The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Default Washburn Guitars Opinions

I have been playing guitar for a while now, Owned many makes, Martin, Taylor, Fender, Epiphone, Ibanez, and Washburns. My first was a Washburn all laminate d100m, played Well IMO, Gave it to a friend who was learning guitar. Anyway I Have never Understood why Washburns are disliked by so many people. I understand they are not in the same league as Martin's, but for their price points they seem finely built instruments.
I was just Wondering is there a reason why people hate Washburns? Please share opinions.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM

No idea. My niece has a hand me down D10? It's never been taken care of in 10 years, sits in her closet. Last Christmas I put new strings on it for her. Darn if it didn't sound real good. Neck seemed nice, it was holding up well for all it's abuse. Never been in a case either! Go figure.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMedic View Post
Anyway I Have never Understood why Washburns are disliked by so many people. I understand they are not in the same league as Martin's, but for their price points they seem finely built instruments.
I was just Wondering is there a reason why people hate Washburns? Please share opinions.
My guess is that many players who have just graduated from playing entry level Washburn guitars to playing higher grade instruments don't like being reminded of where they started out.

I don't hate Washburn guitars. What's more, I recognize that there are several different grades of instruments put out by Washburn. The better quality ones can be very nice, and of course there are the vintage Chicago-made Washburns built back when Washburn was a trade name owned by the Lyon & Healy company.

Anyway, if you run into someone who spouts derision for Washburn guitars, just take it as an indication of that individual's personal insecurity. Don't take it seriously, whatever you do.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-10-2011, 01:05 AM

A washburn dread was my first acoustic back in the early 90's.

Crappy tone and almost impossible to play (although I realise now it was probably just an action adjustment issue).

As Wade said reminds of the sweat and tears of early on trying to learn basic guitar principles.

Oh ... and I remember bar chords were cloe to impossible ...

Uf .. bad memories.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-10-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post

Crappy tone and almost impossible to play (although I realise now it was probably just an action adjustment issue).

As Wade said reminds of the sweat and tears of early on trying to learn basic guitar principles.

Uf .. bad memories.
There you have it. Not all Washburns are good. I tend to have a higher overall opinion of Washburn than some of the other entry level guitars. But I've ran across a few that were really bad.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post

Uf .. bad memories.

Same here, my Washburn had this weird tone and was way too bright for my taste. I have no idea if the guitar itself was the reason. I mean, I tried different strings and different gauges and all but it didn't satisfy me. :P
Old 04-10-2011, 03:43 AM

Default What I heard from my luthier friend Dave

Dave works at the 12th Fret in Portland and we have been friends way too long.

I asked him about Washburns and he (at the time, and this was a few years ago, when I had a prototype which I didn't much like) said that they were made in Indonesia and that the frets were really bad.

I don't know if this is the case with the guitars being made today. I played a D-12 at The Guitar Center one day and was very impressed with it. But I have played others (including the prototype) that just didn't have the tone of a good guitar.

Still, it's possible to get a very good one - but you have to play a lot of them before you find it.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

I recently purchased a Washburn HB-35, a Gibson 335 clone, and really love it. It's a nice playing, semi-hollow with great appointments, tone, and playability. Came with a hardshell case at a great price...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2011, 06:09 AM

I frankly didn't know there was widespread Washburn hatred.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 AM

Four years ago when I started playing I had a Washburn, and it was such a beautiful looking guitar that over time I bought a few more - four in total. They were a wonderful guitars for me. I've horse-traded them all off by now.

I sold one about two years ago to a coworker, who recently brought it to work. It's a beautiful instrument, and I would very happily buy it back. The tone, playability, and looks were all really nice. About a year ago I sold my last of the four, a spruce/rosewood jumbo. A gorgeous guitar that was a pleasure to play, listen to, and look at. If there had been a different name on the headstock it would have cost a thousand dollars more.

I understand the hit-or-miss argument, but for me, y experience is that Washburns represented a tremendous value.

Fitz
Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 AM

I had a D10SCE, and loved every bit of it! I actually love wasburn guitars.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post
Four years ago when I started playing I had a Washburn, and it was such a beautiful looking guitar that over time I bought a few more - four in total. They were a wonderful guitars for me. I've horse-traded them all off by now.

I sold one about two years ago to a coworker, who recently brought it to work. It's a beautiful instrument, and I would very happily buy it back. The tone, playability, and looks were all really nice. About a year ago I sold my last of the four, a spruce/rosewood jumbo. A gorgeous guitar that was a pleasure to play, listen to, and look at. If there had been a different name on the headstock it would have cost a thousand dollars more.

I understand the hit-or-miss argument, but for me, y experience is that Washburns represented a tremendous value.

Fitz
That's been my overall experience as well. And the ones I found I disliked were usually the bottom of the line models. Just one step up generally was a good guitar.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I frankly didn't know there was widespread Washburn hatred.

Yea, I thought most hate was reserved for Gibson.......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 AM

Im not so sure that everyone hates Washburn - The original american made ones ( early-late 1900 'S) are quite possibly the best made guitar of its time -i own two guitars and two mandolins of that era ( their spectacular ) -the newer ones are not really honest George Washburns-just a company that bought the name -what i think of as starter guitars . They have made a few models in the US when this new company started ,that ive heard are of decent quality -
Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Default I don't think there is hatred for any brand

OK, I don't much like the guitar sets on eBay that are dirt cheap and the guitars are colorful plywood. But Washburn is a good brand, and - as someone said - if you get a something better than their entry-level instruments, you could have nice guitar.

I am not aware of any Gibston haters either. If someone offered me a J45 at a good price, or the John Lennon model (160?) I wouldn't pass either up.

Just occurred to me - I don't think I have ever seen any threads about Dean guitars. A few years ago, they offered an all-solid Sweetwood series. The price was very low and they looked great. I was going to buy one, but then I missed my chance. Dang.

Mitchell is another brand. I think the original Mitchells were hand made, but the more recent ones are fairly inexpensive and not very good.

Oh, there was, and may still be, a line of Indiana guitars. I was quite taken with the Syracuse model and found one on eBay for cheap. Bought it right away. It was pretty bad, but I worked on it to sound half-way decent. It was a very good looking guitar, but it was I think all laminate. That model has been discontinued, but they still have the 'Scout' model which, in addition to looking like a normal guitar, have offerings where the tops are painted as flags - Britain, USA, rebel, etc.

Last edited by RussMason; 04-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion