The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM

Default NGD-Rainsong Hybrid Studio Dread

Just received my Rainsong Hybrid Studio Dread from Ted at LA Guitar Sales. He has been a pleasure to do business with. I have had a little time with this thing and it is sweet. The tone and range is incredible and I love the CF (ok hybrid CF and GF) weave pattern. This is a cool guitar that I am looking forward to being able to enjoy without having to be worried about every little ding and dent. I am also looking forward to being able to play out at church and not worry about it being left in the hot car while we go out to lunch. The finish is textured, similar to the RT finish on the CA guitars. Satin finish, with a nice smooth 1 3/4" neck. I did add a little wood to it- put some ebony tuner buttons on the nice stock Gotoh tuners. My only complaint(s) are that they put tuners on the guitar that have the Grover style screw on the back, so no clean upgrade to a set of cosmo black 510's like I wanted to, and the TRC. Rainsong can make an entire guitar out of CF, but can't save a little piece to make a truss rod cover? I may add a nice satin ebony one with some abalone from Bill Nichols. I love this guitar.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-31-2010, 06:26 PM

Very nice... sound sample?? Videos??
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 PM

I love the ok I bought from Ted
It has a great neck
I highly recommend them
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 PM

I don't have the recording equipment at hand to do this guitar justice. There is a video of this model on The Podium's website that really gives you an idea on the tone it is capable of. Compare it with the other guitars there. It holds it's own.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 PM

Sorry om
Writing on an iphone
Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 AM

Here are some videos I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7quciRCgf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddKTUBmAvg

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 AM

I have the WS Hybrid stopping by for a week to try on Jan 4th... would like to try the dread as well... guess at the show I will be able to compare
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 AM

Kramster,

After talking to Ashvin (wicked nice guy!), they really do go for different sounds with each guitar. The WS 1000N2 I played at GC was incredible. I hope you will also be able to play their OM at NAMM. John Cotter my set up guy, played his older Rainsong OM with the N1 neck the other day for me. Fantastic sound.

Kramster, maybe you will own each of the Rainsong models like your Composite Acoustics...then I can play them side by side!!!!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 AM

FYI-both of the videos above are of the Hybrid dread in the gloss finish. My guitar is the new hybrid studio which has a matte, textured finish. This audio clip from the podium, and being able to listen to other great guitars recorded w the sameics and playing the same melodies really sold me on the tone.

http://www.thepodium.com/p-17111-rai...eadnought.aspx

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 01-01-2011, 08:57 AM

I think it sounds really good. I also think that carbon guitars will take off once they are able to sell them for below a grand. There has got to be a huge market for a guitar that sounds good and is way more durable then a wood guitar. I guess Ovations are maybe somewhat like that, I've just never played one that sounded good unplugged....
Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Other than less expense, any benefits to the hybrid? Different sound? Any cons of the hybrid? Is the hybrid less durable?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM

Matt,

Thanks for posting the link! You know, I played a Rainsong about four years ago, and honestly, it was horrible. They have really moved forward, and IMHO, it is a completely different company today.

I like the fact that Rainsong is trying different tops/sides outs, using glass, woven carbon fiber, etc. shows me that they are an innovative company. Again, IMHO, I think they are making the best graphite guitar today. I think the only thing missing from their arsenal, is a travel guitar.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
I think it sounds really good. I also think that carbon guitars will take off once they are able to sell them for below a grand. There has got to be a huge market for a guitar that sounds good and is way more durable then a wood guitar. I guess Ovations are maybe somewhat like that, I've just never played one that sounded good unplugged....
I have owned a bunch of ovations and adamas guitars and love their aesthetics but agree-I was always left disappointed in the tone. I love wood guitars but also enjoy alternate materials, shapes and textures in guitars.
On your point regarding the affordability of CF guitars, not to discuss prices here, but this guitar was not much over $1k with fishman electronics on board.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Matt,

Congratulations on getting your RainSong! I love mine and have never looked back after buying them as worthy companions to my fine solid wood guitars. The age of carbon guitars is here for guitarists willing to venture forth into it--Nothing will be lost and there's much to gain!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM

At the same time I was buying this rainsong I was looking for a traditional dread in the vain of a D18GE or HD28. I was able to find a used Breedlove revival DM deluxe that is on the way. I will still have that pre war adi and hog dread and, in buying it used I had enough to buy a GS Mini.

1998 Very Sweet Wife

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber