The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-24-2018, 11:32 AM

Nice practice space, Paul!

We're on our fourth Shetland Sheepdog. Great breed. Not especially interested in music; they just want to be nearby, no matter what I'm doing.

We had two cats, but my son's highly allergic, so we have no plans on getting any more. I miss them, but I don't miss having a cat.

My teenager wants a gecko. Aren't those the things we try to keep out of the house?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Animals rule. I have a tiny lizard that's easy to look after though.
That's cool. If I had a pet newt I would call him 'Tiny'... Because he would be my newt.

YouTube
Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM
AGF Administrator

Dog person, Labs in particular. I did end up with a really cool cat though for 14 years that was a package deal when I met my wife.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:31 PM

i had a dog when i was young but now it is all i can do to fight off other people's dogs on my walk every day. one woman's loose dog(dogs have to be on a leash), ran at me bit into my pants leg and the woman yelled at me for having a hat and sunglasses on. so, now i have to properly dress on my morning walk for dogs? c'mon dog owners!! i see mostly the same people with their dogs on a leash every day. we say hello and it is no problem. but some....

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Nice practice space, Paul!

We're on our fourth Shetland Sheepdog. Great breed. Not especially interested in music; they just want to be nearby, no matter what I'm doing.
Shelties make great pets. I had one years ago. Smart as a whip, easy to train, loved to play.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-24-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1500 View Post
I find it strange that for a feral cat she will not go outdoors; which is OK since here in the Arizona desert, outdoor cats become coyote food.
I had a friend who rescued a feral cat and it did the same thing. It was like, once it got used to having a soft, air-conditioned place to sleep, regular meals, and lots of petting, it said, "Why would I ever want to go back outside again? Been there...done that...not goin' back."
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 PM

Cat person all the way here; fortunately my cat loves to hear me play. She gets kind of cranky if I don't play and gets very vocal about it

It's funny because when I got here she rand and hid when I played and now she sits on my feet like a dog would, or she'll lay down anywhere near where I'm playing.

Either I've gotten better at playing while she's been with me or she just enjoys hearing music. Either way, I won't complain. She's always my audience and I enjoy that.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:00 AM

Four dogs now; one older yorker who is 13 with health issues, one shiba inu who is 9; and two Coton de Tulear puppies who are 11 months old. I'll probably always have two, especially as I get older.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:07 PM

I am 100% a cat person.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:23 PM

i had my share of dogs, but someone else can raise them these days, at 66, im a total cat person
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I was a dog person... until 1982, when picking up our Old English Sheepdogs from the groomers... there was a box of kittens, and the lady said to our then 10-year-old daughter, "You can have one of those kitties for free, if your Daddy says it's OK." Grrrrrrrrrrr.

That cat lived to be almost 22 years old. She became ours when our daughter went off to college. She traveled with us in our motorhomes. It was great sadness in our home when that little furry girl passed. A few months later, a large girl adopted us - came to our house, followed me to work - she wouldn't leave. Our daughter said, "She knows you have a hole in your heart that only another great cat can fill."

We traveled by boat and RV - I wrote a book about traveling with that feline ("Cat On A Leash"). Her time came too soon, but she taught us that we have room in our hearts for another furry family member.

We are now on our 4th cat - another rescue, and a delightful boy. He is my constant companion. He is our cat, but my wife says that I am his person. He is a great traveler, grateful to have been rescued, and an amazing personality.

Rufus, yesterday on the boat...

He gets excited when we see dolphins.

Then, back at the house...

I didn't used to think of myself as a cat person, but our lives have been better because of the great felines we have shared our time with. None have been aloof or indifferent. 36 years now with a great cat as our furry family member (one at a time)... my wife says each has been a great stress-reliever, and better than blood pressure medicine.

Yeah, I guess we are cat people.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
I had a friend who rescued a feral cat and it did the same thing. It was like, once it got used to having a soft, air-conditioned place to sleep, regular meals, and lots of petting, it said, "Why would I ever want to go back outside again? Been there...done that...not goin' back."
Same with Heidi--the shelter found her as a stray at five months old, severely injured from an attack by another unspecified animal. Happy & Heidi are the only cats I've ever had who have no inclination to escape.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:38 PM

I've never been without a dog ever since i was a rugrat.
Now I'm 53 and i can't run with the dog like i used to, so i'm thinking this one could possibly be my last.
This is Nev, just turned 2 years old. Love him to bits.
[IMG]http[/IMG]
[IMG]http[/IMG]

Last edited by inky; 05-27-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Love dogs. Love cats. Love animals.

Inky--you wrote: "Now I'm 53 and i can't run with the dog like i used to, so i'm thinking this one could possibly be my last."

A lot of people have dogs and can't run with them, so they take them to dog parks or other places where dogs can run. A dog can have a wonderful life without you needing to run beside them. Just a seed thought...
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 05-27-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:31 PM

I'll have to wait and see how i'm shaping up in approx. 10 years time.
I have a large bucket list for when i retire and could never leave my dog behind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic