The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM

Default Rainsong vs. CA guitar

I'm trying to get either 5i or 7i seires from CA guitar or SW1000 or JM1000 from Rainsong. What do you guys think?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 PM

I'm certainly no expert on either one, so take this with a grain of salt, as they say. I prefer the tone and feel of the CA guitars I've auditioned to those from Rainsong, across the board. Every time, at least so far. I don't dislike Rainsong, I just like CAs better.

cotten

Yes, I'd say that even if CA were NOT an AGF Sponsor!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant4J View Post
I'm trying to get either 5i or 7i seires from CA guitar or SW1000 or JM1000 from Rainsong. What do you guys think?
I have yet to try the 5i or 7i from CA guitar, with the offset soundholes and bracing that such placement of the soundhole allows, but when I do I stand ready to buy one if I like it. The standard soundhole CA's I have compared several times to Rainsongs and I too prefer the CA sound.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 AM

I agree with Cotten. I've tried both and prefer the CA hands down. Just like him I thought the Rainsong sounded pretty good but no where near as good as the CA. I also am a big fan of the offset soundhole for these guitars. I own the Cargo and just like everyone that picks one up I'm continually wowed after 3 months of owning it!

Jim B
Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 AM

Classic Series RainSongs (such as the JM1000 and the WS1000) tend to have a richer, more shimmery tone in my opinion. I play a JM1000 at work every single day so I am biased. I do wish it had stainless steel frets like the new CAs.

I haven't tried the 5i or 7i CAs yet, which again should say something about my bias. But the reviews seem very good. I've tried older CAs, and I liked them a lot. They just weren't quite as responsive as my JM1000, which has an extremely thin top with no bracing whatsoever.

I can see how some might prefer the CA tone -- the CA builders have put a lot of thought into sculpting the tone with their bracing system. In the end they've carved out a good middle ground between wood and RainSong.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM

I have never played a CA; their dealer network is pretty limited. But, I do have a JM1000, and enjoy it very much; it plays easily and sounds very good. Whether you'd prefer the sound or electronics of a different brand or model is something you'll only be able to answer by playing them all personally.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM

Thank you all for your opinions! Anymore opinions or help because I'm trying to get one today or tomorrow!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 AM

I've been impressed with the Rainsongs I've played. I've only auditioned one CA and it was nice... my slight preference would have been for the Rainsong.
Both great guitars though. I don't think you could go wrong with either. As they say, go try one out (if you have the chance) and take home the one that sings to you.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

out of the 1 rainsong (JM1000) and 1 CA (dread shape) i tried, i like the rainsong

the rainsong, when doing fingerstyle, sounded to me like goodall. no kidding. solid fundamentals and rich overtones. CA's not bad either.

are you gonna buy without demoing either of them? is there a way you can drive somewhere and try it out?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM

When I went to pick up my new CE 5iM-CE from the dealer, he had a new WS-1000 Rainsong there and suggested I give it a go.

The Rainsong is light, much lighter than the 5iM. It feels larger than the 5iM. The neck is more full front to back. It's louder in the mids and higher frequencies, and I think it's tone is great but has less "woodyness" than the 5iM.

Frankly, they're both great guitars. For me, the 5iM is faster and deeper and more comfortable.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM

As far as dreds go, I have a COT Standard and I prefer it's tone to the Rainsong dreds I have heard. Neither sounds like wood to me, but the CA sounded closer , again IMO.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Thank you folks! I've decided to get CA 5iM-Ce. I tried rainsong today. They sound very very bad to me, especially when plugged it. 5iM sounds a lot more natural and has more low end and better plugged in sound.
Thanks anyways!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant4J View Post
Thank you folks! I've decided to get CA 5iM-Ce. I tried rainsong today. They sound very very bad to me, especially when plugged it. 5iM sounds a lot more natural and has more low end and better plugged in sound.
Thanks anyways!
which rainsong?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Default Rainsong vs. CA

Prejudiced as I might be (I have and enjoy the WS-1000), I tried them both....I easily preferred the Rainsong. It was better plugged in and even better acousically. As far as the carbon fibre thing, the sound is good on both although if you are looking for a Gibson "thump" you had best look elsewhere. Very evenly balance across the strings and lound!

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 08-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I heard Jim Tozier play his Rainsong OM1000 on his summer mini-tour and it sounded great plugged-in with his fingerstyle stuff . I played it a little unplugged & thought it was too "bright" sounding when strummed with a pick in my style -- but everyone's got an equally valid opinion.

I recently ordered a CA 8M-CE (over a Rainsong) for a couple of reasons: 1) From what I've read, I think I will prefer the CA's sound to that of a Rainsong for the type of stuff I play and how I play it, 2) If I'm going to get a carbon fiber guitar I'd prefer it look a bit more futuristic (and not like a wooden guitar made of carbon fiber), 3) CA is an AGF sponsor, and 4) CA seems to treat their customers well.

Last edited by Raggamuffin; 08-06-2008 at 08:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber