The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Default Here's my new Composite Acoustic GX HG (or 7M-CE)

I just got my new Composite Acoustic from Buffalo Creek Guitars in Farmville, VAhttp://www.buffalocreekguitar.com/. It may be the GX right before the company changed the model numbers of their guitars.

On the inside label, it says "GX Player" but the case the owner of the shop said it's a 7M-CE. My GX is a high gloss, black all around the guitar except the top shows a bit of the carbon fiber. However, it's not a carbon-burst model.

Here's my guitar:

Here's the new GX:

Mine doesn't have that outer edge of CF...it's just black. Mine also doesn't have the rosette. In addition, mine has the Fishman electronics and only the two dot markers on the 12th:

Here's the rest of the photos:

I love the sound coming out of this GX...especially that click-clicking sound the pick makes when it brushes across the strings. It's a bit more pronounced because of the CF body. Some people may not like that "clicking" sound but I love it.

I also tried the Legacy, the OX, the Cargo and the X. Unfortunately, aside from the legacy, all the other models sounded too small to my ears...like you could definitely tell that they were smaller guitars. This one has some good bass to it, but nothing like the Martin's bass. It's got a full, rich sound. Not quite like a wooden guitar, but that's fine because I didn't expect it to. For those that have not tried one, do yourself a favor and try one already!

An identical new GX HG Carbon Burst model sells for this much>>http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/3758/CA_GX_HG_C.htm

PM me if you want additional info. The guys at Buffalo Creek gave me a GREAT deal...and I mean GREAT

---------------------------------

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
'09 Chuck Gilbert Dread C/M
Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Nice match to my HG X..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM

It looks like you got a cross between a Player and Performer models. My Player does not have a sound hole rosette or "binding" around the edge of the top. My Player does have the same downgraded electronics that yours has. Either way you will love your new CA I am sure.
Gretch Resonator
Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindonn View Post
It looks like you got a cross between a Player and Performer models. My Player does not have a sound hole rosette or "binding" around the edge of the top. My Player does have the same downgraded electronics that yours has. Either way you will love your new CA I am sure.
So I guess we have the same guitar? I've seen some that look like ours buy say "Player Series" inside. By the way, I don't think our electronics are "downgraded." That's what they had in the beginning and they just changed it. Personally, I think the guitar looks better without that big, plastic square box protruding from the side.

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM

I had the Legacy Crown of Thorns model (My son owns this one now). The GX is on my short list of "will own in the future." Gotta get me a CA back in the stable and a GX will be the way I go.

Nice add for you, congrats!
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Nice guitar! I like the rosette and the shine And sound of course
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM

The now-discontinued 7M player had a simple elegance to the design that seemed very much in keeping with the no-nonsense carbon structure. I LIKE the lack of the rosette and the fret markers - very cool. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues2rock View Post
Personally, I think the guitar looks better without that big, plastic square box protruding from the side.
Me too but it costs less then the "box".
Gretch Resonator
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Congrats! You've got a great little guitar. My 7M-CE is my favorite of the guitars I own.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 02-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindonn View Post
Me too but it costs less then the "box".
I leave mine out of the case, just sitting on the stand...that way I grab and go whenever I have the urge. And I don't have that nagging feeling about accidentally dinging my guitar by leaving it out of the case. I still play my Martin and Taylor, but I guess I'm saving their frets for now. They still get played daily so the "opening up" process is not forgotten

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700

Last edited by blues2rock; 02-18-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:48 PM

nice...i really like your GX alot. in fact i prefer this to the tabacco burst or carbon burst ones. no barn door on this model is definitely a plus. enjoy your guitar in good health!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 02-05-2010, 08:57 PM

there was aslo a difference in bracing and voicing between the GX player and GX performer. When I bought my Performer in December of 07 I played a player model too. the player was a bit brighter overall in tone than the player. reminded me of the older braced Taylors where the performer was a more deeper and martinish. the 7MCE was the replacement for the player series and the 8MCE was the replacement for the Performer. I am not sure but the new model withthe link posted is like MY guitar the GX performer not the same as the player. I believe the RT finish may have different bracing than the HG does. At least they did back then. the RT finish was the same bracing and voicing as the Player gloss models.

Last edited by leeasam; 02-05-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
there was aslo a difference in bracing and voicing between the GX player and GX performer. When I bought my Performer in December of 07 I played a player model too. the player was a bit brighter overall in tone than the player. reminded me of the older braced Taylors where the performer was a more deeper and martinish. the 7MCE was the replacement for the player series and the 8MCE was the replacement for the Performer. I am not sure but the new model withthe link posted is like MY guitar the GX performer not the same as the player. I believe the RT finish may have different bracing than the HG does. At least they did back then. the RT finish was the same bracing and voicing as the Player gloss models.
Geez, there's definitely so many different models that we can't keep up with what the exact differences are. Maybe I'll email the company and find out I will tell you though that the Player that I have is bright but still manages to give me good bass.

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
nice...i really like your GX alot. in fact i prefer this to the tabacco burst or carbon burst ones. no barn door on this model is definitely a plus. enjoy your guitar in good health!
Agreed...nothing against barn doors...I just prefer ones without. Also, I don't even have an acoustic amp to plug them into so it's perfect for me!

'09 Martin D35
'08 Taylor 816ce
'73 Yamaha FG700
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 PM

oh the player still had good bass. reminded me of a nice Taylor 410. Just the performer was even a bit deeper than my revoiced 814CE I had and that one was better than Taylor dreads were.

From your label it is a new old stock player model. Nice guitars and sounded nice. When I plaeyd the two -- performer and player the performer was hmm how to say just more richer in tone. kind of right between a MArtin jumbo and my Taylor that I had. Both sounded great I am just into fairly deep sounding guitars. I will say that the player model I played sounded alot better than the RT finish guitars did. don`t know why but the guitars with the RT finish just sounded different to me.

From what I can tell now from the website the GX model uses just one voicing now regardless of finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber