The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Default Martin 000-28EC vs Collings OM2h / Sant Cruz OM/PW

Hi,

I'm looking into OM/000 more and more. Played a Collings that was simply amazing (OM2h). The Santa Cruz that I played was also great. Problem is that they were state side and I can't get them easily here in Canada. There is a used Martin 000-28EC for sale on craigslist. How does the 000-28EC compare to both the Collings and Santa Cruz?

Thanks!
Stephane.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 PM

I think you would be well served to look at specific individual instruments, rather than trying to decide on a maker and a model. I've owned both the Collings OM2H and the Martin 000-28EC and the Martin (imo) was a much better guitar (with respect to tone) than the Collings and both of them were very nicely made guitars. That doesn't by any means imply that it's that way across the board with those two models, but that's the way I saw it with the representatives of each of those models that I owned. I can't tell you anything about the Santa Cruz.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:38 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Leaving the fact that even identically spec'd guitars by these builders sound different....the Martin is a short scale 14 fret model with a modified "V" neck.
The Collins are longer scaled with a rounder neck profile.

You could either love or hate either of these models just based on those factors alone.

Some folks love the Martin EC's. Some don't. FWIW, the EC's have a reputation of being very variable.
Some folks love Collings...others don't. Collings guitars tend to be more uniform.

If you've already found a guitar you really like, I'd try to get that one.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 08-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Collings play cleaner and have a better treble response than Martins on average. Martins are warmer sounding on average. Santa Cruz guitars fall somewhere in between. Naturally there are guitar to guitar variations and various wood combo that put the lie to such generalizations. Hands on evaluation is always the best way to go.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-28-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM

Ignoring the fact that even identically spec'd guitars by these builders sound different...the Martin EC is a "different animal" compared to the Collings and SCGC, with it's short scale and having a "modified V" neck profile.
The SCGC and Collings are longer scaled, with rounded profile necks.
You may love or hate either of these factors.

Generalizations;
Some folks think Martin's tend to sound muddy and bass heavy. Others think they sound rich and woody.
Some folks think Collings sound "tight". Others think they sound wonderful.
Some folks love SCGC's tone. Others don't.

All are top quality guitars. It really just depends on finding the one you like (which it sounds like you have).

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 08-28-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
SCGC and Collings are longer scaled, with rounded profile necks.
You may love or hate either of these factors.
Are you positive about this? I checked around online and couldn't find a definite answer, but I would have sworn that the OM/PW has Santa Cruz' typical soft-V neck.

Given the choice of those three sight unseen, I would go with the Santa Cruz first, the Collings as a close second, and the Martin a distant third. They are all spectacular guitars, and this is based purely on my preference in tone. The Collings and Santa Cruz could switch positions easily, depending on the price difference.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
Are you positive about this? I checked around online and couldn't find a definite answer, but I would have sworn that the OM/PW has Santa Cruz' typical soft-V neck.
Yes.
The neck of the OMPW may be classified as a "soft V", but I don't recall disliking it when I owned mine...and I tend to not like "V" necks.

I own a couple of Collings....both necks are more rounded.

Re; scale length.....you can check the Martin. Co. web site, where it lists the specs of all their guitars.
Here is a link to the section on the EC;
http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/...g=d&m=000-28EC

Scale length on the EC is 24.9", with a "modified V" neck profile.
Scale length on both the Collings and the SCGC is (I believe) 25.4".
(FWIW, I own a Collings "short scale" OM that is 24.9" that is a fantastic guitar...but again, different builders, different guitars.)

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 08-29-2009, 06:01 AM

And hey you might as well through Bourgeois into the mix, my personal Big 4 Martin/Bourgeois/Santa Cruz/Collings.

There is no better and my listing above is a generalization of my opinion from warm-er to bright-er, and not to say Collings are modern voiced but they are slightly brighter than the rest, good or bad depending upon your tastes.

I'we owned both the 28 and 42 Claptons, the 42 was magnificent, the 28's to me "vary". Despite the fact I am a Martin guy I would take the Santa Cruz OM/PW of your three, and add the Bourgeois Signature OM (Adi/Mad) to auditions if you can. They're in Maine don't know if that aids Canadian availability or not.

You put 50 players in a room with these guitars they all would get some votes, our opinions are only good for ourselves, your ears is what counts. Might be worth a road trip to do some auditions.....good luck!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 AM

You can find all those brands, though not necessarily those models, at the 12th Fret in Toronto. Don't know if that helps or not.

Steve
Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 AM

Oh man... hard to go wrong with the OM/PW. One of the best sounding guits of all time! I have had 5 Cruz's in the past... The OM/PW was my FAVE!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Hi All,

thanks for all the replies. I know that it is hard to compare different guitars like that. I do understand that sound is subjective (hence all the choices that we have available!).

Since I am in Montreal, it isn't possible for me to go to Toronto to try a few guitars. We do have a Santa Cruz dealer in town but, he doesn't carry a lot of them in store. He prefers to order them. It is hard to commit to a guitar at that price before trying one.

I might try the Martin and see if I like it.

Thanks for everybody's help!

Cheers,
Stephane.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion