The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-12-2023, 01:50 PM

Default Online Bass Lessons

Hi all

When I first started learning guitar I quickly gravitated to the JustinGuitar website and worked through his Basic and Intermediate courses to get a good grounding.

I've just bought an Ibanez Mikro bass, just for the fun of it (and I love the sound of a well played bass) and was wondering if anyone knew of an equivalent to Justin for bassists?

Ta!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 05-12-2023, 05:32 PM

Take a look at THIS GUY.

Couch Standards
Old 05-17-2023, 05:50 AM

Scott is a good place to start, but finding people you can play with is vital, the sooner the better. Bass is the mortar holding the musical bricks, and thus, the wall, together. I have mentored bass players who gained high function of the mechanics of the instrument practicing alone, and invariably the first thing needs be done is to help them break the habits of too fast, too fussy, too busy.

But, that said, you are standing at the threshold of a wonderful world! Welcome! And as much as I truly enjoy banjo, guitar, and mandolin, bass is the most fun of all.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
Hi all

When I first started learning guitar I quickly gravitated to the JustinGuitar website and worked through his Basic and Intermediate courses to get a good grounding.

I've just bought an Ibanez Mikro bass, just for the fun of it (and I love the sound of a well played bass) and was wondering if anyone knew of an equivalent to Justin for bassists?

Ta!
Hello, first post here.

I’m the complete inverse of you. I’m a bassist trying to work on my acoustic guitar chops and have been looking for online tutorials outside of youtube. Good to know about Justinguitar.

Concerning bass studies, I have used talkingbass.net. I absolutely love Marc’s tutorials. I highly recommend his Technique Builder course, even if you study elsewhere.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
Scott is a good place to start, but finding people you can play with is vital, the sooner the better. Bass is the mortar holding the musical bricks, and thus, the wall, together. I have mentored bass players who gained high function of the mechanics of the instrument practicing alone, and invariably the first thing needs be done is to help them break the habits of too fast, too fussy, too busy.
When I was 18 and playing bass full time in a very working band, they sat me down with this record and gave me an hour to figure out why the record was great and I stunk. Or they'd leave me by the side of the road in Lewiston, Maine, where we happened to be at the time. Good intervention.

Couch Standards
Old 05-18-2023, 12:57 PM

Now that's groooovy baby! There is no mistaking that groove, from 3 ft. away, or 300 feet away, and that is what it's all about.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:19 PM

Thanks folks, I'll have a look at the suggestions!

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 06-02-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
I always worry that I'm too slow, too simple, too boring because I can't play elaborate patterns or sizzling runs. I started playing bass because I wanted to play 6 string at my church and they didn't really need another 6 string player. So they asked me if I would learn bass. No lessons, no direction, basically sink or swim. That was about 3 years ago, and I still play bass but at a different church. Maybe my simplicity isn't such a bad thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write