The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.
Default Composite Acoustics

I had a chance to try one of these today. I am not sure of the model number (black with a centre soundhole, priced just below 3K Canadian). I was very impressed with the unplugged sound of this guitar, especially the bass strings.

Looks like the beginning of new GAS

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 05-26-2009, 01:00 PM

I recently played a CA Cargo for the first time and was surprised at how good it sounded. It was not as good as my Taylor GS8 (biased?) but for a non-wood guitar i was really impressed. Playability was good (not great but very nice). Sound was good but the sustain and harmonics are not quite what i like. If i needed a near indestructible guitar that sounded (acoustically) good ... definitely would consider a CA. I wish i could have checked out how it sounded plugged in.

Ken
Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Recently acquired a used Rainsong WS-1000. WOW! Great addition to the herd. Easy to play, great volume, cuts through the mix like butter.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:51 PM

I have a 5iMCE, not sure what the new designation is, but it's basically a full size cargo, with integrated bracing and offset soundhole. I bought it originally because it was comfortable, and I didn't want to worry about my wood guitar on vacation or in the car. Honestly, sound was secondary to durability. It has become my go to guitar. I love the sound, tonal balance, sustain, it does everything well and is VERY comfortable to play for hours. Also, my 57 year old mechanic's hands have taken a beating over the years, and getting to sound I love out of a guitar with light gauge strings is a HUGE plus for me.

There are several new designs using carbon fiber, and even a forum dedicated to them at http://carbonguitar.com/

I still love wood guitars, and I've been lusting after a couple of Lowdens for a while, but I could easily live with my CA as my only instrument.

ken
Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Recently acquired a used Rainsong WS-1000. WOW! Great addition to the herd. Easy to play, great volume, cuts through the mix like butter.
Also, a RainSong may give Shadowraptor less problems from day one. Maybe... maybe not. It all depends ...

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempomatic View Post
I have a 5iMCE, not sure what the new designation is, but it's basically a full size cargo, with integrated bracing and offset soundhole. I bought it originally because it was comfortable, and I didn't want to worry about my wood guitar on vacation or in the car. Honestly, sound was secondary to durability. It has become my go to guitar. I love the sound, tonal balance, sustain, it does everything well and is VERY comfortable to play for hours. Also, my 57 year old mechanic's hands have taken a beating over the years, and getting to sound I love out of a guitar with light gauge strings is a HUGE plus for me.

There are several new designs using carbon fiber, and even a forum dedicated to them at http://carbonguitar.com/

I still love wood guitars, and I've been lusting after a couple of Lowdens for a while, but I could easily live with my CA as my only instrument.

ken
I've got a 5iMCE also (now known as the GXi) and must echo your sentiments. I still love my wood guitars but for a no hassle guitar with a big sound and lots of sustain its a terrific instrument and my "go to" DADGAD guitar.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowraptor View Post
I had a chance to try one of these today. I am not sure of the model number (black with a centre soundhole, priced just below 3K Canadian). I was very impressed with the unplugged sound of this guitar, especially the bass strings.

Looks like the beginning of new GAS
Rob, you're overlooking official AGF rules: No GAS for at least 10 days prior to and after receiving your new custom guitar. It's in there somewhere.

Bill
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Regardless, my wife's rules trump those of AGF. I think I promised her I wouldn't buy any more guitars ... ever ... after this one

Rob
Canada

Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Another CA GXi (Hi gloss tobacco burst) owner and lover here. Terrific guitar on all counts. I also own a Cargo. Great for what it is. I don't like it as much as the GXi, but I actually play it more because its size/contours makes it the perfect couch guit.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM

I had posted a feedback a few days ago on a test drive of an X here, but since it got completely unnoticed I'll repost it here.

During what had been a routine stroll through Ochanomizu in Tokyo when I used to live here, I walked into a store called Guitar Planet to find a bunch of X guitars available. The store clerk told me that the guitars arrived just a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason seemed to be a bit hesitant to let me try one out, although I eventually talked him into it. (A bit strange, I thought, but oh well.) Having test driven a Cargo before but never a full-sized model, I had to noodle with it a bit.

If I could sum up the tone in one phrase, it would be "Taylor on steroids." I don't think I've ever played a guitar with brighter and "sharper" tone. Part of it might be the material (carbon fiber as opposed to wood), but I don't recall the Rainsongs being this bright when I played a few at a GC a while back. The bass response wasn't too bad for its size, as was the overall volume and projection; I can only imagine what kind of a bass response the Xi would have, with its shifted soundhole. I don't know if the shop had done any setup on the guitar, but the action was just right, and the overall playability was remarkable.

The store clerk shared my impression that, while the X would not make a good "main" guitar for the majority of the serious acoustic enthusiasts, it would be a good change of pace to complement the wooden guitars in a player's collection. It's possible that I could go for something like the new OX as a travel guitar in the future, as I recently decided that parlors and other small guitars aren't for me, but I'd like to hear some opinions from those who've played both the X and the OX for comparison's sake.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM

I likes'em. 4th on the way (The new OX)... my friend has the first 12 string which came out a few months back and I will borrow it next week just to see/hear.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 05-26-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 PM

I've got two of 'em; a 7M-CE (GX) and a Cargo. I wouldn't hesistate to buy another CA and probably will....once I check out the new OX, the new Baritone and the new 12-String.

I like my Martin and Larrivee but, the CA's are just special.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 05-26-2009, 07:18 PM

I'm pretty sure it was a 'GX' with electronics that I played today. I also tried an 'X' with an offset soundhole - not as much depth. The centre soundhole seems to improve the bass (in my opinion).

I don't really like the look of their new 12 string - I would prefer a more traditional look with a centre soundhole. The sculpted back on a 12 string would be very pleasant.

Rob
Canada

Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post

If I could sum up the tone in one phrase, it would be "Taylor on steroids." I don't think I've ever played a guitar with brighter and "sharper" tone. Part of it might be the material (carbon fiber as opposed to wood), but I don't recall the Rainsongs being this bright when I played a few at a GC a while back. The bass response wasn't too bad for its size, as was the overall volume and projection; I can only imagine what kind of a bass response the Xi would have, with its shifted soundhole. I don't know if the shop had done any setup on the guitar, but the action was just right, and the overall playability was remarkable.

The store clerk shared my impression that, while the X would not make a good "main" guitar for the majority of the serious acoustic enthusiasts............
I couldn't possibly have had a more different experience from you, so much so that I have to think there was a serious problem with the guitar (set-up, strings, SOMETHING). My experience is the polar opposite of yours, having owned Taylors, and played quite a few CA's as well as Rainsongs.

From the standpoint of tonal balance, I couldn't imagine a guitar MORE dissimilar to a Taylor. If anything, the weakest area is in the upper frequencies, and the bass is absolutely THUNDEROUS, even when compared to my Huss and Dalton dread. The Rainsongs have a bias toward the high frequencies, the CA's a bias toward the bass.

As far as not being a good guitar for "serious acoustic enthusiasts", nearly every person I've spoken to that owns a CA is using it as their primary instrument.

I hope I'm not making this sound like an argument. I believe you heard what you heard, but your experience is SO atypical that I think you should try again.

CA's are NOT perfect, and if you are truly discerning, they don't sound like wood necessarily, but the things they do well, they do SO WELL. IMHO, not only are they very good guitars, they are EXCELLENT values as well.

ken
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM

I have a couple of CA Legacy Deadnaughts and I have to say that they sound fantastic! As a matter of fact I just sold two of my Taylors a GSRC and a GS5 to justify them.

I wouldn't say that the CA's sounded better than my Taylors but the fact that they are impervious to humidity and temprature changes and virtually maintenance free, not to mention they do sound great was a no brainer for me. I have also owned a Rainsong DR1000 and found that the CA's sound much warmer in tone.
There is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus...
THIRD DAY

MARTIN D-16e Rosewood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber