The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Livingston, that is a great Holst you have there. Stephen is GREAT to work with. As the guitar progressed and he got a feel for it, we made MANY decisions and changes that were not discussed at the beginning, and I really like the results. In the beginning we were going for an "f" hole version like yours, but I found a couple of pics of 1920's flat back, carved top small bodied guitars with oval and round sound holes, and so we went with the oval hole. He is very flexible and open to all ideas. Mine has the K&K twin pickups mounted under the top, and that little belt mounted EQ and volume control for when I amp it up. The size of this one is the killer....VERY comfortable to play. Tucks right in there under the arm...Have fun playing yours.....

By the way, nice touch with your daughter's names on the fret board....nice touch

Last edited by blue-wily-fox; 02-06-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Will you folks just stop it already!!! Those pictures are making me nuts!!!

OK, let's see, how can I raise enough money for anyone of those beauties:

sell the car (maybe $10,000 - on a good day)
sell the house (yeah - right -- like any house is selling now!)
cash in my retirement account (another "yeah right" - the
recent turn of events ate that one for lunch)

Well, I guess that just leaves my lawn mower, snow blower, air compressor, and power washer. Oh well, so much for the home improvement projects I had planned - darn! I guess that will leave a lot more free time to play the guitar!

Seriously, each and every one of them are the "stuff dreams are made of" -- I'm happy for you all. Thanks for sharing those great pics - what beauties!
Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Here's a picture of my Gibson L-5 Wes Montgomery Custom Shop

Last edited by 815C; 02-10-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 PM

well fortunately there are still some great deals on arcthops, I think they are way under-appreciated and sometimes underpriced. you could get a killer Eastman or even a killer vintage Gibson or Epi for chump change, seriously. I have seen L-7s go for under 3K., I have seen and purchased vintage Epis for under 2k.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
well fortunately there are still some great deals on arcthops, I think they are way under-appreciated and sometimes underpriced. you could get a killer Eastman or even a killer vintage Gibson or Epi for chump change, seriously. I have seen L-7s go for under 3K., I have seen and purchased vintage Epis for under 2k.
Speaking of which, here's my little 1934 Epiphone Zenith, purchased for well under $2k:

Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 AM

gorgeous, I had an Epi Spartan, walnut, that I sold, stupid me, I need another
Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM

Archtops are an acquired taste....lol....but once you taste them....I agree with another poster on this link, I think archtops take more effort and practice to get a good sound out of them, you definitely have to play them differently than a flat top guitar, but the effort is worth it, you can play them soft, percussive, finger style, comp, every way......I encourage everyone to have one in the arsenal....
Old 02-08-2009, 11:49 AM

rscott......by the way, that 1934 Epiphone Zenith of yours looks, from the pics, that it has a small body/lower bout....what are the dimensions if you don't mind? Thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Those are all beautiful guitars folks. There is just something about the looks of an archtop that makes me want one so bad. I wish I played well enough to justify getting one. A few more hundred hours of practice and I will bite the bullet.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 02-08-2009, 02:56 PM

bshpmark......Godin makes an all laminate archtop for around five hundred. I played it and it was pretty good, gives that old-timey sound....quite loud, great sustain....hard to believe they can do it for that price....I see you have an Eastman mandolin.....I see those Eastman archtops pretty cheap on craigslist. Also I saw and played a Loar all solid wood archtop, online for under 800....easy to get started on an archtop.....
Old 02-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the cue! I was debating whether my 5th Avenue belonged in such rarified company...

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM

I like those 5th Av. Godins....the one I played actually had a P-90 pickup on it....I don't know how they do it at that price
Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
rscott......by the way, that 1934 Epiphone Zenith of yours looks, from the pics, that it has a small body/lower bout....what are the dimensions if you don't mind? Thanks

Hi Blue - it is a small body. It's 19 1/4 " long and 13 5/8" across the lower bout. Very loud for a little guitar.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM

awesome looking Epi, awesome looking Godin, keep 'em coming.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
Just sharing some pics of a guitar made for me by Stephen Holst, Luthier. Love this guitar, very unique sound with carved Euro Spruce, and ( non carved) EI Rosewood back and sides. We eventually called it "Holst Parlor Archtop" I was after that turn-of-the-century sound of those old Gibson vintage small body archtops with flat backs, and I think we nailed it.....please enjoy, and I would like to see the pics of your custom Archtops too.....

http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/models.htm

Steve is a neighbor of mine.

He does mighty fine work, eh?

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops