The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

What can anyone tell me about the 00x? I've owned a DX1ae that I let go because of the 1 11/16 nut and me getting tired of the big body. I've seen and played the 000x several times and even seen good used prices nearby. But I've never even seen a 00 in the NY area

So how does the 00x compare to the 000x and how does it compare to the Dread Jr as a travel guitar?

What is the overall length of the 00x
Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 AM

I had played a DX1 a couple years before and was very impressed with the sound. A friend came over to jam one night and I thought how good his guitar sounded. Then I went over and looked at his guitar and realized why it sounded so good. It was a DX1.

As for the necks, I like the stratabond ones. They certainly don't hurt the sound and feel just fine.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:49 AM

The beat up DX-1 I just purchased pretty much sounds like the one in this video. I haven't played many real Martins, but from listening to videos, I think the real ones may sound brighter and more present. That being said, the sound of a good DX-1 is different, but still very nice. I'd describe it as dry and hollow, like an old blues recording. The Martin bass is definitely there, and the highs have a nice quality to them. (Disclaimer: I'm not the guy in the video. He plays much, much better than me!)

https://youtu.be/2Der2iIqilw

Last edited by Rick1114; 05-27-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:53 PM

I've had my DX1AE for around four years now. I'm still amazed at the great sound of this guitar. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's definitely got that Martin bass tone.

Last edited by Beachrunner; 09-11-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:01 PM

I have two X series guitars 000X1 and a 00LX1AE. Great guitars for the $$$.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 AM

I do not own any X series Martin guitar, but I extensively played a couple of those (both were dreadnoughts, one of them had a mahogany - or sapele - top): despite being a bit on the heavy side, both sounded nice and had the famous Martin big bass.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

The Martin DX1 was my first guitar. I still have it. I think it is incredible for a beginner guitar. My only complaint has been the neck. While easy to play, I have grown to dislike the roundness of the neck. Compared to my new Furch, the Furch is miles better with neck playing.

I also have to say that these guitars may be some of the best gigging guitars you can get. They are extremely durable and easy to fix. I had mine fall off a chair, and the back and side split open. I got it fixed for $150 bucks, and can't even tell it was broken. That's the true beauty of the HPL.

I do find it to be a bit crass in tone, it has bass, but that is overwhelming. If you want to really make this guitar a more balanced tone, I highly recommend Ernie ball Aluminum Bronze.

They also do age well. I have had mine for over 10 years, and it continues to impress me! It blew away all the other $500 guitars I played and has only improved as the Spruce has aged. (And contrary to popular belief, there is a big difference when the Spruce is properly humidified)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM

When I bought my first Martin (A DRS2) I started "finding" lots of youtube videos about Martins (funny how that happens...)

Anyway, there's a lady who works for Martin (can't remember her name), who is all over youtube showing all the wonderful Martin guitars and talking about the bracing patterns of Martins and their shapes/woods/sizes and whatnot. In one of those videos she told the story about a luthier who made basically a paper mâché body guitar with a solid wood top and how amazing the sound was and it was all because of the solid wood top.

Using this as a guide, the X series should all sound amazing since they have solid tops and their various HPL bodies really don't come into play in terms of sound.

All of which kind of makes me wonder why we go on and on about needing solid wood B/S and maybe we all ought to trade down to laminated B/S models (just kidding- I love my all solid wood guitars and would never sell them.)

For those who own and play their X models, I'm very happy you found a guitar you love!

Food for thought,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion