The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 01:15 PM

Default Diastone guitar

Anybody have any info on diastone guitars...I have a WGT-65 diastone guitar, made in japan. Have any ideas of what its worth, anybody heard of em or have one? I think they were made in the early 70s but not 100% sure.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Yep, I used to have a Diastone slot head 12 string a few years back. It was bought in the late 70s in UK.

Can't tell you much more. I always considered they were about 'Yamaha' standard at the time.

It was a pleasant box to play, but nothing special.

Sadly, probably not what you wanted to hear (i.e. it's a one off and worth $100,000).

Have you Googled 'Diastone'?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmay View Post
Yep, I used to have a Diastone slot head 12 string a few years back. It was bought in the late 70s in UK.

Can't tell you much more. I always considered they were about 'Yamaha' standard at the time.

It was a pleasant box to play, but nothing special.

Sadly, probably not what you wanted to hear (i.e. it's a one off and worth $100,000).

Have you Googled 'Diastone'?
Yeah I have looked them up, I can't seem to find much about them or the model
Old 03-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Looks like a Gibson copy?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Searching back through my photos, I found my only picture of it. Quite a handsome beastie. Looking at it, I can understand why my 'plain Jane' 28 series guitars appeal. You can just make out the label, which matches the one you've posted. Can't remember anymore details, we parted over 15 years ago.

Last edited by brianmay; 03-21-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long813 View Post
Looks like a Gibson copy?
yeah kinda like the hummingbird
Old 07-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Its one of those obscure companies that made guitars in the 60s/70s in Japan. prob built by Fujigen Gakki

According to Wikipedia:

In 1957 Hoshino Gakki manufactured what would be considered the first of the modern era Ibanez guitars. In 1962, Junpei Hoshino, Yo****aro's son, opened the Tama Seisakusho factory to manufacture electric guitars and amplifiers. The Tama Seisakusho factory produced a line of guitars that included clones of several popular guitars, including the Martin Dreadnought. At the time they were also manufacturing Star Drums, available in either the Imperial or Royal models. Hoshino Gakki stopped making guitars at the Tama Seisakusho factory in 1966 (but continued making Drums) and from then on contracted outside guitar factories, like there main factory and exclusive one in Japan, FujiGen , to make guitars.

FujiGen started in 1960 with the production of violins and classical guitars. In 1962 FujiGen started production of electric guitars. In the 1970s FujiGen started making guitars (OEM) for companies such as Hoshino Gakki (Ibanez), Kanda Shokai (Greco guitars) and Yamaha. In 1977/1978 FujiGen went into a joint venture with Roland Roland Corporation to produce guitar synthesizers. In 1981 FujiGen opted out of acoustic guitar production to mainly concentrate on solid body guitar production. In 1981/1982 FujiGen obtained the Fender Japan contract which lasted until 1996/1997. In mid/late 1992 FujiGen obtained a part of the Orville by Gibson contract which ended in 1998 and from then on have made Epiphone Japan solid body guitars, some Gretsch models and their own branded FgN guitars. FujiGen still do OEM guitar manufacturing for companies like Ibanez and Epiphone but in much smaller quantities than in the past. FujiGen has 3 factories in the Matsumoto area, the Omachi factory, the Hirooka factory (established around 1992) and the main FujiGen factory. FujiGen has also manufactured Variax guitars for Line 6.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Default Martin copy Diastone

I bought a used Diastone SF 118 acoustic back in the mid 80's. I think I paid about $200. It was stolen about a year ago and i've been searching the net hoping to find one for sale. Those who have them keep hold of them. The guy that sold it to me said that Diastone was a Japanese company that made copy guitars during the 70's Gibson and Martins. He told me that SF meant it was Solid top Folk guitar. It had mahogany back and sides and looked like a Martin D28 with the white binding. I remember reading some while ago about some connection they had with Martin. Making a limmited number of Martins for Takamine. I have not seen another one since I bought mine. Really nice guitar that got better with age. Best 200 bucks I've ever spent.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 PM

Default Diastone guitars are good.

I got a model SF 118 on Ebay for 100 bucks, and it's a great guitar for that money. It is made in Japan, probably in the late 60's or 70's, and even after all these years it sounds great and the neck is accurate, stays in tune. It looks like a Martin copy, and I know a Martin from the same vintage is going to be more like 3,000, not 100 dollars ! I'm not a guitar expert but I've owned maybe 40 guitars in my life. I currently have over a dozen.

If you want a well made guitar, with vintage wood 40 or more years old, look for one of these online. I think the top is spruce. bottom inside is a darker wood. all the struts and assembly inside look well done, precise.

You really can't go wrong with a Diastone. I keep mine tuned down to D ( 2 frets down on all strings ) that adds more bass when not used with a capo, and if I want to play it normally I just capo up 2 frets. the neck is very easy, tonality on mine is excellent. If I get maybe 90 percent of the sound quality of a Martin for 5 percent of the cost, I'm all in.

if you see one on Ebay or elsewhere, grab it. They are rare. put it back into circulation. someone will appreciate it. look at it this way, any quality guitar is going to be at least 200 or more, often much, much more. and that would be newer wood, more lamination, etc, and probably lower quality than one of these that you can get for a steal sometimes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion