The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-26-2023, 01:16 PM

What a killer idea! And brilliant marketing from a guy who makes beautiful guitars. Maybe this will catch on with other builders. Lovely
Old 06-12-2023, 12:27 PM

Hi! I have been a 'lurker' on the AGF for many years but this is my first post. I have had the pleasure of playing Simon's latest road trip guitar for the last couple of weeks and sadly shipped it to the next person on the list this morning. I was also a participant in his first road trip 12 or so years ago. When Simon decided to sell the first guitar, I suppose I was lucky and was one of the first people to see the listing and jumped at the chance. It has been my main steel string since (I also play a lot of nylon). I was naturally very curious to see how far Simon's craft has developed and it's been a lot of fun switching back and forth the last few weeks . First I would say that my guitar is impeccably built. I have no complaints but having the two side by side, I can certainly see little details that show off his woodworking skills. Sonically much the same. When I go to a guitar store and play some really nice guitars, I'm always thinking this is nice, but not as nice as what I have at home. This new guitar is a better guitar. There are still things about my guitar that I like better, likely from 12 years of familiarity, but this one has a certain clarity about it. It's hard to describe but I can hear it. It is also a dream to play. Simon's set up skills are top notch. It was also my first experience with Alessi tuners. I am now spoiled. Thank you Simon (and also Calton Case).
Old 06-14-2023, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

[SIZE="1"]I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this new build from Simon. I was lucky enough to buy one of Simon’s early prototypes (#6) back in 2006. It is an OM with a Port Orford Cedar top and Honduran Mahogany B&S. I used it to record a couple of tunes, one ended up on my first album and one on the second. I stupidly thought I couldn’t handle larger nut sizes back then and ended up selling that little gem. Then, about a year ago, after eventually converting to larger-sized nuts and spacing on all my guitars, I felt something was missing from my guitar choices and I began looking for a new guitar. I realized that what was missing was the sound of that early prototype. With a little effort, I was able to track it down and reacquire the guitar. It is home for good now. I am anxious to compare the new build with this very early design of Simon’s. Lots will be different, for instance, mine has a pinless bridge. Here is a link to a video I recently made of a tune I recorded with it back in 2006.

Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 06-15-2023, 05:51 AM

Thanks for posting that James. I really enjoyed listening. I too can't wait to play the Roadtrip Guitar!
Old 06-15-2023, 03:23 PM

Beautiful melody, James !!! I like the video too ... very peaceful and a nice complement to your song.

I got the roadtrip idea from a builder on this forum but it was so long ago, I can't recall who it was. But I remember thinking it was a great way for folks to really give a guitar a proper demo. I've played guitars before that left an impression and later tried the same guitar and realized it was not as I remembered. The value of the roadtrip, IMO, is that people get to play the instrument in their home and do A/B comparisons with their own guitars.

The next stop is a month or so in the northeast and then some time in the Great Lakes region. If anybody is on the fence about participating, there is still time to be added to the list.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
I got the roadtrip idea from a builder on this forum but it was so long ago, I can't recall who it was. But I remember thinking it was a great way for folks to really give a guitar a proper demo. I've played guitars before that left an impression and later tried the same guitar and realized it was not as I remembered. The value of the roadtrip, IMO, is that people get to play the instrument in their home and do A/B comparisons with their own guitars.
I participated in three roadtrip guitar forum events. First one was put on by Paul Woolson Guitars back in 2006.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-15-2023, 08:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
What a killer idea! And brilliant marketing from a guy who makes beautiful guitars. Maybe this will catch on with other builders. Lovely
I think John Greven was the first one to start road trip guitars. I consider John as my first mentor and he encouraged me to take the plunge and send one of my guitars out on the road trip route. This was 25+ years ago back in the days of the 13th Fret forum that some of you may remember? I also had a couple more road trip guitars here as well. It taught me a lot and I received some really great and honest feedback that helped me grow as a builder. Glad to see Simon doing the same.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:47 PM

Paul Woolson ... that's who it was. Tim, I didn't realize you did one way back then as well.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I think John Greven was the first one to start road trip guitars. I consider John as my first mentor and he encouraged me to take the plunge and send one of my guitars out on the road trip route. This was 25+ years ago back in the days of the 13th Fret forum that some of you may remember? I also had a couple more road trip guitars here as well. It taught me a lot and I received some really great and honest feedback that helped me grow as a builder. Glad to see Simon doing the same.
Tim,
I have fond memories of playing “The Diamond” on its road-trip.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
Old 08-20-2023, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Any more imput from the forum members who participated in the recent Simon Fay Roadtrip Guitar event.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-21-2023, 08:59 PM

It is long way from over. I will see it in a week or so.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:12 PM

Apologies for not posting sooner. I had the guitar for about 5 days a number of weeks back. What a pleasure. Absolutely wonderful instrument. A joy to play and an incredibly beautiful instrument. Just rang out. In no way a quiet guitar. Probably as responsive as any I have played. I play with a pick and think May would see this guitar as a fingerstyle guitar, but it sure was nice to pick O’Carolan and similar on this guitar. Friends who play so much better than I dream of playing were really impressed and told me they thought it would be a great guitar for recording. Will be interested to hear what others on the tour think.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Jeff,
Thanks for posting your thoughts. I am looking forward to its arrival.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
Old 09-07-2023, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

I will always remember the kindness of Simon and his mom. They showed us the work area. Such a beautiful neighborhood! We love the friends we have made through this forum. Simon, great move! You can trust your road trip guitars create personal events and those guitars are in good hands. Larry and Feste are special indeed. We considered putting the McKnight Bullet guitar but it sold before hand.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:05 PM

Last week, I let it go to the next player, in Michigan. He is in for a treat if he is not personally familiar with Simon's guitars. I learned a new piece of music on it, one I'd never thought about playing before. And wonder now why I didn't.

I have played several Fay guitars now and now have a feel for the similarities in his workmanship and tonal palette. Each one has been superb. Compared to the one I own, the Desert Ironwood has a noticeably different sound, not necessarily better, certainly not worse, just.. not the same. Like mine, it is as clear and balanced as it is possible for a guitar to be. I enjoyed two weeks of daily pleasure.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop