The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Question Carbon Fiber/Graphite Guitar Questions????

It pretty much seems like two companies got this market covered Rainsong and Composite Acoustics. I have played probably 4 Rainsongs and I owned a JM Rainsong years ago which is their Jumbo 6 string guitar. I noticed the CA guitars have bracing and the Rainsongs don't. I was curious has anyone A/B them in great detail with similar size and shaped models? How do the CA's compare to the Rainsongs? Do they have different tone or voicings?

I remember always being impressed with how loud that JM1000 Rainsong was!!! They aren't kidding on their website when they say it like 4 times it's loud!!! But it sounded good too!!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:19 PM

This has been covered at length, here are some threads for your enjoyment:

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthrea...ainsong+vs.+CA

Have a nice day!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 PM

I have played CA's and owned one and was curious as well how they compared to Rainsong. On a vacation last month I had a chance to stop at a Chicago guitar shop that had quite a few of both guitars. I was actually impressed by both. They are both well made and I actually like the way Raingsong has the weave pattern over the entire guitar. Soundwise I would not say one is better than the other. I do like the rainsong neck better but that is just a personal preference. Soundwise the CA's started their bracing to imitate wood guitars. They really do a good job of that but I think they are just a little darker. The newer ones with the integrated top bracing and the off center sound hole tend to me to have their own voice. I was most impressed with the sunburst GXI, just great loud sound and unique looking. The CA's seemed to me heavier than the Rainsongs. CA seems to keep innovating so you have to respect them for that. Many love the Cargo and I can see why soundwise but I just didn't like its small body.
I would be happy with either brand and I went in thinking I would only like the CA's.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I currently own a 2008 RainSong DR1000 that is well-made and sounds wonderful, both acoustically and amplified, especially through a Fishman Dreadnought Aura Pedal (Image 7 is perhaps the best for this guitar).

I had another RainSong DR1000, a 2007, and a 2007 JM3000 12-String that were nice and I traded-in on other guitars. I liked the DR1000 so much that I recently acquired my new one.

Regarding CA guitars, about two years ago, I ordered a Bluegrass Standard with onboard Fishman Aura. I anxiously awaited its arrival and when it came, I opened the case and there she be: beautiful and waiting to be picked-up, tuned and played! I removed it from its case and proceeded to tune it up but .... Please PM or email me for the rest of the story. I still respect CA Guitars and intend to order another one someday.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 AM

I have a Rainsong JM1000 and a CA Cargo. I love the depth of tone and resonance of the Rainsong, and the midrange tones are bright and light. The Cargo has a good bass response, and also gives clean bright midrange and treble notes- and is almost as loud as a standard sized guitar.

I have played the CA 5i (which is probably now the GXi), and have been very pleasantly surprised at the depth of the bass, the balance across the tonal spectrum, and the volume levels. If I didn't have the Rainsong, I'd be looking for a GXi, because it is tonally as nice, but not quite as loud.

Bottom line- graphite guitars "work". They're also significantly less hassle than wood guitars- no humidity, cold, nor heat issues. If you have more than one guitar, including a graphite guitar in your "quiver" will make your life a lot easier- and you'll feel comfortable taking it everywhere. Oh, and one more "good" thing. If it ever got broken, or stolen, well, the replacement will sound EXACTLY like the one you lost...

Taylor GS limited
Rainsong JM1000
Taylor NS24CE
Old 05-02-2009, 09:36 AM

I just read where CA is coming out with a Tim Stafford Signature series... I've seen him play one live and got the chance to ask him about them. He loves them.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
I have a Rainsong JM1000 and a CA Cargo. I love the depth of tone and resonance of the Rainsong, and the midrange tones are bright and light. The Cargo has a good bass response, and also gives clean bright midrange and treble notes- and is almost as loud as a standard sized guitar.

I have played the CA 5i (which is probably now the GXi), and have been very pleasantly surprised at the depth of the bass, the balance across the tonal spectrum, and the volume levels. If I didn't have the Rainsong, I'd be looking for a GXi, because it is tonally as nice, but not quite as loud.

Bottom line- graphite guitars "work". They're also significantly less hassle than wood guitars- no humidity, cold, nor heat issues. If you have more than one guitar, including a graphite guitar in your "quiver" will make your life a lot easier- and you'll feel comfortable taking it everywhere. Oh, and one more "good" thing. If it ever got broken, or stolen, well, the replacement will sound EXACTLY like the one you lost...
Hi TonyC & All,

There are noticeable variances in the tone of all-graphite guitars within the same model and build timeframe. There aren't any dogs but some will have a bit more oomph in the bass region than another or a little more of this or that. This has been noticed not only by me but my RainSong dealer too. There is, though, more uniformity of tone in all-graphite guitars of the same model and build timeframe than all-wood guitars of a particular model and build timeframe.

I'm completely satisfied with my graphite guitars and they offer a pleasing alternative to the all-wood guitars I have, and as you say, "Bottom line - graphite guitars 'work.'"

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM

I agree.....nothing will replace my HD but the CA is excellent for any live playing I do and I don't worry about temp or humidity.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Default CA OX released today

CA just released the OX (OM size) guitar today. I pre-ordered mine. This will be my 2nd CA. Still love my Taylors, but, it's great to be take these CAs anywhere with no worries.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber