The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today when I arrived at the shop, I found Steve's rim/back assembly out of the mold, and the back was trimmed flush to the sides.
This precursor to a closed box is always an encouraging point, only bettered by gluing on the top:

IMG_2078.jpg

Also, to accommodate Steve's love of fragrant guitars, we picked up a little something to put inside before the top goes on:

IMG_2077.jpg

You're gonna love this, Steve!
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Hahahaha!! Now thatís a burger!!! If you have those in Nacogdoches, I need to visit!!
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've never seen one that big in Nac, but I'm sure it could be done. You DO need to visit here regardless.
Steve and I have been discussing necks, and we both like the idea of a laminated construction. Mahogany, for the main lams, usually gets first choice. Then the effort is made to tie in other elements in the guitar--in this case a center stringer of walnut. The request was made then for another accent, possibly Kiaat or Koa? You know, match some elements already present in the instrument. A search was made, and we were surprised to locate some bees-wing Narra, a cousin to Padauk, but mainly with golden hues. Steve gave the thumbs up after seeing this composition:

IMG_2076.jpg

When you count the black veneer lines separating the stringers, this is a 9-piece neck. Which means glue up must be peppy. Everything ready to hand, laid out in sequence, and phone off the hook:

IMG_2079.jpg

Outside the neck pattern two holes are drilled either end to pin everything together and prevent slippage while clamping. Here is the neck in its embrace of clamps:

IMG_2081.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Steve
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Looking good Steve, that will be a beautiful neck for sure!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop