The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I know that one

Default Godin 5th Avenue

Godin has a pretty cool looking archtop called the 5th Avenue. Played one briefly the other evening and am interested to here if there are any owners here and impressions. Have a chance to pick one up fairly reasonable in price but need some additional info before pulling the trigger. Anybody?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 PM

I tried one out last year.Loved the looks but found the tone a little 'raspy' for my taste.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM

I'm about to purchase the double pickup cutaway version of the Godin 5th Avenue. Having played the single-pickup version acoustically, I was unimpressed by the thin sound but thought it improved a lot plugged in. So I'd recommend one of the electric versions.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Maybe this will help I found it awhile back when I was interested in one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1AENDjlD2c
Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I did just what you're contemplating -- picked up a used 5th Avenue at a great price. It's not the guitar I reach for most often, but it's a very nice instrument for the price. I like the way fingerpicked blues sound on it and, as you'd expect from an archtop, chords up and down the neck sound very cool. I wouldn't choose it as my only guitar but as an added flavor, it's well worth the modest price I paid. The build quality is very good, also.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Default I preferred mine plugged in...

I bought a 5th Avenue Kingpin off Craigslist and had it for a few months before reselling it. For plugged in jazzy stuff, I thought it was a really nice guitar (it sounded great through my tiny tube amp). Acoustically, I was not crazy about the tone. It was not nearly as loud as the old solid topped Vega archtop I had years ago, though the Godin had way better playability. Also, the build quality on the 5th Ave was excellent.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM

I played quite a few inexpensive acoustic archtops this morning while picking up some strings. If I was looking to buy, I wouldn't bother with the 5th Avenue: The Loar (can't remember the model name) that I played was miles ahead in tone and volume. Around the same price range, too.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Loar around the same price? Maybe heavily used--you can get into a single pickup kingpin for 500 bucks. I did. Loars are gonna run you a grand new, and I've heard about some QC issues (but not experienced, the loar's I've played were nice, but I don't like to fluff China's wallet)

The 5th ave. sounds like an archtop unplugged. But it's small, so it's not loud, and it's plywood, so it's not the punchiest or warmest acoustic sounding guitars--reminds me a lot of a older Gibson 125. Overall, It's an electric guitar, and the Kingpin's P90 style pickup produces all kinds of good old smoky jazz tones...I really enjoy mine, and think it's a lot cooler looking, sounding and playing than the Epiphones and Ibanez's that are it's price point competitors.

My two cents.

Hey, how about a picture of one?

actually one of the fewphotos of me i like. gotta be the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM

There are several threads here about the Godin 5th Avenue. Soundwise, the 5th Ave is about what you should expect for a medium depth plywood archtop at the price point. Being made in Canada, not overseas, is a plus.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Mr. Beaumont, THIS Loar archtop costs new around the same price of the Godin:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=423809
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
Sounds like a lot of guitar for those dollars
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 AM

And it has a solid top.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 AM

I've had a 5th Ave., and a Kingpin II. I really like them for their thin responsive tops.
Yes they are laminated but flatwound strings de-trash the clanky midrange and they play great and feel friendly for body size (16").

They remind me of Gibson L-48/50 models with a touch of Harmony vibe.

The P-90's humbuck when combined on the Kingpin II, and sound like P-90's should for jazz and blues.

I put a tune-o-matic on mine, but went back to the original Tusc bridge (upper) on the Kingpin II (the 5th Ave bridge is wood) as it sounded better for what I like in a small laminated archtop.

I like the scale length (24.84").
Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post

That's a good price.

You sound like you have some experience with these--what's the difference between these and the all-acoustic models they offer that come in around 1K? Those were the only ones I had experience with, and they didn't even have the cutaway, which usually raises the price.

In any case, when you buy an archtop, you have to decide on it's primary function. If it's going to be an acoustic guitar, the solid woods are desirable. If it's going to be used as an electric guitar, a routed or top mounted pickup like a P90 and a laminate top can actually be pretty desirable...

As much as I like the plugged in sound of my kingpin (I've done several recordings with it) It certainly is lacking as an acoustic instrument--really more a product of it's size and depth than anything. I do string mine with flatwounds and it has a pleasant, quiet tone for unplugged practicing, but IMO, it's very much an electric guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Mr. Beaumont, which brand and gauge of flatwound strings do you use ? Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops