The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Composite Acoustics...

All of a sudden I find myself intrigued to the point of wanting a CA guitar. I'm guessing there are some folks here who have one or more and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on them. Are they everything they say they are? A GXi is sure calling to me even though I've never seen one much less played it?
Many thanks...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 12-24-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:53 AM

I have a CA Cargo that I use during the week when out of town (I am on the road 4 days a week). I really like it - plays well, sounds good especially considering its size, and its durability/portability can't be beat!
2008 ARK Cutaway
Old 12-24-2009, 09:09 AM

I've had a Cargo and Legacy dread, both pretty neat guitars. I bought the Cargo for a trip to Hawaii, and regretted selling it the moment it left the house. I currently have an OX-RAW at my desk at work, and it's a great little guitar that I don't have to worry about being damaged by the lack of humidity. I wouldn't replace my wood guitars with one, but they do serve a purpose. Just my humble opinion.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
All of a sudden I find myself intrigued to the point of wanting a CA guitar. I'm guessing there are some folks here who have one or more and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on them. Are they everything they say they are? A GXi is sure calling to me even though I've never seen one much less played it?
Many thanks...
Just so you have one dissenting voice ;) amidst the amazing devotion of some to these instruments;

I've only played the Cargo (had one since it appeared on the market), but it isn't close to being a decent sounding guitar (at least, mine isn't). It has a lot of freak-appeal and I find myself playing it a lot. It is difficult to damage, and the rest of the claims (aside from the sound) feel true to me.

It is better sounding plugged in than acoustic (usual piezo "splat"/"Quack"). I've done a bunch of youtube recordings on one and they're OK, but for playing out, or recording now, I will stay clear of that one.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Crust View Post
I've had a Cargo and Legacy dread, both pretty neat guitars. I bought the Cargo for a trip to Hawaii, and regretted selling it the moment it left the house. I currently have an OX-RAW at my desk at work, and it's a great little guitar that I don't have to worry about being damaged by the lack of humidity. I wouldn't replace my wood guitars with one, but they do serve a purpose. Just my humble opinion.
As an OX RAW owner too I agree with your humble opinion.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 AM

I too have an Ox Raw and I'm quite impressed with it. However, I would caution that these are handmade guitars http://www.youtube.com/user/MacNicho...50/2QbH8_GnU5k and they appear to have some issues with variability of the neck/body geometry and/or neck relief. Having read some of the discussions on the MacNichols forum http://carbonguitar.com/smf/index.php and other issues, I would only buy a CA that I could evaluate in person.

This is kind of a surprise to me. I had this mental image of big machines stamping out precise duplicates, but these guitars, like custom surfboards and formula one cars, are painstakingly constructed by hand with all the variability that entails.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-24-2009, 10:38 AM

I've had my OX Raw since August and am quite pleased with it. Living in Michigan I find it's a great "4-season" guitar: it is impervious to changes in temperature and humidity, and pretty much stays in tune. It sits out all the time so it's quite convenient. I like being able to leave it in the back seat of the truck and not worry about it, summer or winter.

I have one with the LR Baggs Stage Pro pup and it sounds pretty good amplified. It sounds pretty good w/o being amplified. (It doesn't come close to the sound of my Martin D-35, but I didn't expect it to and the convenience trade-offs are worth it.)

My only c/o were that the fret edges and nut were "sharp" and it slid around while playing it, both sitting and standing. I had the frets and nut taken care of at Elderly (and it was set up so it plays like a dream ) and I used a product called "E-grip" (made for cell phones, laptops, etc.) which solved the slipping problems.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas to all!!

Ray
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Interesting issue raised. I have heard that there is some variability in these carbon instruments which you think would be all the same give the materials. I have one of the orginal Xs from the old factory, number 11. The new factory was intented to reduce some of this variability. Tuff part with a carbon guitar if you can't set it up right from the bridge you are out of luck and sometimes CA's are set up on the high side. They are cool especially electrically, I think the carbon works will with undersaddle pickups.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-24-2009, 12:29 PM

for many years i was a collector and player of steinberger instruments. steinberger necks warped all the time. i especially noticed this in the all-graphite guitars. factor in the fact that you don't have a truss rod and you have a non wood fingerboard surface, you have to find someone who is skillful enough to true the fingerboard properly if you need to 'straighten' the neck. i also noticed that acoustically, even the all-graphite instruments varied quite a bit. like with wood guitars, there were dogs and there were great ones....
Old 12-24-2009, 12:35 PM

I've had two, the CX and the Legacy. THe Legacy wasn't bad at all. IN fact it sounded awesome plugged in. Still it didn't sound like wood. Carbon fiber has it's own tone and I suggest you grab one and play it before you buy.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 12-24-2009, 12:45 PM

I have a Legacy RT finish and like it alot for what it is to me; a nice sounding versatile guitar which is very durable. I leave it in my car all the time, 0 degree winters to 100 degree summers, covered only with a blanket. Had it for a year and a half never an issue, always in tune. Never need to baby it, humidify it or set it up when the seasons change.

I wouldn't get rid of my wood guitar (only 1 now!) but it is a great 2nd guitar for what I use it for.

Kevin
Old 12-24-2009, 03:01 PM

They seem a little pricey to me for a "throw it in your car and go" guitar. But it really would be nice to not have to worry about moisture and sun at festivals, not to mention scratches and dings.

Tom
Old 12-24-2009, 03:12 PM

I just bought a CA Legacy Raw. It sounds pretty good, close to a good wood guitar. It has its own voice, heavy on the mids, light on the rest. Great fretboard. Action on mine was set too high to accomodate my request for medium strings. At the recommendation of the dealer (and at his cost) I shipped the guitar back to them to be setup for the standard light strings.

You can read my prelim review at:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=171933

Given the climate I live in, cold in winter, hot and humid in the summer, I hope the CA will be my live guitar...

JackL
Old 12-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I have a cargo, the small travel size and I like it alot
I tried the bumpy finish ones that were colored, and I thought they sounded muffled

the smooth finish one I have sounds wonderful
incredible sustain and tone for a small instrument

BIG THUMBS UPS from this end!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM

I love mine and have been told it sounds great. Sounds good to me too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber