The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2000, 04:12 PM

Post LR Baggs Dual Source

Has anyone ordered a Taylor with the LR Baggs dual source system they offer as an alternative to the standard electronics package? Do you like the performance of this system? I'd be interested in any comments pro/con. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2000, 08:49 AM

I had one installed in my Larrivee C-09. In comparison with the Fishman in my 612C, I have to say the Dual Source System is definitely a step up, but it is more work to get everything sounding the way you desire.

The Ribbon Transducer (gold foil side up) is warmer than the Matrix 1, right off the bat. There is still a touch of that "crispy" high end, but it is much less pronounced than the Fishman.

The microphone will give you a more natural sounding top end, and the resonance of the guitar from where the microphone is placed. . .
. . .The problem with that is the microphone gives the resonance from where it's placed<grin>. You will get a bit of a boxy sound. My microphone picks up a frequency that is a natural part of the guitar's tone, but accentuates it almost mercilessly, and feedback does become an issue.

One solution is to move the microphone around. Problematic at best if you don't have tools to allow you to do this while the strings are on and tuned up. You are at the mercy ot the guitar tech's ear and personal taste for mic placement. The other solution is to get outboard gear (parametric eq for me), and tune things that way. Once I got something I liked, feedback was not really an issue, and I get enough gain on stage even in front of a full band.

All this being said, with the ability to combine or seperate the mic and Ribbon Transducer signals, I get a much nicer, warmer, richer sound, and am considering replacing the Fishman in my Taylor with the Dual Source System.

You do get hooked on the sound, but it might take some effort to come up with something you like. Or. . . you might like the sound you get right out of the gate.

Brett
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM

I have a 615 Tabacco Burst Brazilian with the dual source. I plug straight into a DI to the PA and I get rave reviews from every soundman that has heard it. I also use the M1 Active and although very good the sound is not as natural.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion