The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2000, 12:19 AM

Post Taylor Basses

Just found this board tonight - great to have it to feed our Taylor habits! I play bass guitar, and have had an AB-2 (fretted)for about 1 1/2 yrs and just love it. So much so that I have gone and ordered another! Its due to ship on Friday, 9/22, ordered 7/22, so it was a 60 day wait. My new baby is an AB-3, spruce top, maple back & sides, natural finish, unfretted. This was a special order, though no extra charge for the unfretted. I'm so jazzed about getting it this weekend (I told them to "overnight" it) that it hurts - but in a good way, of course ;-> So, any other bass players online yet? I'll post some pictures as soon as "Blondie" arrives, w/ the Imbuia AB-2 "Brownie" and my 67 P-Bass "Honey". Ok, so I'm not real clever with names, but I do so enjoy my Taylor(s).
Old 09-20-2000, 12:26 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Smile

Hey, Steve! Welcome to the forum! You've got great taste in acoustic basses. I've got the same bass - the AB-2 and I love it. You can see some pictures of it in the gallery. I'd love to get some shots of your new baby for the gallery when it arrives. I was leaning toward the fretless originally, but ended up getting the fretted. Maybe I'll have to get a fretless now and join you!

I think you'll really like the AB-3. It's got a great sound. It sounds about the same as the AB-2 plugged in, but unplugged, the AB-3 is a little louder with a little more "growl". You're going to love the fretless configuration. Do they offer it fretless with lines?

Also, does your AB-2 have the old style gig bag or the new one? I love the new one. I'm so glad they didn't ship it with a hardshell case. That would weigh a ton, I'm sure.

Overnight shipping? Man, that must have hurt. The box my bass came in was about as tall as my refrigerator!

Let us know when it arrives!
J.R.
Old 09-20-2000, 12:29 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Oh yeah... Did you order the natural finish as in the "blonde" back and sides, or the natural as in the amber back? It's available both ways.

J.R.
Old 09-20-2000, 11:35 AM

Helllo JR - nice board you've got here. My AB-2 has the old style gig bag, and frankly I find it inadequate to the task of daily use - its wearing out and its only 3yrs old. My dealer and I are looking into getting a hardshell case made by Cave Creek Cases, but haven't heard a quote yet. He (my dealer) says he could sell 4 more to other bass owners who want one. I really don't understand why Taylor doesn't even offer the option of a decent case for an instrument of this quality and price. I sure hope the newer version of the gig bag is better than the old one. Its my only complaint, actually. I ordered the blonde, natural finish, not amber. I've always loved the look of those big fat blonde Gibson J200's and the similar Guilds, so I couldn't resist when I realized I could get a bass with that look. I ordered the "lined" fretboard, cause this is my first fretless bass, and I realize I will be entering a "whole new world of bad intonation", as someone once said. Realistically, I figure to need the fret lines , at least to start with. I might consider staining them to match the ebony later, as the look of the blonde body with a smooth ebony neck would be great. Might be a little tricky around the Klein "signature" inlay, though, and might hurt resale value. We'll see. I checked out the photo of your AB-2, and its a beauty. I love the way they do the bookmatched front and back, all cut out of the same piece of wood. Yours has a more colorful grain than mine, which is a more uniform dark brown - I post pics. I don't know yet what the bill for "overnight" delivery is, but it should only be the upgrade from the standard UPS shipping that is included in the price.
Old 09-20-2000, 11:42 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

The new gig bag seems very very durable, and the bass is shielded by rigid inserts in the bag. You'll see what I mean when you get it. I think that Taylor doesn't offer a hardshell case for it because it would be too big and heavy... Although an SKB case shouldn't be that bad.

Let me know when you get it! I'd love to see the pictures.

J.R.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM

Anyone still own taylor basses? was looking for pictures.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 AM

Here are some pics

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

IloveTaylors - Send me your email address to me at [email protected] and I'll send you eight quality pictures of a Taylor AB-3 Bass I used to own.

Larry
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 AM

thanks, appreciate it, sent you a email!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I have some good shots of my AB-2 if you want as well, send me your email address, and Ill email you some of those too if interested..
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Helllo JR - nice board you've got here. My AB-2 has the old style gig bag, and frankly I find it inadequate to the task of daily use - its wearing out and its only 3yrs old. My dealer and I are looking into getting a hardshell case made by Cave Creek Cases, but haven't heard a quote yet. He (my dealer) says he could sell 4 more to other bass owners who want one. I really don't understand why Taylor doesn't even offer the option of a decent case for an instrument of this quality and price. I sure hope the newer version of the gig bag is better than the old one. Its my only complaint, actually. I ordered the blonde, natural finish, not amber. I've always loved the look of those big fat blonde Gibson J200's and the similar Guilds, so I couldn't resist when I realized I could get a bass with that look. I ordered the "lined" fretboard, cause this is my first fretless bass, and I realize I will be entering a "whole new world of bad intonation", as someone once said. Realistically, I figure to need the fret lines , at least to start with. I might consider staining them to match the ebony later, as the look of the blonde body with a smooth ebony neck would be great. Might be a little tricky around the Klein "signature" inlay, though, and might hurt resale value. We'll see. I checked out the photo of your AB-2, and its a beauty. I love the way they do the bookmatched front and back, all cut out of the same piece of wood. Yours has a more colorful grain than mine, which is a more uniform dark brown - I post pics. I don't know yet what the bill for "overnight" delivery is, but it should only be the upgrade from the standard UPS shipping that is included in the price.
Wow!
Considering all your points pertaining to Taylor Guitar, I might say they are indeed great and looks awesome. I have heard theses before but never had a time to look or give attention to it.

Hence, looking at the pictures,I have become interested with this kind of guitar. Though a bit long to wait for the shipment. Anyways, thanks a lot for sharing.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 AM

This thread is 11 years old; Taylor doesn't offer an acoustic bass anymore.

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM

I sure wouldn't mind finding one!

Taylor 518e First Edition (Sitka/Mahogany)
Taylor GS Custom (Sitka/Mahogany)
R Taylor Style 1 12-string (Sitka/Maple)
Taylor Koa GS-LTD
R Taylor Style 2 (Sinker/Rosewood)
Taylor GS Mini
Carvin C350

-----
Acoustic guitars are made of wood, into which I pour my heart, and holes, into which I pour my money.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
This thread is 11 years old; Taylor doesn't offer an acoustic bass anymore.
Thanks for posting. I felt stupid thinking that I didn't know that Taylor made basses. I never looked at the date of the thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion