The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Rainsong H-DR1100N2

So I received this guitar today, and I have to say that it plays and sounds incredible. Great evenly balanced tone, with a nice jangle in the high end. This is a very satisfying guitar to play in that it is very loud and resonant. It seems to sustain forever. Tonally, It almost reminds me of a Martin mahogany dread, but with more sustain.

The jury is still out on the Elixir strings, but after about 3 hours of play, they seem to be settling in a bit. Initially, they were bright and harsh, and I really did not like them, but they are mellowing a bit. I may try some other strings at some point.

The build quality is beautiful, and it's feather light. I was thinking that I would change the stock Gotoh tuners out for the 21:1 ratio Gotoh Delta 510 tuners, but honestly, the stock tuners are very solid, smooth and really nice. I also like the look of the 510's but after playing the guitar today, I have no plans to change them at this time. I will however, replace the tuner buttons with black ones, as I think it will be a nicer match cosmetically with the guitar.

All in all, I am very happy with this guitar. I will report back again after the honeymoon phase with another update.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:49 AM

Glad to hear you like the new RainSong. I've had that same model for over a year now and like it a lot.

For strings, give the John Pearse PB lights a try .. they seem to work well on mine.

Ray
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 AM

Nice buy of a fine guitar,,, should last you a few thousand yrs or so and should "open up" just after about 900 yrs ...just sayin'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
Glad to hear you like the new RainSong. I've had that same model for over a year now and like it a lot.

For strings, give the John Pearse PB lights a try .. they seem to work well on mine.

Ray
Thanks for the suggestion......I may actually try some Martin PB light strings that I play on my D28 Marquis Madagascar first as I already have them on hand. I tend to like PB tones better than 80/20, which always sound a bit too bright to me. I would imagine that a CF would accentuate that brightness a bit more as well.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice buy of a fine guitar,,, should last you a few thousand yrs or so and should "open up" just after about 900 yrs ...just sayin'.
Yeah....Can't wait for it to open up!

My Martin is a little more than a year old, and that Adirondack Spruce is one tough customer when it comes to getting her to open up.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 AM

Congrats! Post some pics, if possible.

Looking forward to your "after the honeymoon" review. Enjoy!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new new Rainsong. I love my H-OM1100N2, but wish more stores carried them so that I could compare different sizes/models...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-07-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
Congrats on the new new Rainsong. I love my S-OM1100N2, but wish more stores carried them so that I could compare different sizes/models...

I agree. In my neck of the woods (although a 1.5 hour drive) I understand that Mandolin Brothers carries the different Rainsong models. Between the cost of tolls and gas, I could probably order two Rainsong guitars from MF to try (an OM and WS) for 45 days and send the one back that I don't want. LOL!!

I am interested in a WS body shape at some point. I've never been an OM fan, as they have always sounded small and boxy to me. The Youtube clips of the Rainsong OM sound interesting, as it certainly sounds bigger than a wooden OM, but I just gravitate to the sound of larger guitars.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:24 AM
*mahoganut*

Congrats! I like my OM - and although on the sonically "lesser end" than the WS or DN, I love the packability.

I switched the Tusq saddle for bone, and although a slight change, it took just a touch of the brashness out of the tone to my ear. Worth a $20 test.

I use Martin SP PBs or D'Addario PBs on all my guitars - inexpensive, great tone, good looks (the SP high e and b are bronzed). I left the original Elixirs on for now but will shift that direction - or to the Cleartone coated Martin SP+ PBs (as this is my "take it anywhere" guitar!).

Best,

Phil
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Congrats! I like my OM - and although on the sonically "lesser end" than the WS or DN, I love the packability.

I switched the Tusq saddle for bone, and although a slight change, it took just a touch of the brashness out of the tone to my ear. Worth a $20 test.

I use Martin SP PBs or D'Addario PBs on all my guitars - inexpensive, great tone, good looks (the SP high e and b are bronzed). I left the original Elixirs on for now but will shift that direction - or to the Cleartone coated Martin SP+ PBs (as this is my "take it anywhere" guitar!).

Best,

Phil
Hey Phil......Thanks for your note. I did listen to your sound clips, and truth be told, I thought the Tusq sounded better in your clips (at least to my tastes). I thought the bone saddle thinned things out a bit too much.

I don't think the Tusq saddle lends to a brash tone, as I have had them on a number of other acoustics and never had a problem. The initial brightness and slight harshness was due specifically to the Elixir 80/20 strings.

The reason I know this now, is that after putting about 10 hours on the guitar, the tone has mellowed considerably, and sounds really good now. I think these strings just take a little time to settle in. I am still going to try some PB strings on it as well. "Taste testing" different string types is fun and relatively inexpensive, and the rewards can be great if you find your magical combination.

Again, this is clearly all subjective, as everyone hears things differently. Nice to have so many options.

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

As I amass some hours on this beauty, I wanted to note that the N2 neck is ridiculously comfortable to play!!

I played for a couple of hours yesterday, with no hand fatigue at all. I can't always say as much for my D28 Marquis Madagascar, as the V-Neck sometimes wears on me.

I also really love how alive this guitar feels while I'm playing it. It just resonates so much, and I can really feel it while it's in my hands and on my body as I play.

It's a nice satisfying experience when you play a guitar that sounds and feels great.

I like it more today than I did yesterday, which is a good sign!

DV
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Dave,
Glad you like the RS so much. I have the same guitar and use it constantly to play at church. It's developing a nice sheen under my right arm and in the first position on the neck. I love the thing. I also wanted to replace the stock tuners with 510's (Cosmo black), but realized the screw holes don't match up. So I just replaced the buttons with ebony ones. I love telling people the only wood on the guitar is the tuner buttons.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Dave,
Glad you like the RS so much. I have the same guitar and use it constantly to play at church. It's developing a nice sheen under my right arm and in the first position on the neck. I love the thing. I also wanted to replace the stock tuners with 510's (Cosmo black), but realized the screw holes don't match up. So I just replaced the buttons with ebony ones. I love telling people the only wood on the guitar is the tuner buttons.

Nice Matt. I like the look. I ordered some ebony buttons from LMII, but I wanted the oval ones instead of the kidney bean shape. They don't have them in stock in ebony, but they have them in black horn. I know there is color variation in the black horn material, so not sure if I'm gonna go that route or just wait until the middle of Feb for the oval buttons in ebony to arrive.

Also, I was wondering if there's any different in strength and durability between ebony and black horn. I will call them today to discuss.

Enjoy your RS Matt. I am definitely enjoying mine.

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Hey Matt.....One other question. What are you using to amplify your RS when you play at church (pickups/amp)?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
Hey Matt.....One other question. What are you using to amplify your RS when you play at church (pickups/amp)?

Thanks,
Dave
I play into the house PA. Use an aura 16 pedal into a DI. Sounds great.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber