The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Default Bashkin Collectors Series "Great Wave" OM with pics and video

Hi guys,
as many of you may be aware I currently have a very exciting build on the go from current Somogyi apprentice Jason Kostal. If you haven't seen it, it's here!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=200003

While I wait "patiently" for this guitar to be built I have found myself in the slightly surreal position of not actually owning a guitar for the first time in nearly 30 years!

However, I have been kept company in the interim by this exquisite instrument built by Michael Bashkin.

The "Great Wave" OM is one of Michael Bashkin's collector's series guitars and features some fairly impressive specs. It's built in Brazilian Rosewood with an Adirondack top, fan-fret, soundport, fossilised walrus ivory nut and to cap it all a stunning headstock inlay by the wonderful Jimmi Wingert.

Serious big boy's toy!

I met up with "Sound on Sound" magazine's Bradley Steenkamp last week, and after having some fun comparing mic placements etc we got inspired and shot a couple of videos.

The guitar was mic'd M/S with the LDC on fig 8. you can watch the first video "The Virtuous Circle" here:http://vimeo.com/18677854

As you might imagine this instrument has left quite an impression on me. While my new Kostal will be the polar opposite tonally I can honestly say the the Great Wave is objectively a SUPERB instrument and it's been a real pleasure getting to know it.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I played the one on the left at Healdsburg. It was one of my favorite guitars at the show. Love the inlay.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Oh hurt me... ;-)
Gosh those are beautiful! One time playing one of Michael's fan fret's was enough to give me GAS for life, or until I could afford it someday.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-12-2011, 03:04 PM

What a beautiful guitar. Kind of like you I recently sold my nice Taylor to get some money to pay for a guitar I commissioned. I figured I would be able to wait out the 7 months with my 2 PRS and a few beater acoustics. I lasted about 4 days without a nice acoustic. On the eve of the 4th day I ordered a Taylor GS Mini and it's doing a pretty good job of holding me over so far.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM

What a phenomenal sounding instrument! Wonderful playing As well, the song really brings out the guitars unique voice. Fantastic all around.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I was just admiring that guitar on Mr. Bashkin's website last night! Beautiful piece, Michael!! Vimeo is such a superior place for uploading things like this. Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 PM

That video was awesome! Thanks for sharing...gets me anxious for mine to be finished (almost there!)...Keep the videos coming!

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 AM

Thanks Michael I really enjoyed that.

The build of my second Bashkin is about to start, great timing.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 AM

All the recent Bashkin talk, build threads, reviews and great comments are NOT helping my impatience in the least !!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

I am the fortunate owner of one of the "Collector Series" Bashkins- a Placencia. Dealing with Michael has been a wondeful artistic and human experience. While it was born a great instrument in the first place, I can positively say after about one year and a half it is getting even better and better with time- I mean noticeably better, if that is at all possible. How to describe this? Richer, more responsive and vibrant, more and more "unchained", if that makes sense in English. Every day I come to love a new aspect of it. Like, the way Michael has shaped the neck makes me enjoy the extra-room available with the wider nut I requested ( I also play the classical) without any extra effort- it is much easier to play than the Martin 00028VS I used to own (a beautiful sounding guitar indeed, by the way). I could continue but...you get the picture. Highly recommended.

best regards
Massimo
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM

"Bashkin collector series" almost sounds redundant. I understand they are all made to be played but I have yet to see one that isn't worthy of anyone's collection.

Very nice.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for posting and uploading a video. What an amazing sounding instrument, and great playing!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 AM

It certain should be a great guitar- I remember at goodacoustics we ordered it as a shop front guitar but it was sold to a collector before we took delivery of it!

Never mind, there are always more Bashkins to be had- I should really get some video of an LS redwood/ Firestorm cocobolo out!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

And...by the way, great playing Michael!

best regards
Massimo
Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM

i think Mr. Watts is my new hero! You should all check out he video's on his website, WHOA! Beautiful guitar too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop