The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Default Solid body (Silent) CF ???

Unfortunately, real life gets in the way of my guitar passion way too often - including quite a bit of travel by car and frequent hotel stays.

Although I would not think of hauling around a wooden guitar in my trunk through hot summers and frigid mid-western winters, and I really don't want something that will bother folks in adjoining hotel rooms, I would really enjoy a good quality, but indestructible (and silent to passers-by) instrument to pass away the evening hours.

To me, a CF or composite solid-body with a big, wide fingerstyle neck and string spacing that I could connect to an iPad or headphone amp would be just the ticket.

Does any such instrument exist? I have seen electrics which are made to be electrics, but none with a wide neck and string spacing that I require.

Jeff
Old 01-02-2012, 05:14 PM

My Yamaha Silent Nylon Guitar has a wider neck, sounds great plugged in, and I can use headphones with it. It packs up easily and fits in an overhead in the plane.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks Lisa. My concern with a wooden instrument is mainly regarding temperature swings sitting in a car trunk all day (hot im summer and frozen in winter).

Have you subjected your Yamaha to such extremes? How did it handle it?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM

I would not worry about extremes with this guitar except that it does have the built in electronics. I did upgrade the tuners as the ones on it were junk. I have a feeling once I get my Shorty that I won't play it much anymore...

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber