The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-31-2009, 09:59 PM

Talking Mayes Build L-32 Thread

I'm very excited to say that my Mayes build is now underway. Really, I'm shocked to report having started a 2nd custom build while still in the process of waiting on my Cornerstone... but I couldn't pass up on a Mayes once I saw that John was back building guitars under his name. Truth be told, I was about to contact John to grab a build slot a little while back just before he stopped taking orders. So earlier this year when I saw a thread pop up about a new sponsor: Mayes Guitars, I was eager to find a way to make this one happen-- interesting to note that waiting paid off as John's base price has come down from where it was when he stopped taking orders a couple years back!

John has been on the ball as we hammered out details... I think a good chunk of it even occurred while he was recovering from a hospital bed from his iPhone. Dedicated to his craft

Anyway, I've decided on the smallest body that he offers. Still not a slouch in it's own right. It's scheduled to have Brazilian back and sides with various Brazilian appointments. Adirondack top of course.

Choosing the Brazilian was interesting... John supplied lots of sets to pick from.
I kind of liked this figured set initially

but then we decided to try to find something more traditional...something with less wild grain.

I thought we might have a winner with this set...

...but I wasn't 100% sold.
John graciously went back to his supplier for one last look through the stash.

Then he came back with 3 more sets, one of which was this set:

Big grin followed that email!! We'd found "the" set!

Now the fun of watching flat plants become a handcrafted instrument.
This should be fun!!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM

My Brazilian set in John's workshop... Ready to get to work. I especially like the sides... Incredible straight grain and chocolaty coloring.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Very cool stuff Travis I'm glad its getting started!!! You are in for a real treat!!!! Fine looking woods also!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

YAHOO Travis ! Great looking set of wood to start with. And I am going to be darned jealous of you getting two such nice bespoke guitars built for yourself at once! LUCK!

JOHN H
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 AM

Beautiful wood, congratulations!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 08-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Here's an update on the sides taking shape. I would love to see this real time... does the heating and bending take quite awhile? or does a couple hundred degrees make the sides like putty? hmmmm....

Brazilian sandwich in the making...

...holding of breath-- as the sides start their decent into a new, lifelong position...

This one kinda looks like both sides are bent simultaneously- I think I can see 2 pieces of wood in there. Almost 300degrees- WOW

Now the cooldown after that extensive workout... or is it more traumatic?!!?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Travis,

Nice pics - good question about whether the sides are bent at the same time. Never occurred to me. Nice sides too, BTW!
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Cool Stuff indeed!!! Thats a sweet looking double cut Bombshell Custom in the back ground too!!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I watch my Mayes build videos often. Nice wood!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Beautiful! I love the pictures. The sides are extraordinary once bent. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Travis,

Great photos! This is a real education, just reading your comments and studying the photos. Looks like this is going to another stellar guitar for you.

Regards, Glenn
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

John mentioned to me last week that the L-32 is his favorite model of the ones he builds and that he was excited to be working on yours! What kind of appointments did you decide on (binding, fretboard, bridge, purfling)?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 PM

John emailed me tonight and said that the bending process for the sides only takes about 3 minutes !! WHOA!!... Then 45 minutes to cool down... That's amazing.

The top and back have been rough cut, and I believe the sides are together... pics to come.

Here's a full shot of the top before cutting

Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
John mentioned to me last week that the L-32 is his favorite model of the ones he builds and that he was excited to be working on yours! What kind of appointments did you decide on (binding, fretboard, bridge, purfling)?
Bobby

My L will have grained ivoroid binding and matching rosette. Black/ivoroid purfling. Headplate, fingerboard, bridge all Brazilian!

Not sure on a pickup yet... I'm considering keeping it straight acoustic. My Taylor Fall Coco has the ES and my Cornerstone SJ will have a dual source pickup system... I'm thinking those two will cover my "live" needs, but I'm still mulling it over. How are you liking the pickup in your SD?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperboy View Post
Bobby

My L will have grained ivoroid binding and matching rosette. Black/ivoroid purfling. Headplate, fingerboard, bridge all Brazilian!

Not sure on a pickup yet... I'm considering keeping it straight acoustic. My Taylor Fall Coco has the ES and my Cornerstone SJ will have a dual source pickup system... I'm thinking those two will cover my "live" needs, but I'm still mulling it over. How are you liking the pickup in your SD?
The D-TAR Wavelength is working really well the headroom thing they talk about on the DTAR website is true it has a lot of it. For being such a lively responsive guitar it doesn't seem to feedback at all even at loud volumes in front of a monitor. I have no complaints with the pickup! I run it through my Baggs PADI straight into the PA at my church!!! Its a big building seats about 1200. The Volume and Tone module works great too.

Those appointments are what I would get on my next build if I do another one. I like the ivoriod binding with the brazilian rosewood stuff. I look forward to seeing more pictures!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop