The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post

I find that G strings on a lot of guitars I've tried have something of a thud to them, but some are like this one and on others it's quite subtle.
I've heard various weird sounds produced by a (usually) worn-out G string (it seems particularly prone to problems that accentuate its loudness in some unpleasant way), but nothing so intrusive as this. If I were to try out an instrument like this in a guitar shop, it would be back on its hanger inside 30 seconds ....
Old 05-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Nope, I hear slack strings buzzing (or too low an action), but no 'thunk'.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Nope, I hear slack strings buzzing (or too low an action), but no 'thunk'.
If you listen to her initial slow strum right at 33 seconds, when she gets to the G string, there is a "thud" or "thunk" sound. It sounds quite dead when compared to the other strings plucked at that time.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
If you listen to her initial slow strum right at 33 seconds, when she gets to the G string, there is a "thud" or "thunk" sound. It sounds quite dead when compared to the other strings plucked at that time.
Yes, that's the easiest one to pin down, I think. It almost sounds like someone is hitting the back of the guitar with a knuckle. I hear others at 0.35, 0.57, 1.18, 1.19 (not an exhaustive list) etc, etc - of varying degrees of intrusiveness.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
Yes, that's the easiest one to pin down, I think. It almost sounds like someone is hitting the back of the guitar with a knuckle. I hear others at 0.35, 0.57, 1.18, 1.19 (not an exhaustive list) etc, etc - of varying degrees of intrusiveness.
Indeed. The most obvious and easiest to spot is there, but there are many others.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:01 PM

I think I'm hearing it really strongly at 1:05 and more instances around that time as well. Newer Taylors have it in spades (the 2014-2017 pre V-class models). I've noticed it is more prevalent on scalloped guitars with thin braces that have a deep resonant sound. Guitars with thick straight braces have it much less, as do guitars with a more "forward" voice.

That being said there are a couple things you can do to avoid this sound:

1. Don't pick the strings in the manner she does. Her playing is wonderful, but her thumb-pick attack is quite barbaric at times, for lack of a better term.

2. Use a thinner pick. This goes along with the attack. A thinner pick will generate a softer attack, and thus much less "thunk".

3. Change saddle material. On my 714ce, I've noticed that switching from a softer material like micarta, to a harder material like tusq, has lessened the thunk. (however I am using micarta currently for the darker sound).

4. Change strings. Some strings have a very percussive, definite attack, while others are more mellow and smooth. Elixir makes the smoothest sounding strings I've ever heard (although I dislike their slippery feel).

5. Change back/sides material. I have noticed that rosewood backed guitars have this thunk much more than mahogany, which is dry and crisp.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Newer Taylors have it in spades (the 2014-2017 pre V-class models)
This makes me wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I don't think I've ever heard this sound in any of the dozens of Taylor guitars I've played.

Quote:
her thumb-pick attack is quite barbaric at times, for lack of a better term.
But this makes me wonder again. Am I merely hearing the result of a very heavy-handed thumb picking technique? (But if so, why only on the G string?)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM

flutter waves/phase cancellation etc....i.e. a room with BAD acoustics.....and fulla acoustic guitars all sympathetically vibrating...probably as bad an environment for accurate audio recording as can be found, making it difficult-to-impossible to hear/judge the actual sound of her guitar...you hear all that typical clangy room-echo on her voice, before she even starts playing?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:31 PM

Not the best of acoustic conditions or playing style matched to a particular guitar to get a good read on this - - -

Perhaps you've been playing too many Taylors and are not accustomed to the sound of a strong bass note in a guitar?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar problem with my Circa OM. A thunk that sounded awful to me. I was pulling my hair out and then realized after a couple of days, while facing a different direction in the room, that the thunk had disappeared. Turned back to my usual direction. Thunk reappeared. The small room I usually play in creates a weird resonance effect when facing the right direction. Nothing whatsoever to do with the guitar. Similar notes on my other guitars do the same thing in that room. I think the essence of the problem is the same in all cases. Unwanted positive interference that creates wolf notes.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
Perhaps you've been playing too many Taylors
Haven't touched one in 9 years.

Quote:
and are not accustomed to the sound of a strong bass note in a guitar?
On one of the higher strings?

This really isn't about the *strength* of a note, but about its timbre. It's interesting that some folks here hear it clearly and others do not.

Here's another one in which it seems pronounced to me, such as in the two pinches that occur at 0:13-0:15.

https://youtu.be/X53Q3KGm61Q
Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapus View Post
Here's another one in which it seems pronounced to me, such as in the two pinches that occur at 0:13-0:15.
What I hear is the player's "attack".
Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Nope, no 'thunks' in either of the videos that I can hear. I think people would be better occupied picking up their guitars and playing, rather than wasting time watching videos and listening for barely-existent, or even non-existent 'thunks'. That's what I'm gonna do.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 AM

The rattle you hear at 0.33 is just string buzz, so the strings vibrating against the fret due to low action.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post

Perhaps you've been playing too many Taylors and are not accustomed to the sound of a strong bass note in a guitar?
My HD28V would qualify as having a strong bass notes, I think, and I'm well accustomed to that. But as Funkapus says, that's not actually the issue. This isn't a strong bass note - first, it seems to come only from the G string; second, it hardly qualifies as a note at all. It's like a clunk, a thud, a knock. Seriously unmusical. It so dominates the sound I hear that I can't ignore it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion