The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 AM

Default TShorty, OM, or Lucky 13?

I am looking for a smaller bodied guitar with a full sound. I am presently looking at Shorty, Rainsong OM, and Lucky 13. I strum and play folk type finder style. I mainly use it as a solo gig or to accompany the family. I may end up going to a smaller travel guitar, but I am concerned they won't produce the volume I am after.

If anyone has played them I would love to hear your impressions, especially if you have the chance to play more than one of them
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 AM

I have played the Shorty and am amazed at the sound that comes out of it. What is incredible is that the recordings are true to what you are getting. Robin's recording of the Shorty and MacNichols recordings are excellent. If you like short scale guitars then I would go for the Shorty. If you want a full scale, then go for the OM. The unidirectional top is what separates the Rainsongs from other CF guitars IMHO.

The Blackbird is the only CF guitar that I have not played as Kramster does not have one!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
I have played the Shorty and am amazed at the sound that comes out of it. What is incredible is that the recordings are true to what you are getting. Robin's recording of the Shorty and MacNichols recordings are excellent. If you like short scale guitars then I would go for the Shorty. If you want a full scale, then go for the OM. The unidirectional top is what separates the Rainsongs from other CF guitars IMHO.

The Blackbird is the only CF guitar that I have not played as Kramster does not have one!!
The OM comes in al the different tops so depending on the model you will get different tones so you will have to try each one. Yuo should try a CA OX as a comparison as well.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM

I've played a Rainsong OM and a Lucky 13 - I have my preference but I do have to say they are very, very different animals. For folky strumming I'd go the rainsong, for blues/picking I'd go the lucky 13. I personally have a CA GX which IMHO is well worth trying.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 AM

I had a CA Legacy which I sold foolishly. It has a great guitar, but it was missing some sparkle. I think the GX would be a winner. The OX raw seems like a good option also, but I have read it isn't the best strummer.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 AM

I think the Emerald X10 is also in this size range. Hopefully there might also be an X10-OS coming soon, but no positive word yet on this. The offset sound hole seems to add a deeper bass response--at least it did for the X7-OS.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:45 AM

X10-OS could be the ticket
Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM

For your described playing style, which is similar to mine, I'd vote for the Studio OM, which is what I bought after trying several. I spent some serious time comparing the S-OM to the Shorty in Ted's shop, and still prefer the S-OM by a small margin. Interestingly, I think the shorty sounds slightly better to the player, but out front I thought the full scale S-OM had the edge. Ted has described the full scale OM as punchier than the Shorty and I guess that's right since I tend to prefer punchier sounding guitars. I also generally prefer the FT finish since it yields a warmer sound than the gloss finish models.

The L13 is a different beast altogether, made to yield a bluesier sound. I defer to TDQ's opinion on that since he's a real blues player. I didn't love the L13 for either strumming or melodic fingerstyle play, but I can see how you might really enjoy it for blues.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

PM sent your way.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM

I traded for a used Rainsong OM full carbon with the N2 neck. It is a very nice guitar. I am a strummer, flat picker and it works for me. It has a lot of volume for its size and, so light. I have the standard weave, if I had to choose I would have gone with the unidirectional but I am happy with it as is.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 AM

How does the Lucky 13 handle heavy strumming?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDavid View Post
How does the Lucky 13 handle heavy strumming?
i really love the lucky 13, but i haven't played the OM too much and haven't played the Shorty yet.

the lucky is the smallest of them all and it has a lot of mojo! of course it handles heavy strumming wonderfully (you would need to consider maybe a higher set up at the saddle if you play too heavy). i absolutely love it for fingerstyle.

regarding the X10-OS: Emerald guitars has just announced for the next months the release of a X20-OS, but i've hear it will not be much larger than the X10 but with enormous sound (in fact, Alistair Hay, the CEO of Emerald, says that it feels smaller than it looks). i'm madly waiting for this one to be released
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber