The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-01-2002, 12:52 AM

Default Stratocasters: Just way too many!!

Gang....

In teasing myself over a possible electric purchase, I've found myself fond of (online) the Fender Strat series as well as several PRS electrics. (But let's keep this thread on the Strats for now....I may start another one regarding the PRS line...)

In reading and looking at the Stratocasters, I see just so many....it's overwhelming to try to digest it all. I'd like to single out and/or eliminate a few prior to ever setting foot in a store to handle them.

I see:

Standard
American
US Special
Fat Strat
Double Fat Strat
Texas Strat
Texas Fat Strat
Hot Rodded Strat
Mexi Strat

....and it goes on and on.....

If any of you own one or more of the above and can elaborate a little on the differences, I'd love to just read some of your opinions on these.....

Thanks in advance....

Rick
Old 10-01-2002, 01:36 AM

Hey Rick,
Hope you plenty of time for research on these baby's. I'm looking at a catalog that lists over 30 models of Strats.It can be overwelming. Over the years I've owned probably a dozen Strats. But recently owned several of the American Standards.
This series gave me the typical Strat sound and playability at an affordable price. Most of the model variations involve differences in the pickup configurations. I have a great catalog I picked up at a Fender workshop I attended. If you'd like to have it you're welcome to it. It does a decent job of explaining some of the differences in each series.
I haven't found one yet made from Cocobolo.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:34 AM

If I were strat shopping, first I would shop body material - ash for me. A lot of the rest of it is just pickups. Besides playing like butter, the other real motivator is the strat sound, so I want to stay as close to standard pickups as possible. Lets face it, the strat is the Chevy Impala of guitars, and no matter how you dress it up, it's not going to be a Cadillac.
By the way, that's not a knock on strats - they're my favorite electric.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:50 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Don't forget to look at "Leo's last strats", the G&L Legacy, Legacy Special, and S-500. They have many refinements while sticking to the same basic theme.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-01-2002, 06:47 AM

This is the guitar for you Rick....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...908697786&rd=1

I'll even give you a 7 day money back guarantee!
Old 10-01-2002, 07:11 AM

Rick,
Just to thin the list a bit, my understanding is that the Standard and the Mexi are the same. They are "made in the US, assembled in Mexico". These are actually really nice guitars. My daughter has one with Custom '54 pickups that has a great tone and playability. I'm not a Strat guy at all (I prefer the Les Paul feel/sound), but love playing her Strat. If there's a budget issue at all, these are worth looking in to.

I find the main difference between the American and Standard Strats to be the quality of the finish. Ever held a Snap-On socket wrench in your hand? And tried to describe it to someone? It's hard to describe - it just _feels_ better. Also with the American, you get a better selection of the higher-grade pickup options.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Asian (Japan, Korea?) made ones. These would be the Squire series. If you're used to the feel of a quality instrument, you'll be sorely disapppointed with these.

Hmm, what else?
The classic Strat has 3 single-coil pickups.
The Fat has one double-coil humbucker at the bridge and 2 single-coils
The Double Fat has 2 humbuckers.
The Texas has the (oh, what's it called) Lone Star (?) pickup (just gives more of a country twang.
The Texas Fat would be the Texas with a humbucker
etc....

Hope this helps.

--jam
Old 10-01-2002, 07:47 AM

Hi Rick,

I have a Standard (Mexican) Strat that I picked up in '99. It's really a good value for the price-I got mine for $330, and I think they still go for around $350-370. For me, someone who doesn't play much electric, this is a great deal.

I get a good strat sound, and mine has excellent playability; please note that I don't use the trem so I can't comment on it's quality. The tuners are good; basically, I haven't had any issues with it at all-just pick it up, plug it in, and play. Like jam said, the American series just "feels better," but the Standard Mex's are pretty hard to beat. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:09 AM

If you are interested in strats, follow Bob Womacks advice and check out G&L's. Fender custom shop quality for Fender American series price. Used they are the best value out there.

For more info:
www.guitarsbyleo.com
www.glguitars.com
Old 10-01-2002, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Stratocasters: Just way too many!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Crider
Gang....

In teasing myself over a possible electric purchase, I've found myself fond of (online) the Fender Strat series as well as several PRS electrics. (But let's keep this thread on the Strats for now....I may start another one regarding the PRS line...)

In reading and looking at the Stratocasters, I see just so many....it's overwhelming to try to digest it all. I'd like to single out and/or eliminate a few prior to ever setting foot in a store to handle them.

I see:

Standard
American
US Special
Fat Strat
Double Fat Strat
Texas Strat
Texas Fat Strat
Hot Rodded Strat
Mexi Strat

....and it goes on and on.....

If any of you own one or more of the above and can elaborate a little on the differences, I'd love to just read some of your opinions on these.....

Thanks in advance....

Rick
The Mexi strat, triple pick up and a great value at 300-350 dollars. I actually frefer the smaller frets on these.

Fat strat has one humbucker in the bridge position and can be had in Korean, Japan, Mexi or USA version. Dont like them

Double fat strat- Buy a Les Paul and get the sustain to support two Humbuckers

Texas strats- These things a wound wat to tight and have a dirty sound and if you want to play LIke SRV this might be your guitar.

If I were going to buy a strat Id either buy a American Standard or Mexican Standard strat. You get that classic standard strat sound. The new American Standard Strat is one of the finest electric bargins in super quality guitars out there. The mexi strat at a little less than Half the price is a bonefied bargin. Id stay away from anything with a Texas or Hod rod pick up unless youve got your amp set on 11 and you jumpin up and down on the roof of the hummer singin "LETS GET MUDDY!!!!!" JW
Old 10-01-2002, 10:27 AM

JW, have you ever played a G&L Legacy? Just curious what you thought of them.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:16 AM

I think the G&L Legacy is a great Strat Copy and sounds great. Id still rather have the real thing. I think Fender still builds a great electric despite its acoustic line. JW
Old 10-01-2002, 02:16 PM

Boy, ain't it the truth. I went throught the Strat education process about 3 years ago when I decided I wanted one. My head is still spinning. It never ceases to amaze me that you can spend anywhere from $300 - $3000 for the same guitar model.

I bought the Mexican Strat, because it was cheap and after all, electric isn't really my thing. I just wanted to have an electric. Ya know what? It's a darn nice guitar, beautifully made. Same price as a Baby Taylor.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:17 PM

Hey Rick, don't forget about the Squier Strat!

A local dealer told me that the differences between the Mexican and American Strats was in the body wood, the Americans being a more resonant variety (Alder, I think?) and higher quality. I've also noticed recently that the newest American models have a satin finish over semi-transparent stain, while the Mexis still have a gloss finish over opaque paint.

Is the American one better? Beats me. I'm an acoustic guy!

Rubberdog, I like your car analogy, and it makes me wonder: If the Strat is an Impala, would that make the Tele a Biscayne? (Does anyone remember the Biscayne?)
Old 10-01-2002, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpmusic
? (Does anyone remember the Biscayne?)
Oh Yeah Baby!! do I! I had a 66 BiscayneL72 427/425 4 speed 4:56 ratio rear, posi trak ,radio and heater delete all plain with bench seat. One bad ***** car. Traded it in 85 for a nice 67 SS 396 Chevelle.JW
Old 10-01-2002, 05:40 PM

Talking

Gibson, Les Paul Custom, Sunburst - OOPS! Sorry! Wrong answer . . .
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars