The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Question Ebony pins on a Composite Acoustic...

Just curious the bridge pins on the Composite Acousitcs are made of what material? Carbon fiber? TUSQ? I was thinking about adding ebony bridge pins. Wondering if the switch would make a tonal difference?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrateDMB21 View Post
Just curious the bridge pins on the Composite Acousitcs are made of what material? Carbon fiber? TUSQ? I was thinking about adding ebony bridge pins. Wondering if the switch would make a tonal difference?
My guess is plastic.
Maybe a bit of change in tone. Maybe not.
I wouldn't do it expecting a whole lot to change.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 PM

I contacted CA about that, they use TUSQ on all the materials like the nut, bridge, and pins

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 04-11-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
I contacted CA about that, they use TUSQ on all the materials like the nut, bridge, and pins
intersting ! my late 07 GX performer has a nut -bridge- and saddle all made of black carbon composite.

here is straight from their site.
• Proprietary carbon fiber bridge and saddle materials--

NOW they USED to use White tusq nut and saddle on older models. It was on the 07 bluegrass dread. The black pins on my GX are carbon composite.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
intersting ! my late 07 GX performer has a nut -bridge- and saddle all made of black carbon composite.
Graphtec makes a black variant of Tusq as well.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Both the Cargo I had last year & the GXRT I recently got came with black TUSQ nut, saddle & pins. I generally do not like TUSQ on wood guitars, but on the CA's I have found it sounds better than Ebony or anything else with one exception. I found the Cargo sounded better with an ivory saddle (but TUSQ pins). But with my GX, TUSQ sounds better than ivory for the saddle & is best for the pins as well.

I don't know where a prior poster in this thread got the info that they are using carbon fiber for pins now. I do not see that on the site & only a couple of months ago they confirmed to me that they are TUSQ.

Cass
Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass Sumrall View Post
Both the Cargo I had last year & the GXRT I recently got came with black TUSQ nut, saddle & pins. I generally do not like TUSQ on wood guitars, but on the CA's I have found it sounds better than Ebony or anything else with one exception. I found the Cargo sounded better with an ivory saddle (but TUSQ pins). But with my GX, TUSQ sounds better than ivory for the saddle & is best for the pins as well.

I don't know where a prior poster in this thread got the info that they are using carbon fiber for pins now. I do not see that on the site & only a couple of months ago they confirmed to me that they are TUSQ.

Cass
here is what is currently ON the site for composite acoustics ( GX MODEL)

• All composite Acoustically Tailored™ construction for ultimate tone, durability and versatility
• Rigid one-piece neck/body construction for long-term stability
• Impervious to climate for consistent performance, wherever you go
• Carbon fiber neck for consistent playability (no truss rod adjustments needed, EVER!)
• Proprietary carbon fiber bridge and saddle materials
• Slender ergonomic design, voiced to extend low end response
• Premium electronics for easy and clear amplification
• Available in our innovative Road Tough (RT) finish in five colors, or our durable High Gloss (HG) finish with carbon burst treatment.
• HG finish - white shell top inlay dots and white shell inlay around sound hole
RT FINISH - small silver top inlay dots at 12th fret
• Center sound hole with performance-tuned lightweight carbon fiber bracing
• Composite fingerboard with 20 medium stainless frets
• Ultra-precise black Gotoh™ tuning machines & light-gauge Elixer™ Nanoweb™ strings
• Handcrafted in the U.S.A. by skilled technicians and craftsmen

Notice what I hilighted and I know that mine are not the Tusq ones. I have seen the Tusq ones on the blue grass model and they are even cut diffferent.

here is the page - just simply scroll down and read finer print stuff- all right there! http://www.compositeacoustics.com/Fi...290/GX_125.asp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber