The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Default Is Your Bridge Polished.??

I have a guitar in which one side of the bridge isn't polished, the side towards the soundhole. Dust loves to collect there and because it isn't polished, well, it just makes it worse.

It's not a huge deal to me. I simply clean it when the strings are off.

Is your bridge polished "all the way around.??"
Old 05-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I have a guitar in which one side of the bridge isn't polished, the side towards the soundhole. Dust loves to collect there and because it isn't polished, well, it just makes it worse.

It's not a huge deal to me. I simply clean it when the strings are off.

Is your bridge polished "all the way around.??"
I'm not sure what you mean by 'polished'.

I have 8 acoustics.
Only the classical has a bridge that was finished with nitrocellulose lacquer, just like the rest of the exterior of the guitar, except the fingerboard.

The bridges of all seven steel-string guitars have no finish (of nitrocellulose polyester or any other finish) over the ebony or rosewood.
They may have been oiled at the factory and 'polished' by someone rubbing the oil into the wood.

But again what do you mean by 'polished'?

Last edited by Tico; 05-24-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Probably means "sanded smooth to a shiny surface." Ebony, Rosewood, and others can be shined up like this with 2000-grit paper.

If you keep your guitars out of the case and close at hand, get yourself a good-quality latex paint brush. A 2" trim brush is perfect to use like a whisk to dust off the bridge, headstock, etc. The soft natural bristles are perfectly safe for all finishes. Do not use the brush for any other purpose. Tie a loop of leather lacing through the handle and hang the brush on the back of your guitar stand.

One like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FVEAA...H-3/s-l500.jpg

Apply some walnut stain to the handle to dress it up a bit if you like.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peegoo View Post
Probably means "sanded smooth to a shiny surface." Ebony, Rosewood, and others can be shined up like this with 2000-grit paper.

If you keep your guitars out of the case and close at hand, get yourself a good-quality latex paint brush. A 2" trim brush is perfect to use like a whisk to dust off the bridge, headstock, etc. The soft natural bristles are perfectly safe for all finishes. Do not use the brush for any other purpose. Tie a loop of leather lacing through the handle and hang the brush on the back of your guitar stand.

One like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FVEAA...H-3/s-l500.jpg

Apply some walnut stain to the handle to dress it up a bit if you like.

I know how to clean the guitar.

The ebony bridge is polished, silky smooth. Except for the side facing the soundhole. It looks like a "rough cut" but thats not the proper term. It's unfinished.

The question to others is... Is your bridge polished on all exposed sides.??
Old 05-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

The bridge on my Lowden most certainly is 'polished' - it has a satin 'half-gloss' on the RW (I think it's EIR).

The bridges on my Martins and Collings are definitely not 'polished' - just black-stained, unfinished ebony, completely matt on all surfaces.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:58 PM

So the bridge on your Martins and Collings have a uniform "finish" to the bridge.

My bridge does not have a uniform finish. It looks as though I have a bridge that "2-tone." 3/4's of the bridge on my Larrivee is gorgeous. And then, that ugly leading edge. I wonder why.?? It looks like a short cut. That said, I can deal with this, no problem. It's a beautiful guitar in nearly every way.

I don't know. I just took a good look with a glass and I'm guessing it has to do with the grain. It doesn't reflect light like the rest of the bridge does.

Last edited by 3notes; 05-24-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM

I can't recall ever seeing a bridge whose surface was not uniformly finished.
Every guitar I've owned, cheap to expensive has a bridge that is sanded smooth on all exposed surfaces.
Sounds like yours missed a step during the finishing process. If it were mine (and it bothered me) I wouldn't hesitate to tape off the top around the bridge and sand with fine sandpaper and micromesh. Apply small amount of Dr. Ducks Axe Wax and play the thing.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I dunno, I never gave it a moment's thought, but now I'll have to go look.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I can't recall ever seeing a bridge whose surface was not uniformly finished.
Every guitar I've owned, cheap to expensive has a bridge that is sanded smooth on all exposed surfaces.
Sounds like yours missed a step during the finishing process. If it were mine (and it bothered me) I wouldn't hesitate to tape off the top around the bridge and sand with fine sandpaper and micromesh. Apply small amount of Dr. Ducks Axe Wax and play the thing.
Me too. I think. I just noticed it a day or 2 ago. Can't get it out of my head. Yet, it doesn't bother me that much. lol. Go figure...

It seems like they missed it.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

They probably did miss it. Just something that slipped by someone. It’s not too big of a deal. We use Johnson’s paste wax to buff our bridges up to a semi-gloss. If you want, you could put some painter’s tape around the area and buff on some wax in thin coats (or the whole bridge) until you got the look you desire. Use a soft rag and try not to get the wax in places you don’t want. 10 minutes max to a “finished” bridge.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
They probably did miss it. Just something that slipped by someone. It’s not too big of a deal. We use Johnson’s paste wax to buff our bridges up to a semi-gloss. If you want, you could put some painter’s tape around the area and buff on some wax in thin coats (or the whole bridge) until you got the look you desire. Use a soft rag and try not to get the wax in places you don’t want. 10 minutes max to a “finished” bridge.
Thanks for the tip.

I've got a free set up to burn. I'll run it by the luthier when I make it down to the shop in a month or 2.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:34 PM

The rosewood bridge on mine is finely sanded, but doesn't have anything (other than the natural oils in the wood). So I guess you could say its polished.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 AM

A little treatment with Music Nomad F-One fretboard conditioner and you won't even notice it.

Here's my Martin JDP II before and after I used it on the fretboard and bridge.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-25-2018, 12:14 AM

My 14yo Larrivee L-03 has acquired a polish on the bass-side wing of the ebony bridge just from playing it. Could yours have gotten polished this way?

It actually looks nice on my L-03...makes me want to polish the treble side to match. I've already polished the rest of the body.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-25-2018, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
A little treatment with Music Nomad F-One fretboard conditioner and you won't even notice it.
Dr Duck's will do the same thing. I've used it on the bridges and FBs of my acoustics, and to darken the RW FB of my wife's Fender bass.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion