The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Default Padded Portable Chair/Stool?

Hey all,
I go into nursing homes and entertain. I'm using a padded piano bench to sit on. Because it does not have back support, I'm starting to get back aches after the hour session. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or possibilities where I could pick up a portable padded stool/chair with back support? I've googled with no luck so far. I know it's a long shot but I figured it never hurts to ask. Thanks in advance.
Jack
Old 05-05-2010, 08:06 AM

have you looked into the sound seat (I think thats what it is called)?

made by a member on this forum, I believe.

www.andrewsullivanmusic.com

Facebook - YouTube - Twitter - Instagram
Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSkiDrew View Post

I'll do that now. Thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 AM

Check Walmart on line. They have a padded bar stool. I know a guy that has had back surgery and he uses one of these.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

SoundSeat is no longer available. The maker of the SoundSeat (J.R. Baker) hopes to be making and selling similar chairs again in the future but the company under which they were previously sold has been shut down along with the name "SoundSeat". Or at least that was the situation as of a couple months ago...
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 AM

These are great:

http://originalguitarchair.com/store...0c239eacb59bad
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the info on SoundSeat, Brent. You are correct, they are no longer in business. Much has to happen before J.R. Baker, a great guy and former AGF Sponsor, can go back to doing what he does best. I can't divulge any confidences, but suffice it to say that the problem arose from business disputes with a silent partner.

As popular as SoundSeats were, I don't remember ever seeing a used one up for sale. Their owners are sitting on them, both literally and figuratively, and no one wants to give theirs up. They are that good. A lot of people would love to see J.R. building seats again!

cotten
Old 05-05-2010, 09:40 AM

I have one of these and it works great - pretty good price. There two models- model #2 with the footrest and stand is the best deal. Available from lots of online dealers.

http://www.farleysessentials.com/pro...cific=jogsfoj0
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSkiDrew View Post

I believe they are out of production for awhile; unclear why; but it has had good reviews.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM

None of the drummers I've known over the years were too bright but they all had the remarkable ability to make it through 3 and 4 hour gigs without complaining about their butt hurting, while I start aching in my office chair in front of my computer screen after about 30 minutes! So with that insight I decided to check out what our percucssionist brethren were using to achieve ergonomic comfortus maximus. After a trip to my local full service music store and a bit of serious sitting and playing guitar on about a dozen different drum seats I purchased a Roc N Soc drummer's throne.

Most comfortable seat I've ever had. Adjustable height, optional back available, motorcycle or round seat shape, breaks down into 2 very storable/portable pieces. Well balanced and stable. Built like a tank. Not cheap but...did I mention that its comfortable, oh yeah!

Used it at a recent music festival performance and was delighted with the comfort and ergonomics.

And now my wife has started using it as her piano bench! Gonna have to get her one of her own.

Here's the link to the 'throne' I bought. Check out the rest of the site for different styles (stools, towers, etc). http://www.rocnsoc.com/manual-spindles.html

Also lots of other companies in the 'drum throne' business too. Take a look at one of the 'big box' music store online catalogues for some ideas.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion