The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-24-2018, 03:21 PM

Default Richard Thompson ... Wow!!

Last weekend, I attended a concert in which Richard Thompson "opened" for Jason Isbell & 400 Unit.

Honestly, I found myself wishing that Jason Isbell's tour bus had gotten lost and Richard Thompson could have played all night.

What a virtuoso! He's 69 years old and he still dominates the stage as an amazing solo act. Whether he was rocking the house with "Valerie", telling his timeless story on "1952 Vincent Black Lightening", or bringing a tear to your eye with his touching tribute to Sandy Denny on "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" ... he was perfect in every regard.

I love Jason Isbell ... he's also amazing guitarist and singer/songwriter. But, I love what I'd seen of him solo acoustic on youtube videos. As a loud, electrified front man for his band ... not so much. Just not the experience I was expecting (or hoping for). My fault for not doing a little research.

You could tell a lot about the audience when fully 75-80% of them skipped the opening act and filed in as Richard Thompson was leaving. That's just nuts! But, it was a blessing! That bunch immediately got rowdy and stood for the entire 2 hours of the Isbell show. So I stood too, but my feet and legs were killing me the next day.

Anyway ... I will be on the lookout for the next time Richard Thompson tours alone.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 04-24-2018, 03:47 PM

RT is fantastic!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Though I'd been a fan for many, many years, I'd agree that the first time I saw him live (1995) was really something special. Solo he was brilliant, but when he strapped on the strat with the full band (including, if memory serves, Danny Thompson and Christine Collister) he was off the chart.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Richard Thompson is an awesome songwriter. I pull out Vincent Black Lightening whenever I need something strong to pull a crowd in.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Richard Thompson is an awesome songwriter. I pull out Vincent Black Lightening whenever I need something strong to pull a crowd in.
If that doesn't pull them in, nothing will! It's been my goal to play it someday.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:47 PM

Richard Thompson is one of the great underrated guitarists out there.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 AM

Cool

Truly one of the greats
I have seen him 8 times

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

"‎We all go Do, Re, Mi, but you've gotta find all the other notes yourself."
― Louis Armstrong
Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

RT is fabulous. In my world, Jason Isbell would have "opened" for Richard Thompson.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Yeah, Richard Thompson is pretty darn amazing. I absolutely love his cover of "Hamlet" (or is it Dog eat Dog in Denmark?)

I absolutely regret not seeing him when he was in town more frequently many, many years back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN