The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Question Are dean guitars any good

I found a Dean guitar but dont no if it will b worth the buy. any thoughts?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 AM

I had a Rosewood Dean Sweetwood that was really awesome. That's the only acoustic Dean guitar I've ever played that I liked. I do own many electric Deans though. Some of the 80s Zs and E'Lites are simply awesome. The Czech Dean electrics are also very, very nice.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 AM

im thinkin bout the Dean Vendetta XM
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Any positive remarks that I have heard about Dean acoustics have been very rare.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcreason View Post
im thinkin bout the Dean Vendetta XM
That is an electric guitar. You will not get much accurate feedback on this forum.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Google the Dean forum and ask over there.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 PM

I used to work in a guitar/music shop, and we had some Dean acoustics through that had a kind of quilt photo laminate "denim" coloured top, plastic finish a mile thick and HORRIBLE nut setups.
I think they were aimed at rock kids who played mostly electric, but they weren't good guitars, and they retailed at alot more than some much nicer instruments.
They were horrible, I don't know if they do any higher end models, but those were some of the worst non entry level priced guitars I have ever seen.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 04-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

it wouldn't be worth it for me, but maybe would be for you. depends on what you're looking for. the deans i tried didn't sound as good as other brands in their price range, and mostly seemed dedicated to looking cool at the cost of sound quality.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Some Dean guitars are ok. My daughter has a Dean acoustic which is so-so. Not bad for the money I guess.

But the guitar you mentioned is an electric. It appears to be their bottom level electric. I wouldn't expect much from an electric guitar that sells new for under $150. There are lots of strat-style electric guitars in this low-end price range; Dean is probably as good as anything else in that price range.

Are you just learning ? or do you have some experience already ? Best to try something out if you can.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Honestly, Dean is more of an electric guitar company (their electric guitars are very very good). It almost feels like they made acoustic guitars as an afterthough. Like they were told that because they are a guitar company they have to make acoustic also so they just slapped something together and popped a price tag on it.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieblz View Post
Honestly, Dean is more of an electric guitar company (their electric guitars are very very good). It almost feels like they made acoustic guitars as an afterthough. Like they were told that because they are a guitar company they have to make acoustic also so they just slapped something together and popped a price tag on it.
It's ten years since the OP. Wonder if he got the Dean and moved out of his parents' house...
Old 01-24-2020, 11:50 AM

I wonder if the OP is still trying to decide 10 years later....
Old 01-24-2020, 11:51 AM

Probably has a real job and kids by now as well

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-24-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It's ten years since the OP. Wonder if he got the Dean and moved out of his parents' house...
LOL, sorry didn't pay attention to the time stamp on this. I just was googling some info on Dean and Schecter guitars and this popped up in my search engine, looked like an interesting thread, since it's been a few years since I've added anything to the forum, thought I'd chime in.
A thread that might be good, is a thread that talks about electric guitar company's that probably should stay away from acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion