The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Default Emerald Guitars. Just ordered one.

I have just ordered an Emerald (carbon fibre) X10 Jumbo. The reason being that they are different, if you know what I mean. I have a couple of Stonebridge guitars which I find incredible and really hard to beat, unless I get into the boutique big numbers which are way out of my price range. So, although I haven't played and Emerald, they get great press, and they do come with a 10 day approval. So I guess I am not risking much, other than a bit of inconvenience. I just wonder if I will get that emotional connection that I have to my Stonebridge wooden guitars. After all, wood is beautiful isn't it? Can you get that emotional connection with a lump of graphite? May be the sound transcends that... we shall see. I am about to find out. 4 - 6 weeks delivery. Any Emerald owners out there that have this emotional connection with their carbon fibre?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

stonebrigdian -

Though I don't own an Emerald, I have played a few and they are nice, well made instruments. I do own three CA Guitars (original company) Cargos, so I can address your concern about bonding with a "lump of graphite". I found the Cargo to be (for me) the best match in a guitar. I really like the (very) short scale and the shape that molds so well with the body. It is a very satisfying and comfortable guitar to play. I have a couple of nice wood instruments, but ever since I got the Cargos a few years ago now (i.e. the honeymoon period is long over), the Cargo is my "go to" instrument of choice. So, yes you can "bond" with a non-traditional instrument, depending on what aspects of a guitar are most important to you.

For me, playability is most important and sound is not at the top of the list unless a particular instrument just sounds bad to begin with. The Cargo sounds good to me. It does not have to be "better than" anything else to satisfy me, so I can comfortably acknowledge that there are many fine instruments that will sound better than the Cargo, but it does sound good enough for me.

For those who absolutely must have a traditional wood instrument (and I can certainly understand that), a carbon fiber instrument simply will not do. I don't need to go into all the pros and cons of these choices because that information is already out there. Also, it isn't necessary for me to become "evangelistic" about carbon fiber instruments either. I can comfortably say they work for me and at the same time, realize they won't do for everybody. But if a carbon fiber instrument is right for you, you will know soon enough. If it isn't, well then you will know that too and you can move on to something more suitable to your needs.

Tony
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Congrats on the new Emerald order but I'm a bit confused as to why you are calling the X10 a jumbo. The X10 is a 00 size guitar, at least every one I have had has been.

As for bonding with a lump of graphite, I can assure you that it's no different than bonding with a pile of wood, just takes the right guitar.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Congrats on the new Emerald order but I'm a bit confused as to why you are calling the X10 a jumbo. The X10 is a 00 size guitar, at least every one I have had has been.

As for bonding with a lump of graphite, I can assure you that it's no different than bonding with a pile of wood, just takes the right guitar.
Apologies. It's an X30. Looked at so many of them I'm loosing the plot.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM

For specific information on CF guitars, recommend the forum over on www.Macnichol.com -- Alistair Hay (Emerald Guitars) also contributes from time to time.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Not an emerald, but I do have an emotional attachment to my pre-peavey CA GX. It took a while and some 80/20 John Pearse strings. but it's there now.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:15 AM

as you can see in my signature, i have 6 carbon fiber guitars and i am pretty much attached emotionally. i am also attached to my wooden guitars.

i am attached to the guitars based on the experiences i lived with them, not the material. i had amazing moments with them all. but, for example, i have an electric guitar that i bought from a friend to help him economically and never played it. i am still keeping it to return it to him when he recovers himself economically. it is a gorgeous mint 77 fender mustang!!! but i have no bond with it because i have almost no experiences shared with this guitar

i own 3 emerald guitars and i love them all, no doubt! one of them is a X30 (jumbo) but with 7 strings and it is an amazing guitar. you will absolutely love it. i can't put down mine
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I was just as sceptical as you are when I got my first non-wood guitar last week. Based on the press these guitars get, I was expecting that I'll react like this when i first laid my hand on it "Hey, this is cool, pretty darn good!" But I reacted like this instead "Wow....holy crap! This sounds amazing!"
Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 AM

Thanks for your comments. 3 - 5 weeks to go now. Waiting is not one of my strong points.

cheers

Ian
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM

i bet you will be pretty happy with it!!

please report back whenever you get it!
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_K View Post
i bet you will be pretty happy with it!!

please report back whenever you get it!

Hi Martin

I have just watched a video of you playing a 7 string X30 on Emerald's web site. Fantastic! I keep hitting replay. I have just changed my order to a 7 string, it sounded beautiful. What tuning did you use. 7 strings are a new venture for me though I have been playing 6's and 12's for many years. Can you recommend any good web sites?
Cheers
Ian
Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm really glad that you liked my tune! this is a very dear piece for me

you will be amazed with this guitar. one of the huge benefits of the carbon fiber is that you can build a guitar without minding so much about structural compromises, so it is build in a way the 7th string really does sound amazing. most of guitars with a 7th string sound weak. with this guitar you can even put some really heavy strings to get more tone on the 7th string without caring about breaking it

the tuning i use on this tune is BEADF#BE, that is the standard 7 string tuning with the 3rd string lowered a half step

the most famous resource for multistringed guitars and basses is http://www.sevenstring.org/. sadly, it is most devoted to metal music and electric guitars. it has an active forum and lots of useful information can be found there.

some of my influences are Charlie Hunter and Michael Hedges. i bet you can draw a lot of inspiration for this guitar from them

keep in touch. please, feel free to email me any question
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Still waiting...... Aaaaarrrrgggghhh!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I think an important consideration to appreciating a carbon fiber guitar (and most things in life) is to accept it for what is, not what it isn't. As Ted pointed out, all guitars started out as a lump or pile of something....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-11-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridgian View Post
Apologies. It's an X30. Looked at so many of them I'm loosing the plot.
You will love it...even as a Jumbo it is a very comfortable guitar to play and the sound is terrific. Alistair makes some really nice guitars!

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber