The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Default RainSong or Composite Acoustics?

Have any forum members had the opportunity to play both RainSong and CA's offerings? I would be keen to hear opinions and comparisons.

An all carbon guitar might be the ticket for those -20 degree winter days when taking out the Thompson isn't favorable.

I realize this post was done last year but both companies have made(so I'm told) improvements to their guitars since then.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 PM

Take a gander around here for some great comparisons.. www.carbonguitar.com
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 PM

I played both at The Music Gallery in Chicago. They had most models in stock.
I also talked with a folk duo from North Carolina, the husband played a rainsong and the wife played the CA. I asked him about the differences. He thought the Rainsong may be better for those just playing guitar and the Ca for accompanying voices. He played the Rainsong 1000? and she played the Ca GX.
I liked the contour shape of the CA but preferred the sound of the Rainsong, but not by much. I bought a CA Cargo for travel and for my cabin. I love it.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM

CompositeAcoustics
Old 08-23-2009, 04:53 PM

I happen to have extensive experience not only with both brands, but most models of each. Here are some of the differences between the two.

Both companies use carbon fiber for the entire guitar, but while Rainsong builds their guitars with traditional styling in Dreadnaught, Jumbo, Grand Concert, and OM sizes with sharp edges most of us are familiar with. Braces are not needed for strength so none are used.

CA guitars feature contoured bodies, in Dreadnaught, Grand Concert, Grand Auditorium, OM, Parlor/Travel, and some non-traditional sizes, both with standard, and offset sound holes for added bass response. Although no braces are needed for strength CA uses them anyway to voice their guitars.

Tone is subjective but to most of us Rainsongs sound brighter whereas CA's have a warmer tone. Some say more like wood.

All Rainsong guitars feature flawless fit and finish in all are natural carbon fiber with an immaculate high gloss coat, and all list over two grand. One thing Rainsong offers that CA does not is an adjustable truss rod on some models, although at the expense of a slightly thicker neck. (think 50's Les Paul as opposed to 60's)

Composite Acoustics offers many colors including burst finishes and custom colors either in a gorgeous high gloss or a more utilitarian "Road Tough" RT finish. Two of the models (the OM and Parlor) even come in a RAW, unfinished version for much less money. List is anywhere from eight hundred bucks to three grand so you will need to do your homework.

Ted
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM

I own a CA OX-RAW and I've played several CA and Rainsong guitars. Rainsongs that I've played tended to sound very chimey and bright, not a typical guitar sound, but not unpleasent either. CA center soundhole models and the cargo sound like good guitars--tone signature somewhat similar to Breedlove, to my ear. I'm not a fan of the Xi and GXi, very bass-heavy to the player.

My OX sounds like a really good OM, very similar to a Martin 000-15 that I've played. Very versatile--it picks, strums, and fingerpicks well. The cutaway back has come in handy a few times, I'm not sure whether I'd rather have the cutaway back or a trussrod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber