The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-11-2023, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Play 'live' with others online

I keep getting ads while surfing for online services where two or multiple players can play live together. Does anyone have any idea how they pull this off with no/limited delay, lag, latency, whatever it's called? Have you used one, do you like it?
Old 05-11-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I keep getting ads while surfing for online services where two or multiple players can play live together. Does anyone have any idea how they pull this off with no/limited delay, lag, latency, whatever it's called? Have you used one, do you like it?
Short answer: they don't/can't. There are products that can eliminate latency at both ends, but nobody has control over what happens in between, as the network packets get bounced from server to server.

If you happen to have a fast internet connection and are physically close to your partner(s) (shorter distance/fewer switch points) it might work okay. But none of these services can help if you are trying to send the packets halfway across the world.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I play a Wednesday evening jam every once in a while on zoom. Someone leads the song, everyone else mutes then plays and sings along. If someone want to take turns on verses or take a break between, the ones not singing either mute until it gets close to their turn or play and sing real quiet until their turn. If you are taking a verse or a break it is always good to just mute as soon as you're done. Between songs everyone unmutes and chats each other up. I know that it sounds cumbersome, but it really goes smoothly once you get the hang of it. It is a lot like playing to a live backing track.

We were just a local jam doing them during covid and we ended with people from everywhere. So the guy who was ringleader just kept it up. He has it down to a science.I think it is fun. It is what it is. The one nice thing, if you miss chords no one hears them unless you are leading the song. It is a good way to play along with others in a no pressure environment. If you are looking for an all out competitive bluegrass jam, they are pretty tame. I play both and appreciate each on its own merits.

It is the DesMoines Ukulele Strummers, DMUS. They don't restrict anyone to ukulele though, you can play guitar or fiddle, or whatever you want. It is just put on by DMUS. Probably the biggest thing to remember is just don't forget to mute if you aren't leading.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 05-11-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:58 AM

I do a song run through each week with the hymn leaders at church on zoom. We are, of course, local and it works well enough for that, but I doubt I could get much satisfaction from actually trying to jam that way.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I play a Wednesday evening jam every once in a while on zoom. Someone leads the song, everyone else mutes then plays and sings along. If someone want to take turns on verses or take a break between, the ones not singing either mute until it gets close to their turn or play and sing real quiet until their turn. If you are taking a verse or a break it is always good to just mute as soon as you're done. Between songs everyone unmutes and chats each other up. I know that it sounds cumbersome, but it really goes smoothly once you get the hang of it. It is a lot like playing to a live backing track.

We were just a local jam doing them during covid and we ended with people from everywhere. So the guy who was ringleader just kept it up. He has it down to a science.I think it is fun. It is what it is. The one nice thing, if you miss chords no one hears them unless you are leading the song. It is a good way to play along with others in a no pressure environment. If you are looking for an all out competitive bluegrass jam, they are pretty tame. I play both and appreciate each on its own merits.

It is the DesMoines Ukulele Strummers, DMUS. They don't restrict anyone to ukulele though, you can play guitar or fiddle, or whatever you want. It is just put on by DMUS. Probably the biggest thing to remember is just don't forget to mute if you aren't leading.
This. I run a weekly zoom jam on meetup. https://www.meetup.com/Jax-Acoustic/ I also sometimes join the Portland Maine group. All of the above caveats are correct. Lately also have to be careful of ZOOM "bombers", folks who like to cause trouble. For this reason I use the ZOOM "waiting room" to screen.

Lee
Old 05-18-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoslim View Post
This. I run a weekly zoom jam on meetup. https://www.meetup.com/Jax-Acoustic/ I also sometimes join the Portland Maine group. All of the above caveats are correct. Lately also have to be careful of ZOOM "bombers", folks who like to cause trouble. For this reason I use the ZOOM "waiting room" to screen.

Lee
I joined in on the South Portland Meetup https://www.meetup.com/south-portlan...guitar-meetup/ this evening and it was fun. I plan on doing it again as often as I can. It's funny that I'm in California and the organizers are in Maine. That's cool. As stated before when someone leads everyone else is muted so as not to cause sound issues. I guess this makes it more a performance venue than a group jam, since only one at a time can play. But, that's fine because it creates a chance for me to get feedback on my playing and to get over any nerves I may have prior to performing. I really appreciate an avenue like this, because it's difficult for me to get out and do this live.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write