The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Talking Rick Turner RS-6

Hey guys!

I just aquired a 2007 Rick Turner RS-6 with an Ameritage case and the Rick Turner gig bag and am sooooooooo happy. I also bought an UltraSound AG-30 that should be here anyday now that should make a nice compliment to it!

I have owned 3 (yes, that's right 3) T5's and just didn't feel like they fit my expectations very well. I've also owned a Gibson Chet Atkins and again, wasn't all that satisfied. Not to say they aren't great guitars because they are, they just didn't fit my expectation.

I have to say the RS-6 has more than met my expectations and my hopes. I can't believe the tone on this guitar. It truly sounds like an acoustic, yet is so comfortable to play and only weighs about 5lbs! Having had back surgery this is a big plus!

I love my Gibby and it's tone is great but I think I'm going to be letting her have a "break" for a while. Just a break though, she'll be back!

I read all of the reviews on this I could find from both AGF forum members and some old post from the TGF as well as Harmony Central, etc. and could find not one bad thing said about this guitar. Now I see why.

I can't wait to hear it through my new UltraSound. I play through the PA at our church 99% of the time but have started playing on Saturdays with my P&W drummer and bass player and needed something to use for that as well as a good practice amp for home.

I love my Gibson and I've played and owned many great Taylors (I truly miss having a Taylor in my stable and that will be my next addition) and Martins but I finally feel like I have the "missing link" to my stable.

Plus the RS-6 is completely different looks wise (I dig it!) and I like having something that not everyone else has.

I'll try to post some pics when I get time. Man, I'm so excited and am so happy to finally feel like I've found that feel and tone that I've been looking for in this style of guitar.

Any RS-6 owners wanna chime in???
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the comments.

BTW, we now offer the RS-6 in a new setup called "the Deuce". I've modified one of my pal Seymour Duncan's humbuckers (the StagMag) to voice it for bronze strings. We set it up with a separate output so you can run it into an electric guitar amp while sending the RS-6 D-TAR pickup to an acoustic amp or the PA. The unusual thing about this is that we're not trying to get an "acoustic" sound out of the magnetic pickup, we're getting electric tone with bronze strings.

Janet Robin was demoing at our NAMM booth with the standard piezo into a Bose L-1 and the Deuce mag into a Duncan Twin Tube stomp box driving my 1964 Princeton Reverb. Sounded divine!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 PM

AWESOME!!!! Rick, I PM'd you....I'm super excited about the new pickup!

Can this pickup be added to an older RS6?

Last edited by sbruce; 01-21-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM

I too am super excited about this "deuce" option. I'd love to read more!

aaron
Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Default A string question

Rick,

Thanks for the reply! So cool that you respond and are available to answer questions.

If I were to change the strings on my RS-6 could I use the DR Rares in a .012 and get a good tone both electric wise as well as acousitically??

I have used the DR Zebra's before but normally use DR Rares or the DR Pre-Alloy. So far I love the TI strings but am not sure how difficult it would be to get them. I'm guessing they would be an internet order??

Anyway, just thought I'd ask. I will be using this primarily on the acoustic side.

BTW, if the deuce is available as an upgrade for the RS-6 can you PM me or email me the cost? I'd be very interested as well.

my email address is
[email protected]
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Sounds great Rick! Where can we get more info on "The Duece"?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:43 PM

The whole point of the Deuce is to be able to get not only the amplified acoustic tone we're known for, but then to get real electric tone with the magnetic pickup using bronze or brass wound strings. I modify Seymour's StagMag pickup by drilling out some of the holes in the base plate, and that allows me to lower the magnets away from the B and E strings. If you wanted to use extra light bronze with an unwound "G", we can accommodate that as well, but for normal use, we're voicing these for standard sets with four wound and two unwound strings.

The StagMag is a wonderful hybrid pickup using Strat-style magnets in typical Humbucking pickup bobbins. With a coil cut switch on the push pull tone control, you can have either the fat humbucker sound or the more focused single coil tone.

Playing through two amps you get the most marvelous shimmer as each pickup is slightly differently sensitive to different string harmonics. Then if you put overdrive on the mag and keep the piezo clean, you get a huge fat sound that is almost like twin guitarists.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Congratulations, PTony, and Rick, thanks for helping make this forum a great place to hang out!

cotten
Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Well, I'm super excited to say that through some really cool personal developments, I've placed an order for the 1st production model (what I've been told) of the new Renaissance "the deuce" . I've been given a delivery date of March 1-15! I am so excited to try it, I can hardly wait. I took a chance on a guitar I've never even seen or played; but the Renaissance reputation is so great, I'm hoping I'll be pleased.

I'll post more when I recieve it. FYI, I purchased from Gary Gould @ Western Guitars. He was great to deal with!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion