The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Emerald

I picked up an Emerald for the first time today. It was the 3/4 size one that is the answer to the Cargo i guess. I think it was the X5-Life in the natural carbon gloss.

First impressions were: It came in a nice gig bag and the guitar was pretty.

Next: When i picked it up i noticed that it was SUPER light weight and heavy in the neck. The fit and finish was very nice. The tuners were the style where you put the string through the hole and tighten a thumb screw on the back of the headstock to grip the string. I don't know what the brand was or ratio.

Last: I strummed an A, D and a E one time each. The sound was frightful! It was kind of like a $4 uke from a dollar store. One of the guys at the store picked it up and played it for about 30 seconds. I couldn't wait for him to stop!

No one in their right mind could ever compare the Emerald X5-Life to a Cargo or even a Yamaha FG-JR except in size.
The Emerald would not even make a good canoe paddle.
Gretch Resonator
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindonn View Post
I picked up an Emerald for the first time today. It was the 3/4 size one that is the answer to the Cargo i guess. I think it was the X5-Life in the natural carbon gloss.

First impressions were: It came in a nice gig bag and the guitar was pretty.

Next: When i picked it up i noticed that it was SUPER light weight and heavy in the neck. The fit and finish was very nice. The tuners were the style where you put the string through the hole and tighten a thumb screw on the back of the headstock to grip the string. I don't know what the brand was or ratio.

Last: I strummed an A, D and a E one time each. The sound was frightful! It was kind of like a $4 uke from a dollar store. One of the guys at the store picked it up and played it for about 30 seconds. I couldn't wait for him to stop!

No one in their right mind could ever compare the Emerald X5-Life to a Cargo or even a Yamaha FG-JR except in size.
The Emerald would not even make a good canoe paddle.
Here is then X5 paddle in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMYy_qbQJMo

Hope you enjoy...and you are probably wrong about it not being a good paddle, in a pinch it may just meet the need.
Truly the X5 is not a Cargo competitor it is way smalller though keeps a standard scale. I believe it may even predate the Cargo. It is a small travel guitar and many people feel it holds it own very nicely in that category. It was quite likely my guitar you saw and really its okay it was not your cup of tea but at least now you know.

Last edited by jkwrpc; 05-08-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindonn View Post
I
The X5 should only be compared tonally to other "sub-compact" guitars like the Go, Martin Backpacker, Washburn Rover, or the Blackbird Rider. Comparing it to Parlor size guitars is not really fair. In it's size group I find the X5 to be an outstanding guitar with excellent intonation, great playability, beautiful fit and finish and it's extremely durable. What more could you want out of a backpacker guitar?

BTW, they just released a larger version, the X7 which is the size of the Cargo for folks who want a little bigger sound and don't need such a small guitar. It's coming next week and it will be the same price as the X5. Stay tuned.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:14 AM

I used to own an Emerald X10 Opus 000 (maybe 00) size guitar that was one of those guitars I wish I wouldn't have sold. One of the best couch guitars ever.
Christian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber