The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 PM

Default Please help! Talk me into/out of a carbon fiber guitar!

This place has so much info! I'm at overload!

As I posted recently, my dear Gibson J30 needs to be retired. The neck needs a reset and I'd rather keep the action high, use lighter strings and keep it as a cowboy-chord strummer than kill it.

So I'm looking into replacements in the 1k-1600 range. I'm playing mostly fingerstyle/tapping/etc. (in the same general vein of Kaki King and Andy McKee, but more...melodic? maybe? Not as crazy as them).

I use tunings that are half a step down standard and lower. A lot of alternate tunings: open D flat, then sometimes dropping the 6th string down to a G flat. This obviously works the instrument pretty good. So I'm considering getting something like the Rainsong Studio series, but I do have some traditionalist tendencies that are keeping me from pulling the trigger.
It sounds shallow, but if I could get a Rainsong Studio with a finish that didn't show the weave, I'd probably pull the trigger. The low maintenance is a huge plus, but I'm worried the sound will be too...hifi? There are no dealers anywhere nearby that I can try one at, so I'd be going into this kind of blind. Local shops are kind of a joke in terms of having anything other than low-end stuff.

I need a trussrod, so that rules out CA and a lot of the Rainsongs. In terms of sound, I tend to favor Gibson and Martin over Taylor. I also need a 1 3/4 neck. Electronics are a plus.

Any suggestions from anyone? I really appreciate it! Sorry for the lengthy post.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:33 PM

They take forever to open up

; )

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 10-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Wood is better....
Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Not to re-ignite debate, but I've used my CA OX in a bunch of different tunings with medium and light and combo strings and never saw the action change.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Tarpman vendor on this forum has a decent return policy (bought used CA Ox from him). He will also answer any questions you might have, seems to be well respected around here, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another carbon guitar from him, I probably will in due time. I played a few Rainsong guitars, one that I really liked was a new hybrid series, sounded pretty warm to me. I just put some Martin Silk and Steel strings on my CA and love the mellow, dark sound I am getting out of it, didn't quite like it with D'Addario PB Lights. I like the fact that these guitars are light, responsive, single notes ring clear as a bell and overall I feel they are good value for the money spent - it ought to outlive me with some common sense and good care. I feel that with time prices will come down and these instruments will become a lot more affordable/accessible to everyone. It is not a magic bullet solution, but I feel they bring a lot to the table.
One thing that I like about CA versus Rainsong is that the neck is integrated into the body, reach to upper frets is effortless due to the efficient design. Stainless steel frets are another thing I like about CA vs Rainsong.
Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

i love my cargo - just love everything about it. i didn't like rainsongs because they have less bass response, and i've played every model as far as i know. i love the bass of the ca's, and while mine was a little boomy, a change to DR rares took care of that and it sounds great.

as i understand it, carbon fiber is too stiff to use a truss rod - what you get is what you get. but i could be wrong, so why not ask tarpman? when last i was at his store, he had a few more ca's and a bunch of rainsongs.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Play some. If you like the sound, get one. I've never tried one I liked so I don't have one.

Ed
Old 10-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Ovation and/or Adamas.

I usually gig with my Ovations. My next living room guitar might be a Martin D-18 or HD-28, but my next working guitar will likely be an Adamas 2080.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Sounds like a Rainsong Hybrid Studio would work perfectly for you. We could set it up with mediums which will work best for your open tunings and although the carbon fiber necks don’t move very much you will appreciate the adjustable truss rod.

I have all three sized available with and without electronics and now that you are a member here you will qualify for the “AGF price“ which will get you one of these guitars close to the lower end of your budget.

I'm actually thinking of doing an AGF special of the week featuring the Rainsong HS models.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:51 PM

I have a Blackbird Rider travel guitar. Looks a little funny, but plays beautifully and is very rugged. I like wood also, but this little guitar has made me see that carbon fiber has its place.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 PM

I played a Rainsong this week at a local shop and was really impressed with the sound and playability. I'm not sure what model it was but it had a cutaway and electronics. Didn't plug it in, just played it acoustically, but it had a big, bold sound.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinandwhatno View Post
...Any suggestions from anyone? I really appreciate it! Sorry for the lengthy post.
Hi A&wn…
My suggestion is figure it out for yourself, and till you are sure, don't do anything.

We can only tell you our opinion, and we don't have to live with the guitar after you keep/sell/buy it. What on earth do my views have to do with your likes or dislikes.

Please keep us posted, but please make up your own mind based on what makes you happy. Otherwise you will just be back here asking us where to sell your less-stellar-than-predicted-guitar.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-23-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all of the replies! I'm definitely not going to base my decision soley on someone else's advice, but I do like getting other opinions/suggestions.

The bummer is that there is practically no way for me to try out anything other than entry level Taylors and Martins without driving 4 hours one way. By the time I factor in travel expenses and being away, I may as well order online and eat the shipping/restocking if it doesn't pan out.

Again, I really appreciate the posts! This is one of the friendliest forums I've ever been on.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:38 PM

I had a Blackbird Rider for a very short time. It had a horrible hollow/metalic tone. It is the only guitar I own/owned that disappointed me.

Scott
Old 10-23-2010, 05:20 PM

I actually see things very much like you. Played a CA 7 years ago in Nashville on a college trip with my son and was blown away by how woody this carbon guitar sounded. You are feeling the same frustration that many of us feel in that most of us just can't drive a few miles and try them out. In Ohio there is no dealer of any carbon guitar. I actually utilized a trip to St. Paul 2 years ago to stop by a Chicago Music shop that had 10 CA's and 5 Rainsongs and all the wood guitar you can imagine. Could do just what you want to do: played them side by side. What I came away with is that both CA and Rainsong make great guitars you can't really go wrong with either. I ended up with a CA because like you I wanted a guitar that looked and sounded like a traditional wood one. I ended up buying a tobacco burst CA Legacy Vintaged voiced. From 10 feet you would think I have a wood sunburst guitar, I love that. But may not be important to many. It is now my main guitar. The lack of a trust rod does not bother me as my relief is perfect and I am kind of glad I don't have to worry about it ever changing. I don't think you can go wrong with a Rainsong. I bought my guitar from Tarpman and he knows his carbon. I love Rainsongs craftmanship and lightweight. Their new line is said to sound even more woodlike and have the trust rod you desire but I think will never use!!. You need to get one in your hands somehow and see if it works for you. Good luck. Are you off for a vacation or business trip soon?
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber