The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Spent my lunch hour with some Composite Acoustics

Sam Ash in Charlotte had the CA Roadshow last week so I figured they might have some in stock now. They had two 8M-CE models, one with the soundhole Aura and the other with the Imix. They also had a Cargo. I'll save the Cargo for last.

Both of the 8M models were nice enough. Due to all the chatter about the CA's on here recently, I had my expectations set quite high and I'm afraid I was somewhat dissapointed.

For guitars in the 2K+ range, there were "nice", not spectacular, but simply nice. They both had a balanced if somwhat slightly sterile tone and not much in the bass department. Even less bass than the lacking bass that some complain about with Taylors. It was a nice sound nonetheless. It reminded me a lot of the Ovation 1771 LX USA model I used to have except that the Ovation had cost about 1/4th what the CA's were listed for.

I thought maybe my ears had just gotten spoiled by the amazing sound of my R Taylor so I compared them up against a Taylor 814CE and 614CE that were also in stock. I even had one of the store employees play them for me so I could hear them out front. To my ear, the 814CE simply sounded significantly better in comparison, especially out front. It just had a richness, warmth and complexity of tone and overtones that the Composites did not. It was a little closer matchup with the 614CE which has a tighter more compressed sound due to it's maple construction, but it was still the better sound to my ear. As the saying goes "There is just something about wood." Having had Ovations in the past and being a big time Ovation fan for awhile, the sterilness of the sound was reminiscent of them for sure. I remember how much I loved my Ovations until I played a lowly Taylor 314CE for the first time.

The neck also seemed a little clubbier than what I'm used to and certainly felt differently shaped. I've found that I can adjust to about any neck in a couple of days though so that was not a big deal.

Overall, I think they are great guitars for what you get. A nice sounding guitar that you can practically leave out in the rain, or in the trunk of your car, or out on the porch with total disregard for environmental conditions. To me that was the only real selling factor about them. They certainly didn't take my breath away in the sound department. Take that maintenenance free factor out of the picture and I would have no real need or desire for one though. Even with that factor in the picture, for a low maintenance travel/gig guitar I'd go with a much lower priced Ovation with their excellent VIP electronics and use the rest of the cash for gas for a few weeks.

Now for the Cargo, THAT is a different story. After all the chatter I've read on here, I also had my expectations set very high for it...and it did not dissapoint. For a tiny little "Travel Guitar" this thing puts the Baby Taylor and Little Martin to shame. Of course it should at more than twice the price. Not a lot of volume compared to a full size guitar, but a LOT for its size and the sound you do get is throaty and full. It just sounds great! To me it sounded way better pound for pound than either of the 8M models. It feels really good tucked in against your tummy and almost feels like a kids guitar until you start strumming it. Then hang on Nelley! I had a hard time not whipping out the credit card right there as I hear these are still quite hard to get your hands on. If you want one, go to Sam Ash on Tyvola Rd in Charlotte NC today or else I may go back by there on the way home! CA has hit a home run with this little bugger for sure. Very nice indeed!

All of the above is said of course with the disclaimer: Your results and tastes may very and these views do not neccessarily reflect the views of the management. Any resemblence to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Last edited by Joe F; 04-29-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Good news on the Cargo. I have one on order through my dealer. Bad news is I just learned I won't see it until August now...<previously anticipating June-July>
There was another post kicking around that apparently they are/will be shipping with better fitting gig bags as well.

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 04-29-2008, 12:08 PM

I think the GX-series if the wrong place to look if you want BASS in a full-sized CA guitar.

You'd be better off with one of the older "Vintage" models, or "Legacy" models, or the COT (Crown of Thorns) models for that sound. Of those three, the Vintage and COT have the most bass. (COT is based on the Vintage).
Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Actually I mistyped that as the GX is the model I originally had on my brain. They were 8M-CE's. I will correct the original post. They looked like what I have seen pictures of the GX models look like. Has there been a nomenclature change?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Nice review, Joe.

I appreciate your honesty and approach in looking at these guitars. For the $$, as you stated, I'd expect guitars in this price range to not be 'sterile' or 'unspectacular' and more than simply 'nice.' Lots of choices in guitars in this price range, so unless the durability issue is first and foremost, I guess I'd keep looking.

The Cargo sounds like a winner, though.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Nice review, Joe.

I appreciate your honesty and approach in looking at these guitars. For the $$, as you stated, I'd expect guitars in this price range to not be 'sterile' or 'unspectacular' and more than simply 'nice.' Lots of choices in guitars in this price range, so unless the durability issue is first and foremost, I guess I'd keep looking.

The Cargo sounds like a winner, though.
I echo Kevin's plaudits - thanks Joe. I had similar reactions, but haven't tried the Cargo yet. That sounds like a winner!
Phil
Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 PM

If you want more bass, definitely go with the offset soundhole versions, like the 5iM or 7iM...
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
Actually I mistyped that as the GX is the model I originally had on my brain. They were 8M-CE's. I will correct the original post. They looked like what I have seen pictures of the GX models look like. Has there been a nomenclature change?
Yes, The 8M-CE was previously referred to as the GX performer - same instrument.

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Joe, my total satisfaction with my Cargo has given me GAS for it's high-gloss big brother, the 7iM-CE. Although I haven't seen or played one, I've learned it is much more than simply a bigger version of the Cargo, including a different bracing design (but still integrated into the underside of the top). I've also learned that the offset soundhole CA guitars have significantly more volume and bass (than say, a Taylor x14) while maintaining balance across all strings. JasonA who has the 5iM-CE("Road Tough" finish version, but otherwise the same as the 7iM) has confirmed this. I'm hoping it's true, because if it doesn't sound great but different, while being louder and more bass than my Taylor 814ce, then I wouldn't want to buy it. The Cargo is a great guitar and if the 7iM is a lot better than it, then it must be great!

FWIW, I believe there are other AGF members who own an 8M-CE (or its predessessor) and have sold their Taylors (including 814 and 914 series) for the 8M because they think it sounds/playes THAT much better. Not to detract from your opinion, but I think they'll disagree with you.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Not to detract from your opinion, but I think they'll disagree with you.
That's perfectly fine and why I added my disclaimer. Opinions are like ______. Everybody has one! Isn't it great that we all get to pick out and purchase our own guitars! I was not slamming the CA's by any means. Just saying that to my ear, they reminded me of my old Ovation and the X14's I matched it up against in that particular setting on that particular day sounded better. It's all personal taste for sure.

Last edited by Joe F; 04-29-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:11 PM

I love the Taylor 814-CE but I must say the CA 8M-CE Rocks! Talk about a comfortable Guitar with excellent electronics and a nice full sound across the spectrum, IMHO it has it. Being almost impervious to temperature and humidity changes sure is nice too. There are lots of Guitars by lots of builders I would love to have. The CA 8M-CE just happens to be one of them. A Cargo too of course!

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Joe F, sound/tone is subjective so, I respect your opinion with regard to the 8M-CE. I played a GX Player (7M-CE) for several hours and I didn't find the sound to be sterile at all. No, it doesn't have the "woody" tone of my Martin OM-28V, my Larrivee LV-03E or my vintage '73 Ovation. In my opinion, it has a sound all its own that is difficult to compare to a solid-wood guitar (or a solid top guitar). To me, CA guitars have a sound all their own. I'm not even sure if they were designed to sound like a solid wood guitar. What I did notice is that when I played a note or cord on a CA I didn't get the overtones (especially as the sustain decays) that I get on my other guitars. I found it more piano like (IMO, the tone sounds consistant throughout the decay). I also found the guitar's neck to be as comfortable as any I've played. I play mainly fingerstyle and really liked the wider 1.75" nut combined with the thinner profile neck.

Obviously, I'm defending the tone and playability of the CA as I just ordered a7M-CE. I just hope I have the same opinion after I bring it home.... and I think I will.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 AM

If you want bottom end you’ll need to play a CA Dread, particularly the Vintage voiced model, or whatever it’s called now. The GX I played had a very nice tone, but lacked the depth I prefer, but that quality is present in abundance in the Vintage Performer model. I had a chance over the Christmas holidays to AB a bunch of Santa Cruz, R. Taylor guitars against a Vintage Performer and a GX Performer. To my surprise, the Santa Cruz models were all over the place, from weak and tinny, to rich and resonant. The R. Taylors were all good, varying with the woods used. The CA Vintage was, to my ear, wonderful, with rich deep, clear tones, though perhaps not as loud as the R. Taylors. The GX was as described by others, pleasant, balanced, but without the depth I look for. As someone else mentioned, CAs tend to have more tonal separation and fewer overtones than comparable wood guitars. I actually like that quality for most of the music I play, though it is a shortcoming on some occasions. CAs are (or were) shipped with Elixir lights. I’ve found that my Vintage is very responsive to different strings, and to a degree the overtones seem to emerge a bit more with medium, uncoated PB strings. Over all I prefer the sound of my CA over any other guitar I’ve played, even my much loved old D-35.

TC
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsckey View Post
If you want bottom end you’ll need to play a CA Dread, particularly the Vintage voiced model, or whatever it’s called now. The GX I played had a very nice tone, but lacked the depth I prefer, but that quality is present in abundance in the Vintage Performer model.
Apparently the new offset soundhole models are meant to kick out some serious low end but still with the GX body size and overall tone...might be worth looking into (I know I am!!)
Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
Apparently the new offset soundhole models are meant to kick out some serious low end but still with the GX body size and overall tone...might be worth looking into (I know I am!!)
I'm looking forward to playing one of that style. Last Summer I had a chance to talk to Tim Stafford about CA guitars at a rare Blue Highway performance here in Sacramento (he is, or was, one of their endorsing artists). He mentioned a new, offset soundhole model on the horizon, which has since been introduced. At the time he was playing a CA Bluegrass Performer--which features the Legacy, balanced, voicing--through an aura onboard system. It sounded pretty good and really cut through the mix and was as audible as the banjo and dobro, but it was a bit tinny and harsh on occasion.

By the way, for those who haven't had a chance to seen them, Blue Highway is a terrific group.

TC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber