The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2018, 10:52 AM

Default OPPO UDP-203 discontinued, and the price goes up !~!~!

How often does this happen?

Everything is going to a streaming model and disc media is going away. Best Buy no longer even has CD's, and their DVD/BluRay/4K sections are slowly getting smaller.

OPPO is getting out of the transport business, although they have other products and not going completely "out of business".

The OPPO 203 is discontinued, but it's a wonderful top 5 player by all reviews. So rather than blowing out the remaining stock, the remaining units are demanding almost double the original MSRP.

I bought one from Crutchfield ($550), then they went out of stock and found another on Amazon for the same price. Now the remaining units are going in the $1200 range....what ????

It cracks me up, electronics usually plunge with new models every few years, but the 203 is appreciating??

As I started, how often does that happen.... weird.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:49 AM

I'm sure that's a blip in the overall scenario.

Maybe it's wearing glasses and some age related hearing loss but I'm happy with the two monthly bills we have for streaming, my headphones, AirPods and quality speakers around a Retina iMac.

I should put my speaker system, amp, tuner and other old stuff for sale before there's no market.

Age probably answers why I don't have time for movies. I can sit down and watch them when the body's too worn out for sports. Asking me about how I value movies and hifi in ten years might bet very different answers.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:37 PM

I hate that Blu-rays and 4K media are slowly disappearing when streaming doesn’t sound as good yet. Thank goodness for Redbox. I don’t want to buy a disc every time I want to watch a new movie.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
How often does this happen?

Everything is going to a streaming model and disc media is going away. Best Buy no longer even has CD's, and their DVD/BluRay/4K sections are slowly getting smaller.

OPPO is getting out of the transport business, although they have other products and not going completely "out of business".

The OPPO 203 is discontinued, but it's a wonderful top 5 player by all reviews. So rather than blowing out the remaining stock, the remaining units are demanding almost double the original MSRP.

I bought one from Crutchfield ($550), then they went out of stock and found another on Amazon for the same price. Now the remaining units are going in the $1200 range....what ????

It cracks me up, electronics usually plunge with new models every few years, but the 203 is appreciating??

As I started, how often does that happen.... weird.
Boy that happend quick I just bought a 203 last month directly from Oppo for the original MSRP of $549
I am guessing the other makers are jumping up and down .

Do you remember the Lexicon scam in 2009 -10 when Lexicon took an Oppo BDP- 83 ($499 retail) and simply mfg'ed a new fancy brushed metal face plate and new back plate plate and charged $3000 for it ? ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-24-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Boy that happend quick I just bought a 203 last month directly from Oppo for the original MSRP of $549
I am guessing the other makers are jumping up and down .

Do you remember the Lexicon scam in 2009 -10 when Lexicon took an Oppo BDP- 83 ($499 retail) and simply mfg'ed a new fancy brushed metal face plate and new back plate plate and charged $3000 for it ? ...
Looks like Cambridge Audio is doing the same thing, from one British review on YouTube I recently saw, they are taking OPPO 203 "guts", putting them in a new chassis, and charging premium prices !~!~!

I think you know, it is a bit of an audiophile/videophile thing, but nothing streamed "yet" looks/sounds like a well mastered 4K HDR disc or Dolby Vision/Atmos disc through a good transport to a good 4K TV.

I had company over last night and fired up Blue Ocean II on my Sony XBR75Z9D, their jaws dropped. I'm going with them Memorial Day weekend to find "deals" on 4K televisions and add Atmos speakers.

Gave my replaced TV's, DVD players to a great family raising four kids...it's all good.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic