The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 08:07 PM

As Derek suggests: FAT notes!!! I'll also add in "glassy" which we sometimes hear in descriptions and I first found in my Doerr Legacy (LS Redwood/Cocobolo). Those qualities ......combined with a deep resonant tone with sustain will do it for me.
For a time, I thought several of my guitars lacked "sparkle" in the high notes and I've also sought that out.....a ringing clarity with sustain that carries the day.
And then my McCollum arrived and I listened to how it contained multiples of the best qualities in my other guitars. As a grand Auditorium I thought the sound would be huge, but, it's less than the Doerr which really is incredibly large. But the McCollum added articulation and delicacy and this is really remarkable within a very large sound.... but no "boom" found anywhere!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-22-2021, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

I like guitars with some character that I can sing across. This A&L Legacy in the sound clip above does me just fine. I'm not a great player or singer so the guitar needs to not "steal the show". In fact my goal is to play well enough so that nobody notices (if that makes sense?). So big guitar sounds or something that's too "rich" are just not that good for me. But I hate "bland" - I do like something that has some character!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-22-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:51 AM
Guest 02022022

deleted account

Last edited by Guest 02022022; 02-02-2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post

What I’m not looking for is boxy, jangly or boomy.
Agreed. Many guitars I try have too much "twang" for my solo style. They might be perfect for cutting through an ensemble, but they don't please my ear.

Balanced, warm tone which speaks clearly at softer volumes, but can hold up to louder playing, with a clarity to the round, beautiful upper register.

Words are so inadequate for describing sound.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-22-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

There is a range of tones and characteristics in guitar tone that I like which is why I have several guitars. As a singer songwriter, I want more of a fundamental, woody tone for some songs but not too dry. I like to have more sustain for other songs and have those deep bass notes and fat trebles with a bit of scoop in the mids where my voice sits.

This may sound a bit too “California” but I also want to feel the sound in my body - maybe this is part of the responsiveness of the guitar. When I strum a guitar, whether it is a dryer sound or a lusher tone, I want to feel a balanced sound that resonates “energetically” or “vibrationally” throughout my body. In my experience, with some guitars, I only feel the sound in the upper part of my body. If a guitar is too booming, I may only feel it in my mid section. The guitars that float my boat are the ones where I strum them and I can feel the sound from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. I want a tone that satisfies my ears as well as my heart. I want to feel the emotional connection to the tone.

It is definitely one of those things that is easier to experience then to describe. All of my guitars give me this, just in different ways - especially the Wingert’s and the Kramer’s.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 AM

Thats easy, just one word - Goodall
Old 07-22-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Vintage Martin voicing with a good, solid, but not overpowering bass, and a rich upper mid and high end chime that 'hangs in the air' a bit. This is my guitar below...it is the tone I chased for years, and is everything I hoped a modern Martin would be, but isn't.

(It's a 2009 Merrill C-28 in Adi/Cocobolo)

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-22-2021, 10:23 AM

I like a guitar with a recessed upper midrange, like my Cedar topped Seagull Entourage. I like the recessed upper mids along with 80/20 strings to give a little bit of sparkle on the top end. The majority of dreads have that "martin" style sound, which I find to have more of those upper mids than I prefer, which often makes the guitar sound busy and obscures the sparkle of the high end. Having a more scooped midrange is kind of the acoustic equivalent of that "paf" sound, which is the sound that I tend to prefer in electrics.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:35 AM

Well, it depends on the repertoire I am playing but I generally do not like
too bassy (former Gibson J-100 and Taylor GS-5) or cristal clear (former
Yamaha LS-16 ARE) guitars.

For Blues and Country Blues, I want basses that remain strong with palm mute.
Ladder bracing with less sustain would help produce the original tones.

For light or pop melodies, I may need stronger mids and trebles than bass.
X bracing helps to get more sustain as fresh strings also do.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

To sum it up in a word.

Sweetness.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:10 PM

I want to hear the wood. I don't want to hear anything boxy, tinny, chimey or thumpy. I like a bit of growl now and then, and projection is important for the parts of the song that need to pop. I prefer a balance between sustain and decay, as well as a scooped tone so that my voice isn't overwhelmed by the guitar's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion