The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Has anyone glossed a Cargo top?

I just bought a CA Cargo today. Great sound but I really dont like the rough finish on the top. Has anybody out there sanded the top on a Cargo and repainted it?? Show me some pictures or give me some ideas.
Capt Donn
Gretch Resonator
Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM

Hi Cap,

I may have been the first around here to take sandpaper to the Cargo's bumpy finish and get rid of the bumps a long time back (~6 months?).

It is easy and it doesn't really make any visual difference on mine. Start with ~200 grit (I don't know the exact grit) and work down to ~2000. The actual finish seems nearly impervious to sanding and once it's clean of bumps (don't forget the back of the next, these guys are overspray-happy), put a little polish on it and it looks shinier but essentially the same.

There is no extra noise once you do this and that pretty well made the guitar playable for me.

Pictures? I have some youtube vids over in the performing forum but you'll be hard put to make out a difference. About 5 of them are with the Cargo. I don't have any digital camera other than the webcam I accidentally discovered lurking in the top of my laptop..

It's not exactly glossing as I've heard about here with Masterbilt's and others, but it does get rid of the bumps and it only takes ~hour.

Papol

Edit:: Sorry but I should have mentioned that I "wet" sanded it. I actually don't know if that makes a big difference in 'glossing' or getting rid of bumps but the sandpaper sure lasts a lot longer. I also think that from my experience that the top would have become "glossy" if I had kept sanding and polishing for another 2 hours or so.

Last edited by mhs; 10-28-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber