The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-30-2002, 11:36 PM

Default How to pick out a Fender Strat?

I've got my heart set on having a Fender strat one day (whether brand new or used, quality over price, but that doesn't mean i'l have an unlimited budget). With all the different types Fender has, Customs, American, Standard, Deluxe, how do I know which ones are the 'real deal'? I know the last thing I want is a relic, nos, closet, or whatever marketing thing they have. I do know that I would like a SRV with a new pickguard of course, but then again, I've read that a lot of the parts on there are just crap that you could substitute on a standard strat and make it so much better.

What would one suggest? Any Fender experts here? And if an old strat is the way to go, how would one go about finding one and knowing what it is when you've found it?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 10-31-2002, 12:41 AM

Scott, you'll get as many different answers as there are people. My personal favorite strat is the plain American, ash bodied, maple neck strat. If you truly want top quality and lower price, my opinionis the best strats say "Legacy" on the headstock and are made by G&L.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:43 AM

After doing a little bit of quick research, I think I'm sold on a G&L (of course, won't know 'til I actually play one). Luckily, there are a few dealers in the area, so hopefully I can check one out before I head out to the workshop this weekend. Now, just to figure out if the Legacy, Legacy Special, or S-500 is for me. From my 30 minutes of research, I'd say the Legacy, but the prices on all of them are amazing. I was expecting a couple grand...I'm used to be extorted by anything having to do with the name Fender.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:35 AM

Greetings Scott,
I have a few older fenders. My strats are 66' and an 86'.

IMHO if you want the real thing from Fender, it would be one of the custom shop time machine series. They are nice (and expensive) accurate reproductions of the real thing.

G&L is a good direction to look. They are to a one they are great guitars. If you don't mind getting a used one, there are some great deals to be had. You could get two, maybe three for the price of a Fender custom shop guitar!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:35 AM

G&L's are a steal in the used market. They don't hold their value because the headstock doesn't have "Fender" on it. Most people don't know what the "L" in "G&L" stands for.

Go to www.guitarsbyleo.com for some grat G&L info and some great people.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:46 AM

G&L's are a steal as a NEW guitar!
They are completely handmade in California, and are truly what Leo Fender wanted a Strat to be.
Not some mass produced piece of wood!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:58 AM

Default Fender...G&L?....

You said you had your heart set on a Fender, then you were willing to compromise with a G&L. Go ahead and get the G&L because it sounds like a great guitar but don't give up on what you really want. Put the Fender on the back burner, one of those you always keep your eye out for. It may be another decade or two til you actually find it. So
as the comedian Killer Beaz says, " Save Up!" My Dad always told me, "Don't be afraid to by the best quality, you won't be dissappointed."

bukwheat
Old 10-31-2002, 08:39 AM

Hi Scott:

I haven't played a G&L, so I can't comment on them. I have several Fenders, however. Among them are 2 Custom Shop Strats and a Custom Shop Telecaster. They are a notch above the other Strat series (Vintage, American Standard, etc.) in fit/finish, sound and playability IMHO. That doesn't mean that the other series are not good guitars - they are excellent. Of course, the cost for Custom Shop guitars is high - about $1500 - $2000, I believe. Higher if you want additional customization. The American made Fenders hold their value - the non U.S. made ones don't.

I think you're right to avoid the relic, closet and NOS series. If I want my guitar beat up , I'll do it myself - for no charge. As cool as a well-used '52 Tele looks, I can't see buying a new one and spending extra to have it "distressed."

I guess my advice is to try the G&L and Fenders. Decide based on the sound & playability. If owning a guitar with the name brand of Fender on the headstock is important, you have to consider that as well. My dream from the age of 16 was to own a "genuine" Stratocaster. I have 6 now, so I guess at least one dream has been realized. (Now, about that dream to own a Taylor PS15...)

Good luck - let us know what you get!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:52 AM

The G&L is to fender what Heritage is to Gibson. Same guitar but better at a lower price. The L in G&L stands for Leo Fender who founded G&L Excellan fender copy if you can really call it a copy.

Now most people will end up changeing pickups along the way so get a Mexi-strat, slap in the pickups you like and wham the guitar of your dreams. The american strat is still a great bargin if you dont get caught up in having them beat it up for you. The SRV model is wound tighter than a 3 dollar watch. If you play like stevie its great but the word mellow will never come into play. I think the regular 799.00 american strat is still a super guitar. The Mexi comes in a close second. JW
Old 10-31-2002, 09:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got an S-500 and can give you a few steers. Hopefully none will be bums:

Be aware that a feature of the G&Ls is "Passive Bass and Treble" tone controls, giving you bass and treble roll-offs. They are very handy and nice sounding filters.

Legacy: Classic Strat sound. On all these models, the Ash bodies and maple boards make things brighter.
Legacy Special: The same with stacked humbuckers, and a graphite nut. They sound pretty close to a strat but loose just a tiny bit of high-end because of the buckers. Very quiet if you play out. Deluxe finishes are standard.
S-500: This guitar has "Magnetic Field DesignŽ" single coil pickups which feature a higher output and wider frequency range. Offers a a "blower" switch which allows all combinations of pickups (one of which sounds much like a tele). This guitar is great for blues. I find myself rolling off a little bass and treble all the time. Deluxe finishes are standard. Play one and listen to the pickups before you buy.

To my eyes, the G&Ls offer better wood, better detail, hand craftsmanship (they are hand built), at a better price.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-31-2002, 10:05 AM

Scott,
I have an American Deluxe Fat Strat that I love. Good thing too because it's my only guitar right now (had a Les Paul and Breedlove recently). I got lucky, bid on one on eBay that didn't meet the reserve. I was high bidder so the seller emailed me. Struck a deal for $750 and split delivery. But it's clearly the easiest guitar to play, in my experience. It has a transparent crimson finish, locking tuners and an LSR roller nut. I couldn't be happier. Versatile too! It was a new 2000 from a closed music shop.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:11 AM

Hi Scott,

There are alot of good suggestions here. I would recommend playing and listening to both, and look at what you're gonna get for the amount of money you want to spend. If you go with G&L you certainly won't compromise. It sounds like you've looked at Fenders but haven't heard of G&L until recently, I think they're one of the best kept secrets out there. Go with how you feel and don't worry about what's on the head stock.

As an example, there an fiesta red Legacy with Texas Special pups at www.guitar-emporium.com for $650. They want to move it and will probably do you pretty good, I've played it several times and it's nice. The only reason I haven't picked it up is because I already have a Legacy I'm happy with (I traded a 40th anniv. strat for it-wasn't even close!).

I guess one thing I'm a little confused about is why someone would buy a Mexi-strat over a Legacy..........Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

mojo

Baby-M
Adamas SMT
Takamine Santa Fe, PSF-94
Tacoma D-14
Ric 360 Carl Wilson, #16 of 500
G&L Fanatic!!!
'89 PRS CE-24
Heritage H-150
'69 Fender Twin Reverb (blackface)
Fender Princeton Reverb II (Rivera)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401 combo
Roland Blues Cube
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Old 10-31-2002, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo
Hi Scott,

I guess one thing I'm a little confused about is why someone would buy a Mexi-strat over a Legacy..........Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

mojo
hmmmmmmmmmm Because I can buy a new mexi-strat for 290 dollars. Budget come into play sometimes and you can modify it just like any other strat if you choose to. JW
Old 10-31-2002, 12:09 PM

You have a point there JW. I didn't know you could buy a mexi for that cheap. I've seen them for around 400-550 new, that's what I was basing my reply on.

Thank

mojo

Baby-M
Adamas SMT
Takamine Santa Fe, PSF-94
Tacoma D-14
Ric 360 Carl Wilson, #16 of 500
G&L Fanatic!!!
'89 PRS CE-24
Heritage H-150
'69 Fender Twin Reverb (blackface)
Fender Princeton Reverb II (Rivera)
Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 401 combo
Roland Blues Cube
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
Old 10-31-2002, 12:42 PM

Default On the emotional level

Whether consciuosly or sub-consciously I believe a big factor in the decison making process is the emotional buzz you get from a particular guitar.

I bought a Fender strat (American) partly because of the history of the guitar and the great guitarists who played them. While I will never be able to play like Stevie, I still get a kick out of knowing he played a similar axe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars