The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Lightbulb carbon vs wood. consistancy vs uniqueness

My thoughts ...

I like Carbon guitars. Particularly, I like Composite Acoustics carbon guitars. I like the idea, the reality, the look, the maintenance (or lack thereof), and most importantly, the tone. I had settled within myself that my next purchase would be a Composite Acoustics guitar.

Then why do I spend so much time looking at guitars made of wood?

I had reasoned to myself that a Composite Acoustics guitar would be more stable, thus more predictable with different venues, next to no maintenance, blah, blah, blah… So why am I still looking at all these less stable, high maintenance wooden things?

I gave this some serious thought. When my reasoning seems to get trumped right in front of my eyes, it is worth looking into. I don't want go get a guitar and then have my sub-consciousness reveal valid objections. So I delved into the possibilities.

I think at the core of the matter is what actually started the whole matter in the first place. It’s the unpredictable element of natural things that makes them so attractive. We even assign values to what we perceive to be a more unpredictable or unusual occurrence. I am referring to grades of wood, AAA, AAAAA, Master, etc. As well as the mysteriously enchanting patterns that wood can form such as, bear claw, flamed, curled, etc. I notice many of us on this site commenting on that flamed redwood top that looks like waves of fire, or this amazingly figured brazillian rosewood back, and MANY other beautiful examples of wood.

I love the idea of a guitar that is open the minute I get it, but what about getting to open it up myself? Sure, there’s no maintenance, but will I connect with a guitar that I didn’t have to tolerate at times? It’s like a good relationship in the sense that, sometimes the relationship can be hard to bare. Yet it’s these times that cause the relationship to be stronger once you come through it. I know that when my guitar develops an issue, it can REALLY frustrate me. But once I’ve figured out and resolved the issue, I am so happy to hear my guitars sweet tones again. It’s like hearing a good friends voice after a long time apart.

Personally, I would take a Composite Acoustics guitar over a factory made (assembly line style) wooden guitar any day. BUT, if I had to choose between a hand made (for me) wooden guitar over a Composite Acoustics guitar … I don’t know what I would do. The thought of someone spending all the time and effort to get the most out of a unique piece of wood, the uniqueness of that wood itself, the “one-of-a-kind” element that a luthier can bring forth through brace shaping, brace placement and planing of the top, is just too appealing.

So then, what drove me to a Composite Acoustics guitar is the same thing that drives to gaze at amazing pieced of wood, shaped and voiced by amazing luthiers. I appreciate the consistency of carbon, but I love the randomness and potential of wood. Sure, wood can be a gamble, but a good luthier knows how to bring forth the tone.

Solution, I will get them both ...and then some.

NOTE: Because I have mentioned the name Composite Acoustics, I will mention a few more points to try and close a can of worms before it gets out everywhere. I know that Composite Acoustics guitars are hand made. I know that the braces are placed differently from model to models to voice the top. I know that the top has been shaped and voiced by amazing luthiers in research and development, then duplicated to incredible consistency. I know that great care and luthier ability went into developing and implementing all Composite Acoustics designs. I like them a lot and have championed these amazing guitars.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Musical minimalist

yep, sounds like you need both to me. if you get ready for the CA, give Danny at Acoustic Pro Musician a call.....he just got back from the CA factory a few days ago. He's been a dealer for quite a while now and knows his stuff, big time.

If I lived any farther north, I may give a CA a shot. I saw David Wilcox (the american singer/songwriter) using a CA the last two times he toured. He sounded great. If it's good enough for him, it's certainly good enough for me!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Over the Holidays I had a chance to play a bunch of high-end guitars back to back: Santa Cruz, R. Taylor, regular Taylor, Larrivee, vintage Martins, and three offerings from CA: X, GX, and Vintage Performer (an example of which I already own). The experience reinforced what I’d already suspected; that, at least to my ear, the CA Vintage Performer had the most pleasing tone. BUT, the guitar that just blew me away, and gave me a bit of GAS (I thought I was immune) was one of the R. Taylor beauties. The tone was close to the CA, but it was unsurpassed as a piece of playable art. Ultimately, that’s the distinction I draw between the carbon guitars, CA in particular, and wooden. As a musician, I am drawn inexorably to the beautiful, predictable and dead reliable sounds that come from my CA, and I play it obsessively. But for abstract, pulse-quickening lust, my eye still wanders lovingly to the provocative contours and colors of my wooden guitars.

TC
Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 PM

I have a few clips of my CA GX posted here

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=116036
Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 PM

CA Guitars are built in my hometown of Lafayette, LA - so they must be good!

I actually know two of the founding employees (both still there) - they risked going with CA at the expense of two respectable repair/sales jobs at the top guitar stores in the area. Glad it worked out for them...I want to have one just for the attachment to Cajun country - one day....
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM

I've never played a composite guitar, but they sound like a great idea for certain types of circumstances. I would not pretend to judge their sound. Some of them may even sound much better than wooden guitars. But I would never own one, and for the same reason I would never own an acoustic guitar painted black(or red, or any other color). A big part of the appeal for me is that the guitar was build from natural materials that were once alive. I love the warmth of the look and feel of wood, not just the warm tone. I love the beauty and depth of the grain, the different shapes and direction it takes. It's about much more than just tone and stability/durability to me.At the same time, I would not feel uncomfortable/superior or stuck up playing alongside a musician who used one. They are another tool in the arsenal. More power to them.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
...A big part of the appeal for me is that the guitar was build from natural materials that were once alive. I love the warmth of the look and feel of wood, not just the warm tone. I love the beauty and depth of the grain, the different shapes and direction it takes....
I totaly agree with you there. For me it's also the smells. I love the smell of cedar. I hate how soft it can be, but that smell is wonderful! It's like the wood is still alive. I want a cedar guitar again just for the smell I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsckey View Post
Over the Holidays I had a chance to play a bunch of high-end guitars back to back: Santa Cruz, R. Taylor, regular Taylor, Larrivee, vintage Martins, and three offerings from CA: X, GX, and Vintage Performer (an example of which I already own). The experience reinforced what I’d already suspected; that, at least to my ear, the CA Vintage Performer had the most pleasing tone. BUT, the guitar that just blew me away, and gave me a bit of GAS (I thought I was immune) was one of the R. Taylor beauties. The tone was close to the CA, but it was unsurpassed as a piece of playable art. Ultimately, that’s the distinction I draw between the carbon guitars, CA in particular, and wooden. As a musician, I am drawn inexorably to the beautiful, predictable and dead reliable sounds that come from my CA, and I play it obsessively. But for abstract, pulse-quickening lust, my eye still wanders lovingly to the provocative contours and colors of my wooden guitars.

TC
It's encouraging to hear that CA can hold up against such an impressive peer group. Their RT finish options are pretty cool. I think the C.O.T. package is both unique and tasteful.

As for GAS, figured Ziricote and figured Macassar Ebony give it to me BAD. It's ridiculous! It's like my brain shorts out and I just want it! So yeah TC, "pulse-quickening lust" is probably the best way to describe it ... although somewhat embarrassing for me to admit.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
...f I lived any farther north, I may give a CA a shot. I saw David Wilcox (the american singer/songwriter) using a CA the last two times he toured. He sounded great. If it's good enough for him, it's certainly good enough for me!!!
Hi f-1...
Just clarifying David Wilcox's use of the graphite guitar.

Just spent a couple hours at a David Wilcox workshop this past Saturday (1-12-08) with only 80 of us, and he talked about the guitar and says that it is not as responsive, and not as dynamically capable as a wooden acoustic, and his Olson in particular, and that he cannot wait to get home and play the Olson, but on the road it is essential to have a guitar which he doesn't worry about.

He delivers it at the airline counter at the check-in in a soft bag without the strings detuned and doesn't worry whether it will survive (his description was it is so strong you can use it to jack up your car to change a tire).

He uses a custom designed 5 way pickup and mic array (three separate pickups, and two mics) with the external mic EQ set to only pickup snakes hissing, so we don't actually hear the guitar when we hear him play live.

He still records with his Olson.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber