The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2022, 09:36 AM

Default Which acoustic 12 strings play close to a vintage Rickenbacker?

I got lucky on this forum a few years ago when I was looking for suggestions on an acoustic 6 string, so I am asking for some guidance again:

I got on a serious Byrds kick last year and bought a facsimile of a vintage Rickenbacker 360 12 string, and I have loved it so far. It is a lot easier to play than my friend's more recent model Rickenbacker 360 12.

I'm starting to go to acoustic jams a lot more, and my 6 string Taylor DCSM has performed exceptionally, but I'd like to get an acoustic 12 string to play at the jams as well.

I'd love to read about some of your experiences with, and suggestions for, a full-sounding 12 string with a comfortable neck shape and string spacing that might be close to that of the vintage Rickenbacker? I should add that I prefer something dreadnaught shaped (not a big fan of jumbos) and possibly with a cutaway. I am partial to buying used, and my price range will be similar to that of what I spent on my Taylor Dan Crary 6 string (1500-2000$). I'm open to suggestions outside of that range as well.

Thank you!
Old 04-18-2022, 10:30 AM

Are you looking for the narrow nut width like in the Ric? If so, I’m not aware of any other guitar that feels similar, acoustic or electric.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:32 AM

No expert in Rick's here but IME, Rickenbacker string / nut spacing is pretty unique among most 12 string electrics and a lot of people (myself included) have a real hard time getting comfortable with that setup.

I'm not sure you will be able to find anything really close for the same with an acoustic 12 string, they're going to have wider necks, maybe but I'd think, maybe not.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-18-2022, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

If I recall correctly, Rick 12's are strung in reverse of other 12 strings with the lower octave to the bass side of the neck instead of to the treble side. This will contribute to a different sound and feel than your typical 12 string.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I think any acoustic 12-string would work for you. If you like Taylor 12-strings, they are certainly a good choice. I think the 12-fret, Taylor 562CE is an excellent choice and can be purchased used for about $1800-2200. Here is what's on Reverb right now.

Here is a list of new Taylor 12-strings at Sweetwater Sound, for example.

However, the Rickenbacker electric 360-12 guitar has the main string on the top side of each pair of strings and the octave (high) string on the lower side of the pair. Acoustic 12-strings, including Taylors, generally have the high octave string on the top side of each pair of strings. I prefer this arrangement, but some folks like the lower-pitched string on the top side in the Rickenbacker approach. If this is what you want, you can take your new 12-string to a capable guitar technician and have him make you a new nut to reverse the string positions to the Rickenbacker approach.

- Glenn

PS: If you are interested, I put together a video of Dylan's "My Back Pages" as done by the Byrds some time back where I used a Guild acoustic 12-string for the main rhythm and an electric Rickenbacker 360-12 for the solo part. This video allows you to hear the difference in sound between the guitars so you can decide what you like. Here is the video:

Old 04-18-2022, 10:49 AM

The closet thing you'll get is probably gonna be a danelectro 12 string. They're actually very nice. They won't replace a Rick but they'll play similar and sorta sound like it. Acoustic ones will never play or sound like a rickenbacker as others have mentioned the strings are reversed
Old 04-18-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Of course you can get a custom nut made for any acoustic 12er that is made for stringing in the reverse (to usual) fashion.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 04-18-2022, 11:29 AM

I haveva 360-12 and a Cort Dreadnought 12. Interesting difference. Try some out.
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 04-18-2022, 11:43 AM

I'm no Ric expert, but when I think of Ric neck profiles, I think thin. Is that what you're after? I had a Seagull C12 that had a fairly slim neck. You might also check out Ovations.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:50 AM

My first concert was the Byrds in 1965. Might have been early enough that it was before McGuinn's first Ric was stolen.

I do know that at one time McGuinn played an acoustic Regal 12 string. Story goes that he left it with Hoyt Axton in lieu of rent or something with Hoyt going on to sell it. It did pop up somewhere as did that first Ric.

As somebody has noted though the Ric may be the only factory guitar to go with reverse stringing which gives the guitar its own sound. Makes sense if you assume most folks play downstrokes.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:21 PM

Rickenbacker put out the 730L and 730S acoustic 12 strings up until about 10 years ago. The used prices on these are high so probably out of the budget. I would check out a Guild. They are known for their jumbos but they do make a not too expensive dreadnought 12 string.

1966 Rickenbacker 360-12
1981 Rickenbacker 320
1981 Fender The Strat
1981 Fender Stratocaster
1968 Messenger

Last edited by Ryan51; 04-18-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcochran4 View Post
...a full-sounding 12 string with a comfortable neck shape and string spacing that might be close to that of the vintage Rickenbacker...dreadnaught shaped (not a big fan of jumbos)...my price range will be similar to that of what I spent on my Taylor Dan Crary 6 string ($1500-2000). I'm open to suggestions outside of that range as well...!
With those specs you'll likely need to have something custom-made to order - these get excellent reviews, and the final price should come in a couple hundred or so above your top figure:

http://www.halcyonguitars.com/
Old 04-18-2022, 04:18 PM

For many years I owned and played a '66 Ricky 360-12 in Fireglo. It was a fabulous guitar.

Then, a couple months ago, Gryphon had a Ricky 370-12 Roger McGuinn Signature guitar hit their consignment rack. I have never played any 12 string that could match this one for ease of play. The neck fit my hand perfectly, intonation was perfect, and tone was exceptional.

However...

I was not a fan of the Middle pickup. It was unnecessary and got in the way of my flatpick. Also, the onboard compressor had some complications of its own to make the guitar sound how you wanted it to.

SO... I passed on it and it quickly sold to someone else. I was a fool and should have bought it.

But I do have an incredible 1971 Guild F-312NT in my stash and it's the best sounding/easiest playing acoustic 12 I've ever had in my hands. But still, I should have bought the McGuinn.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Wink

If you have an open mind, There are two VERY nice Taylor 12 strings for sale here on the forum. One a 555 jumbo ( mahogany spruce) non cutaway and the other a 750 dread ( rosewood spruce) non cutaway. both older instruments but in very nice original condition.
And both priced very reasonably. As for being non cutaways don’t let that detour you, as most of the time you’re not going for fast leads way up the neck. Let your Ricky electric do that as GlennWillow demonstrated… Also keep in mind Taylor cut it’s teeth on their 12 strings with Leo Kottke and Neil Young among others singing their praises..
If you don’t like the string arrangement as others have mentioned you could change the nut,
but I would leave it to give a nice variation to your electric..especially if your recording and using both of them.. acoustic and electric…If I didn’t have my ‘82 855c I’d be on those for sale..
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices

Last edited by 1after909; 04-18-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:39 PM

Second the Ovation suggestion. I've heard good things about Ovation acoustic 12 strings over the years.

If I was looking for a 12 I'd be curious to see how the roundback works with that and Ovation US made stuff was pretty good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, rickenbacker, roger mcguinn, twelve string