The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2023, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Electric easier than acoustic?

Since this is a sub-forum on an Acoustic guitar web page...I'm reckoning that most here play both acoustic and electric.

Have most of you found that electric is easier or more difficult to play effectively than the acoustic...or the other way around?

I've dinged around with an electric guitar from time to time...but now that it looks like my left hand won't get much better (nerve damage from auto accident), I've pretty much put down my acoustic and am considering picking up the electric full-time...if it's going to be easier for my hand to chord & play in general vs. an acoustic.

What say you?
Old 05-16-2023, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
Since this is a sub-forum on an Acoustic guitar web page...I'm reckoning that most here play both acoustic and electric.

Have most of you found that electric is easier or more difficult to play effectively than the acoustic...or the other way around?

I've dinged around with an electric guitar from time to time...but now that it looks like my left hand won't get much better (nerve damage from auto accident), I've pretty much put down my acoustic and am considering picking up the electric full-time...if it's going to be easier for my hand to chord & play in general vs. an acoustic.

What say you?
Physically a bit easier, just because of typically lighter string gauges. But in terms of getting good (or NOT that good, but whatever level we’re able to reach) on the instrument, not easier or harder. Very different sounding and playing instruments that need to be approached differently for greatest effect. The same basic user interface, which makes it nice to be able to play both, but if you approach an electric like an acoustic, it’s not gonna sound very good, and the same is true in reverse as well…

-Ray
Old 05-16-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Physically a bit easier, just because of typically lighter string gauges. But in terms of getting good (or NOT that good, but whatever level we’re able to reach) on the instrument, not easier or harder. Very different sounding and playing instruments that need to be approached differently for greatest effect. The same basic user interface, which makes it nice to be able to play both, but if you approach an electric like an acoustic, it’s not gonna sound very good, and the same is true in reverse as well…

-Ray
I completely agree with this!
Old 05-16-2023, 11:36 AM

Comparing electric to acoustic guitar: different things are easier or harder for different players. This leads to a classic Your Mileage May Vary situation,

One can generalize based on what you think the median situation is. Most electrics have lighter strings and therefore tend to be easier to fret and easier to bend string for vibrato. Of course there's no absolute law on string gauge and tension, there's overlap.

One can get very loud and projecting tones from an electric guitar with gentle picking. On acoustic guitar some kinds of projection and volume require vigorous picking.

I think a fair number of acoustic players here report that the need to concern oneself with amp settings & possibly effects makes then unattracted to electric guitar. Summarizing: " I pick up my acoustic guitar and play. It sounds good, why would I want to struggle becoming a sound engineer too."

As Ray points out upthread, players, even players who play both, often play each type of instrument differently with different goals and techniques. This isn't a hard-and-fast requirement, but an observation of common situations.

With my old finger joints there are days when I can play electric lead and partial chord guitar but cannot play acoustic with some of the fuller chord voicings I use there. But that's me.

If you want to know for yourself, play both and discover how you use them as you explore their possibilities.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-16-2023, 12:22 PM

Yes, electric guitar is physically easier to play on average than acoustic. A lot less energy is required to fret and strike the note.

If you play with a flat pick, the differences may be smaller. Fingerpicking (at least to me) feels VERY different on electric vs. acoustic, which can make transitioning 'feel' more difficult.

Ray nailed it earlier - acoustic and electric each have different strengths and subsequent approaches - they aren't drop-in replacements for each other.

For the OP purpose of continuing to play guitar while managing hand damage, this can be effective. Just be aware that not everything you play on acoustic will translate cleanly to electric.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-16-2023, 12:26 PM

I think Ray has pretty much covered what you need to think about

The electric will be easier on your hands. No doubt about that.

Which one is the right one? you'll need to shop around which ought to be at least half the fun.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-16-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Physically a bit easier, just because of typically lighter string gauges.
Yep. One usually puts 10s on an electric and 12s on an acoustic. 15 or so years ago, my thinking was similar to TDavis's: "if [an electric is] going to be easier for my hand to chord & play in general vs. an acoustic...." So my first acquisition (still got it) was this ES335-type:

Which was fine. But I got over it, and maybe TDavis will, too. Maybe put 11s on that acoustic. Just depends on what you get used to.....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-16-2023, 01:01 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Acoustic is physically a little less punishing but electric has lots of techniques to master if you are going to play it well and aren't simply going to play acoustic style on electric. I'd say they are equal but different.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-16-2023, 03:10 PM

I think electrics are definitely much easier to play vs acoustics if you just play them like acoustics. For example, my Martin D-18 has 13-56 strings and 2mm action on the low-E; my Fender Am Ultra Strat has 9-42 strings and 1.25mm action. The Fender is way easier to form chords and barres (since you are mentioning your weak left hand).

When I first started playing, I was using the electric guitar as an easier-to-play acoustic substitute. I play acoustic guitar music on it (mainly strums to accompany my singing). It was very easy to play, but I just couldn't get that acoustic sound (and feel, I love how the acoustic guitar vibrates against my body) satisfaction out of it.

If you've never tried an electric, you should play a well-setup one. A poorly setup electric can be just as hard (or even harder) to play as an acoustic.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:32 PM

Is an electric easier to play?

It depends on the guitar, the strings, the setup, etc. Most electric players tend to use lighter gauge strings, so that could be a factor in making it easer. Some electric guitars have thinner necks, so if you have "fat" fingers, that could make it more difficult. The neck width on my Gretsch is pretty much like an acoustic guitar, and I use flat-would 12's on both my Gretsch and my Martin acoustic, so for me there is very little difference.

Can you play an electric like an acoustic?

Again, it depends. My playing technique is similar on both. Through the judicious use of a few pedals and a good tube amp, I have been able to dial in the exact sound I want. I have some songs that I like better on the acoustic and others I like better on the electric. My technique is pretty much the same on both, except that I occasionally use the Bigsby vibrato bar on the Gretsch.

Your mileage may vary!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-16-2023, 06:52 PM

I'm beginning to say this so often that I should make it my signature line: I play electric guitar music on an acoustic guitar.

In fact, I attack the strings when I play, which means when I switch to an electric, the lighter gauge results in a lot of unintended bending. I'm switching to heavier gauge strings as a result.

Incidentally, Hendrix was known to put 12's on his. And then tune down either a half or whole step to get the bends he wanted. Robin Trower does the same thing.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:00 AM

I have a Squier Strat and a Tele. The necks are narrower and thinner than my acoustics and of course the lighter string gauge makes a huge difference.
I use 9-42’s on both. There is no comparison between the ease of play…the electrics are a cakewalk. Everything is easier.
As I have gotten older, I have found that the amount of pressure needed to fret a note on my acoustics is far less than what I used to do though.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-17-2023, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

What I find in particular is bar chords take a bit less pressure to be clean on an electric. If that answers the OP's question.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-17-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:

What say you?
I primarily play acoustic, but "electric guitar" occasionally.

Your nerve damage may improve over time, but if playing guitar is important to you then you should find something that is very comfortable to hold, sounds good (both unplugged and amplified) and plays like an electric guitar.

You might consider a Fender Acoustisonic Player series. Here's the Jazzmaster, but also available as Strat or Tele-style instruments. This is the lower priced player series, but they are very nice instruments and will retain much of their value should you decide to sell later on.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:

Ah, now I got your question. Yes, a well-set-up electric is easier on the hands than a well-set-up acoustic. I ran into a reaction to statin drugs once and ended up marooned on one signle guitar, my ES-335. I string my electrics with .009 strings and this guitar was fitted with .056 jumbo frets from the factory. I don't know if you are aware, but jumbo frets force you to play with less fretting pressure. If you fret with a lot of pressure you pull the string sharp. It is a blessing when there is pain involved.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars