The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Default ca cargo guitar or voyage air

which would u purchase . thks
voyage air songwriter and ca cargo.

only play finger style , checking ones guitar at airport is a pain and dangerous
Old 09-06-2009, 10:04 AM

Location: world traveller, currently in Johannesburg ...South AFRICA

i've found i've travelled a lot and even to 3rd world countries with a descent SKB type case and my guitar is always fine.... maybe instead of buying a new guitar invest in a descent travel case ...... cos surely all the travel guitars have pro's and cons...... if you used to a normal acoustic....

peace and light
Keira
Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Voyage Air are discounted right now at Music123, in case you weren't aware. But love for the Cargo is virtually unanimous around here.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:07 PM

My Cargo is the best travel guitar I've ever owned. Looks like a toy, plays and sounds like a full-sized guitar.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:13 PM

I've not played a CA I didn't like. However, I've played Voyageaires at all stages of development, including the current made in China models. I find them to be outstanding guitars for the price. The MIC Voyageaires are comparable to US made solid wood guitars in their workmanship, tone and playability. That the neck folds is just the icing on the cake.

-Raf
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

To me, the folding neck design of the Voyage-Air guitars pretty much assures the owner that he will actually be able to place his guitar in the air plane overhead compartment. A longer guitar that takes up the room of two bags in the overhead is riskier in my opinion.

Combine that with the almost universal approval of the tone from the Voyage-Air guitars and it has got me thinking very hard about getting one.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
I've not played a CA I didn't like. However, I've played Voyageaires at all stages of development, including the current made in China models. I find them to be outstanding guitars for the price. The MIC Voyageaires are comparable to US made solid wood guitars in their workmanship, tone and playability. That the neck folds is just the icing on the cake.

-Raf
Have u actuallly played the current songwriter vrs their solid or premier models models

Last edited by rising1000; 09-06-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 AM

I had one of the first Cargo's made. I sold it. Not my sound....
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM

I travel a lot and have played around with lots of options. You just can't beat the tone and playability of a really well made guitar.

My favorite traveler is a Larrivee Parlor, but they are too valuable and fragile to be really comfortable with in the bump 'n grind world of airplane travel. Once (only one in over two years of frequent travel) I was forced to check my Parlor in its stock hard case (ie: no special travel case). It was absolutely fine, but that resulted in another search.

That's when I jumped on the CA Cargo bandwagon. Sold one of my Larrivee Parlor's (I had three at one time ...over doing it) and the Cargo is now my traveling mate.

Although I would never subject it to the following, I know that it would be fine if it got rained on, if it were left in the sun for hours, even if it was dropped. They are that well-built and that tough.

I also got it with a dealer-installed K&K PWM, which to me sounds much better plugged in than the standard electronics.

Never even had a second glance bringing it onboard a plane (in a stock, well-made gig bag).

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM

This summer I travelled to the Baltic for a month, then backpacked in the Sierras, then a cruise to New England and Canada - Cargo with me for all. No issues in air travel, took the beating of backpacking, and no issues with any environmental factors. For me the Cargo is perfect for no worries travel.

'08 Maingard 000 (12 fret) BRW/Italian Spruce
'08 Bashkin 00 (12 fret) LS Redwood/MadRose
'01 De Jonge OM BRW/Sitka
'08 CA Cargo
'08 Eastman T-185
'09 Collings All Hog C10
Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM

I know you've only given the two guitar choices listed . . .but IF you are open to other options . . . I strongly recommend you look at a GO Type II Parlor. I've played all three extensively, and for me the easy choice was the GO Parlor.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM

Picked up a Voyage-Air for my trip this summer to Turkey. I was in the hunt for a Cargo, too, but the package and great price I scored on the the Voyage-Air put me over the top. I bought it half-thinking I'd sell it after the trip, but it stays on my stand at home. Shockingly good sounding guitar...not just a gimmick.

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Two very good choices for travel, in case, THE best choices.

Both the Cargo and Voyage-air have their advantages. If you must have a full size guitar at your destination and conditions will not be too harsh for a wood guitar than a Voyage-air VAOM-06 should be your choice. If however a 3/4 size guitar suits you just fine and you may encounter harsh weather or want to leave the guitar in the trunk of your car, than the cargo should be the choice. Heck, you can actually play these 3/4 size guitars on the plane or in the front seat of your car.

As much as I love my Larrivee and Go Parlors both can get damaged in the overhead container of an airplane unless you use a hard case, which may make it too large for some airlines for carry on. Even though Sam Radding designed the Go Parlor II as a travel guitar, to me, both the Go and Larrivee Parlors are just too nice and I find myself worrying about them on the road. I've traveled with both before but now that I have a Cargo which sounds almost as good as either, and is made of the same material as my motorcycle helmet, there is just no reason to put these two gorgeous handmade all solid wood guitars through that again.

Ted
Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 AM

I am still up in the air about it... The Voyage Airs are on sale a a couple of places on the web. I had one of the first CA's that came out and sold it. It was durable, but I just wasn't really into it. As a matter of fact I have seen it bought and sold 3 times in the last year since I sold it myself. I don't think they are for everyone. I am in Europe about twice a month. I have sold off some of my guitars for financial reasons, but also because I never get to play them. I am literaly looking for the perfect travel solution if there is one. I keep thinking I am going to buy a Voyage Air... I am tired of traveling most of the month without anything to play. I do not plan on taking my Larrivee parlor... Even though she is worn, she sounds sweet! I think maybe I don't like the "Guitar look" with the neck sticking out. I am in the defense industry traveling all over the world. I suppose the Voyage air may be it... I wish I could see how big the bag is when folded... Anyone?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:06 AM

I bought a Voyage-Air OM-2C last year to travel with and I love it. I work for a large railroad and didn't want something too bulky or that looked like a guitar. The backpack is pretty big compared to a book bag but out of the way on your back. I also considered a cargo but wanted something more like my main guitar. Full size body and full scale OM. I do like the durability of the cargo and they do sound nice. My Voyage-Air has a small crack in the back and lots of wear from traveling with me so much. I think a Composite Acoustic OX with a folding neck would actually be the perfect travel guitar for me. Maybe Voyage-Air will license their neck hinge to other companies someday.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber