The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-29-2023, 10:36 PM

Default Do you still practice guitar?

I think I've reached the end of my acoustic guitar practice/learning phase because I'm now able to play all the chrod progressions and melodies (and even chord melodies) in my music books (books that looked almost impossible when I first started).

There's nothing else I want to play beside songs in these books (and other similar easy-guitar books); so I don't see any point to continued practicing and learning on the acoustic guitar.

I've reached this stage on the uke a few years ago; and I'm happily playing the uke almost everyday. I now feel similar for the acoustic guitar; and would be happy to just maintain my current skills forever.

Kind of like driving a car; once I've reached a certain level of competence that gets me from point A or point B legally ans safely, I'm good (it's not like I'm going to race on a racetrack). I may get more fluid with my guitar playing those basic songs over the years, but no need for more technical skills.

Anybody else in this situation?
Old 05-29-2023, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

I have always been about playing songs or pieces. Learning to play these were my practice.

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2023, 11:12 PM

If you're happy, that's great. If you find yourself getting bored you can always learn new songs, new styles or genres of music, learn to sing, learn other instruments...
Old 05-30-2023, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

Jack, I practice because I have tangible outcomes (with consequences) to achieve, like preparing for the next performance or session.

Also I will hear new songs when I listen to the radio or Spotify that I want to perform. Musical growth is continous, ever changing and life long. But the key is to have clarity of outcome, and passion.

All my playing is practicing, even when performing for an audience I will review how it went and what can be improved upon.

So, yes, I do still practice guitar even though it is 50 years since I first picked one up, because there's so much more to learn.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-30-2023, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I think I've reached the end of my acoustic guitar practice/learning phase because I'm now able to play all the chrod progressions and melodies (and even chord melodies) in my music books (books that looked almost impossible when I first started).

There's nothing else I want to play beside songs in these books (and other similar easy-guitar books); so I don't see any point to continued practicing and learning on the acoustic guitar.

I've reached this stage on the uke a few years ago; and I'm happily playing the uke almost everyday. I now feel similar for the acoustic guitar; and would be happy to just maintain my current skills forever.

Kind of like driving a car; once I've reached a certain level of competence that gets me from point A or point B legally ans safely, I'm good (it's not like I'm going to race on a racetrack). I may get more fluid with my guitar playing those basic songs over the years, but no need for more technical skills.

I've been driving for 50 years (same amount of time I've been playing guitar) and I still try and improve my techniques every time I get behind the wheel. Pretty much the same as each time I pick up the guitar. Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:08 AM

I don't practice techniques on the guitar, but I do often learn and practice new songs, and occasionally write one. My goal is recording or playing at an open mic (or other kinds of events on occasion).

D.H.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:13 AM

To me, the beauty of learning guitar is that there is always something more to learn - songs, genres, styles, techniques.

Our brains are wired to reward learning new things.
Old 05-30-2023, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Generally my practice comes from learning tunes, some of which are etudes which are meant as practice. I should do some exercises a couple of times a week too.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-30-2023, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Jack, I practice because I have tangible outcomes (with consequences) to achieve, like preparing for the next performance or session.

Also I will hear new songs when I listen to the radio or Spotify that I want to perform. Musical growth is continous, ever changing and life long. But the key is to have clarity of outcome, and passion.

All my playing is practicing, even when performing for an audience I will review how it went and what can be improved upon.

So, yes, I do still practice guitar even though it is 50 years since I first picked one up, because there's so much more to learn.
This is how I view playing and, since I haven't performed since high school, pretty much all I do is practice.

But if you (the OP) are referring to exercises, scales, etc., I don't do those much anymore, but probably should. I do like learning new songs, although I'll go through phases where I will just play songs I know over and over (i.e., practice for me). My current challenge is to figure out how to play some of Carl Miner's TNAG demo pieces at 3/4 speed...
Old 05-30-2023, 05:25 AM

I wouldn't say I've reached the end of any particular phase, that sounds a little to final for me (and I'm not particularly good at predicting the future). But I rarely practice lately. I'm not sure we all agree on what that term means, but I consider practice repeating any less than excellent passages very slowly ad nauseam with slowly increasing tempos, learning the nuances of new styles, etc.

I'm mostly playing songs now. I do not consider trying to play the songs well as practice. If you're having trouble with parts of the song you might consider it practice, but that's a slow way to get where you're going. I suppose if you're playing the song better with each repetition that's practicing.

I rarely practice any of my instruments at this point. I play the trumpet every day, but I go through my pile of music books and play something once, then maybe not for another 2 months. It's hard to consider that practice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-30-2023, 06:31 AM

Nope, I practice every day. Theres always something new.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-30-2023, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, you have learned what is in the box. Are you interested in what is to be learned outside of the box?

I have been working on performing the songs I know. Rather than playing them, going through them or rendering them. It's a big step in making music instead of sounds.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-30-2023, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I get what you are saying. I think that I have felt that way. But do you play your guitar with anyone or just entertain yourself with it? I used to take lessons and between them I was practicing, trying to nail it before the next one. It was all pretty structured and focused. There came a point when I felt happy where I was at and quit the lessons. Just played my guitar and sang songs.

But then I got in with a group of country/bluegrass musicians, fiddle players, banjo players, mandolin, dobro and guitars. So every weekend we are jamming for hours on end and players are doing some really remarkable playing. And they like to share what they are doing. So every week I come home with something new to work on. But there isn't that urgency that there was with lessons, I'm just learning new things and putting more tools in the toolbox. So in that sense I am still practicing.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 05-30-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I've reached this stage on the uke a few years ago; and I'm happily playing the uke almost everyday. I now feel similar for the acoustic guitar; and would be happy to just maintain my current skills forever.

Hi JackC1…
Not exactly. I grew up in a classical music environment which involved, note reading, sight reading, rehearsals, lessons (where the exercises were doled out and graded) and performances.

I taught myself guitar in a similar fashion:
Scales, etudes, chord formation and inversions, melody, harmony etc.

I'm 74˝ yrs old and involved in a modern church environment where we do modern worship music, and I'm playing either electric lead and backing guitar or synths.

I still have to practice to just keep up with the arrangements, solos, rhythms, and instrumentations required by our worship leader and we often use popular and well-established songs which have highly recognizable solo parts.

The lead parts (on electric) and the orchestral lines (synth) are neither written out nor published. We are expected to dig them out on our own, and translate them to the keys the worship leader chooses for the weeks we are on the team.

Hence I have homework every time I'm on the team (2-3 times a month).

In my case (and those of others playing on our team), reaching that 'level of competence' you mentioned is just the price of admission, and going from point A to point B requires me to practice and grow.

I quite enjoy it…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-30-2023, 07:21 AM
Guest 61722

To answer the question, yes. Obsessively. Playing is practice. Practice is playing. To me, it's all the same. There's only practice. Everything is practice. I'm not "practicing" for anything specific, like to acquire a certain skill or prepare for a performance. But I'm always practicing. If it's not playing, then it's singing. If not singing or playing, then memorizing lyrics or chord progressions. I'm always working on something.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write