The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Default "The Hawk" Acoustic Guitar...

A few years ago, my dad gave me an old guitar that he bought in a British junk shop in the early 60's. It was his first decent guitar.
I't s a dreadnaught shape, and its got a tobacco sunburst kind of finish. Not sure what kind of wood its made of. It was clear that it had been modified before he got it (added strap button at the base of the neck, mismatched set of 3 a side tuners). The only identifying feature is a gold print on the headstock. It's a scroll with a flying hawk and it says "The Hawk" on it.
I am not at all interested in selling the guitar, since it has sentimental value and makes a great acoustic for slide, but I would love to know if anyone has any info about it.
I'm tempted to think that it may be a Harmony that was rebranded for something or other, but I'm just guessing. There's no info at all online.

Anyone have any guesses?

I'll try and post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM

I found a little info about the guitars. They are a student quality guitar from the 60s sold by a company called Boosey and Hawkes which was primarily a sheet music distributors.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Might look like this. http://sale.donkiz-ca.com/redir?rd=s...E7C0241A07CDAB

Made by Framus in Germany.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 PM

I found a little info about the guitars. They are a student quality guitar from the 60s sold by a company called Boosey and Hawkes which was primarily a sheet music distributors.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Yes!!! It's the same logo as the Framus!!! That's very exciting! Thank you!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Alex, that's very clearly a re-branded Framus guitar, as you seem to have figured out. The bridge, rosette, screwed-on pickguard and zero fret all are characteristic of Framus-built instruments. But what completely clinches it, in my opinion, is the neck made of thin strips of wood laminated together: that's very typical of Framus guitars.

So far as I'm aware, it's also fairly unique to Framus during this period. Decades later Martin came out with their visually similar "Stratabond" necks, but during the era that this guitar was built, Framus was the only company doing that.

The funny thing about those laminated necks: you'd think they'd be more warp-resistant because of all those layers of wood, but they're not. I've seen several Framus guitars with completely warped laminated necks on them.

Anyway, it's an interesting instrument, one that Boosey and Hawkes clearly had made for them by Framus. Thanks for raising the question - I learned something new today.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion