The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 PM

Default a few recordings of a Composite acoustic GX performer

Here are a few recordings of my CA GX. It was done at a friends house with a simple one track recording program for computer. Nothing fancy or any special sound equipment- no EQing. There may be a tad of distortion from input levels maybe a tad high.

The ones with the MXL990 mic -the mic was a good 3.5 feet away and I was not really aimed at it well.

the others were with a Sure PG57 mic about 10" off the fret board at the 12th fret.

Like I said these are pretty basic and just quick one take shots with out doing any pre testing to get the best possible sound. We just set the levels and off I went.

On the strumming you may here a bit of high end ringing which is caused by me playing the G chord formation with the ring and pinky on the B and E string 3rd fret( actually these were capo 1) If I don`t have my ring and pinky finger nails trimmed REAL short I can get this a bit more noticable. I could get my Taylor to ring bad too. Something about playing a G chord that way can cause some wild frequencies. The mic really picked it up as it was close to my fret hand.

I did not include the flat pick MXL990 as I alsready had it posted as a comparison to the Taylor814ce. I can only put up 3 attachments.Attachment 227

Attachment 228

Attachment 229

while these are not bad I still like the tone in person better!!

Last edited by leeasam; 01-22-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks for posting these. I definitely like the sound of this guitar. FWIW, I prefer the distant miking a bit more in this case.

Gary
Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 AM

very impressive, I like that tone, it sounds a little metallicy (is that a word) but I still like it............. FWIW I played one the other day at a local guitar shop (Danny D's) and I was very impressed with the tone...........the neck was a little wide for me but I still liked it................
Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 PM

Leeasam;
Just curious; what strings are you using on your CA? Great tone, for sure. I'm looking for something new to try on my Legacy.

Stoney
Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 PM

I know some of the other CA guitars use the 80/20s but my GX performer came from the factory w/Elixir Phos bronze lights. I did try for about 2 day a set of Elixir 80/20 and it sounded real Taylor like and actually a little too bright so I went back to the PB. I tried PB on my 814CE once and did not like it at all but this GX seems to love them!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 PM

Check this out. Erik Mongrain and his Rainsong JM1000 Composite. Just love the deep rich overtones of this instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDGXs...eature=related

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Check this out. Erik Mongrain and his Rainsong JM1000 Composite. Just love the deep rich overtones of this instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDGXs...eature=related
Hi Nelson...
Similar to David Wilcox's live sound - but it is produced electronically not acoustically.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 AM

I want one.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Wow - your GX Performer sounds really good - thanks for posting!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 AM

Default leeasam - steel frets? carbon saddle?

Man the intonation of the lower frets sounds good on those clips! Tone means little to me over the internet, but intonation means tonnes!!! I'm liking CA more and more .... and more.

Hey leeasam, techy question for you. Does your GX have Stainless steel frets and or the Carbon Fibre saddle??? I have been very curoius as to how they sound. I like that they should last a long time!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM

I know all CA's have stainless steel frets. I really think the composite material is superior electrically with the undersaddle transducer. It goes against the wood soundboard pickup mentality of this board. But my best sounding guitar electrically is my CA X with IMIX totally turned to the saddle pickup. At this point I really don't use the Ibeam and Rainsong only has the undersaddle baggs.
Steve
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott E Worby View Post
Man the intonation of the lower frets sounds good on those clips! Tone means little to me over the internet, but intonation means tonnes!!! I'm liking CA more and more .... and more.

Hey leeasam, techy question for you. Does your GX have Stainless steel frets and or the Carbon Fibre saddle??? I have been very curoius as to how they sound. I like that they should last a long time!
Stainless frets and Carbon fiber nut and saddle

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/gxperformer.html

Things should last a LONG time. I know that there have been a few comments about these guitars VS wood. I know ljguitar made some comments about David wilcox recording w/his Olsen and I would hope that an instrument that can be worth in the area of $7,000 and up from a small builder better sound better than a guitar in the low 2 Grand range!!!

I still like some wood guitars. But when I compare this CA GX to guitars in the same price range it is hard to find one that is better being wood. AND this CA guitar is SUPER comfoprtable to play and sounds great ALL the time and never have to deal with climate issues. I had a nice Taylor 814CE and after owning this I really don`t miss it. The Taylor really has no advantage over this either TONE wise or construction wise. And plugged in IMO it`s no contest the CAGX wins over the ES I had. The GX does not have any dead notes or dulls out up the fret board like many wood guitars can even expensive botique ones. It`s tha charater of wood sometimes with the bracing and wood one can have a specific not that does not resonate as well as it hits just the right freq. that the wood does not respond too. Have not noticed any issues with the CA GX.

To the eye it`s hard not to fall in love with with many wood guitars. It all comes down to tone and playability and right now the CA GX does it better than what I had. Looks are not a big issue with me. if you buy a work of art you won`t want to play it!!! Althought he fit and finish of the GX is SUPER!!
When I bought my 814CE I had the oportunity to buy a 414CE LTD in rosewood. Could have save a good grand but the 414 was not revoiced and IMO did not hold a candle to the 814 for tone so I had to bite the bullit.

If the 414 would have sounded the same as the 814 I would have bought it as eye candy is not an issue with me -- unfortunately the was night and day in tone and the 414ce just did not cut it compared to the 814 I had.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
...I know ljguitar made some comments about David wilcox recording w/his Olsen and I would hope that an instrument that can be worth in the area of $7,000 and up from a small builder better sound better than a guitar in the low 2 Grand range!!
Hi Leeasam...
Just to clarify and make sure we understand David Wilcox's point contrasting carbon fiber guitars (which he plays live) versus solid wood guitars at a two hour workshop we attended this past Saturday...Jan 12, 2008.

In his lengthy explanation about guitar choice for touring he made these points...
Carbon Fiber guitars are nearly indestructible, and sound as good through a PA as other guitars making them perfect for road work, but they do not compare in quality and sensitivity to solid wood acoustics.

I agree.

It has nothing to do with how much a guitar costs whether carbon fiber or solid body. My preference is wood.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM

I agree also.

Composites have their place, but the only thing that sounds completely like wood...is wood.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Leeasam...
Just to clarify and make sure we understand David Wilcox's point contrasting carbon fiber guitars (which he plays live) versus solid wood guitars at a two hour workshop we attended this past Saturday...Jan 12, 2008.

In his lengthy explanation about guitar choice for touring he made these points...
Carbon Fiber guitars are nearly indestructible, and sound as good through a PA as other guitars making them perfect for road work, but they do not compare in quality and sensitivity to solid wood acoustics.

I agree.

It has nothing to do with how much a guitar costs whether carbon fiber or solid body. My preference is wood.
Yup I understand. And I also understand why he would use the Olsen for recording as they are one of the holy grail guitars so to speak.

I know if I wanted to spend more I could find a wood guitar that really is super just for now for what I have for a budget I can`t afford both. I wish I could havekept the 814CE as it was a special one, but when it came down to picking one over the other the CA GX won out. I play plugged in every week and the acoustic tone is on par or even better IMO over the Taylor. and plugged in there is no contest. IF I buy a Taylor again it will be win no electrics as I know there are other options I believe I will enjoy more.

At this moment the only wood guitar I really want someday soon as if fills a niche of playing I do to a T and sounds great IMO is a MArtin HD28V.

I know that Taylors seem to have a claim to fame so to speak for onstage ability but IMO the CA GX is better. SO when I get another wood one it will be the HD28V. Nothing fancy about those just great tone!!!

I`m not saying I don`t like wood just right now the Composite is the fit for me at this time. I like wood too

You like wood and I do like the CA composites

Ya know what ?? that is cool with me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber