The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 08:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Old 02-19-2023, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Looks a lot like the mahog/adi you used in the mini-D from 2010 - a fantastic guitar, as I expect this one will be -
Old 02-20-2023, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have decided to admit defeat in my efforts to retire, and have revised my price list and my business approach (attitude) to reflect the fact.
You’re like the Tom Brady of lutherie.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I have decided to admit defeat in my efforts to retire, and have revised my price list and my business approach (attitude) to reflect the fact.
Bruce, your defeat is a win for anybody in need of an exceptional guitar.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach4guitar View Post
Bruce, your defeat is a win for anybody in need of an exceptional guitar.
I remember receiving a note from you when you acquired the P-Dread, but I failed to get your name onto TheList. I hope you will email your name to me so that I can correct my oversight.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I closed the FT-14.5 Kerala Adi/Hmah. Here is some evidence:

Old 02-24-2023, 12:09 AM

Bruce - I'm very excited about this development, and my wife is very nervous. It'll be a race between you actually retiring, and me earning enough good graces (and $) to commission a guitar some day. Still fantasize about that olive wood...

Quote:
Today I closed the FT-14.5 Kerala Adi/Hmah. Here is some evidence:
I've gotta ask - what's the inspiration for the giraffe print side reinforcement?
Old 02-24-2023, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

The pattern is merely aesthetic (you knew that, I hope) and although I no longer have the exact pattern the customer requested, this one was close enough. Giraffe bone is said to be the hardest and strongest available bone, so surely this pattern should do its job .
Old 02-25-2023, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Got to grab some dinner w/Bruce, and before we left managed to video a bit of his process in routing the binding ledges - but as we were leaving, I got these -

Old 02-25-2023, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Old 02-25-2023, 08:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday I attended the memorial for my friend and double bassist of choice Larry Mersereau, who passed 6 weeks ago at 86. We were a trio with Eric Schoenberg for 3 years, and then members of Chuck Laveroni's Swing Society for 6 years, and then Larry and I played in a variety of situations ever since. He became unable to pick his instrument up several years ago, so the end was hardly a surprise. The memorial had something around 350 attendees! The band was put together by Larry's Son in Law, Narada Michael Walden, the percussionist in the picture below. Google Narada if you haven't heard of him. The guitarist is Jose Neto, and the Bassist is Gary Brown. They are entirely google-able as well. I know Gary fairly well as I sold him the bass he is playing about 15 years ago and have maintained it regularly ever since. The vocalist was one of 5 who performed, and she is fantastic; they all were! Sadly, I have no idea who the keyboard guy is, perhaps you do. The music was brilliant, but it is a cafeteria, so the sound could have been better.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

The adi/Hmah 00 & a half is bound, and needs only the dovetail cavity and the graft before I move on to the neck. It seem quite light, even for me.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yesterday I attended the memorial for my friend and double bassist of choice Larry Mersereau, who passed 6 weeks ago at 86. We were a trio with Eric Schoenberg for 3 years, and then members of Chuck Laveroni's Swing Society for 6 years, and then Larry and I played in a variety of situations ever since. He became unable to pick his instrument up several years ago, so the end was hardly a surprise. The memorial had something around 350 attendees! The band was put together by Larry's Son in Law, Narada Michael Walden, the percussionist in the picture below. Google Narada if you haven't heard of him. The guitarist is Jose Neto, and the Bassist is Gary Brown. They are entirely google-able as well. I know Gary fairly well as I sold him the bass he is playing about 15 years ago and have maintained it regularly ever since. The vocalist was one of 5 who performed, and she is fantastic; they all were! Sadly, I have no idea who the keyboard guy is, perhaps you do. The music was brilliant, but it is a cafeteria, so the sound could have been better.

I recognized the white Paradis nylon string electric Jose Neto is playing. I had the pleasure of catching him on tour in Steve Winwood's band a few years ago.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

I thought some of you might be interested in the more technical side of what I do. All of these pictures are neck carving process, and happened in about a 2 1/2 hour window. Mostly, they are my system for carving the Martin style "Volute", which creates the illusion of a Bridal joint, but is merely sculpture.

This is how I undercut the cheeks on the dovetail to the body to make fitting easier.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

"Double 0 and half" went to finish this afternoon, and here is the first coat of Varnish:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop