The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-20-2023, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Poor neck angle on a relatively new Yamaha FG5

Hi all,

Wanted to get some insights on the set up of this guitar. Please see this thread for some background:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=669748

The guitar arrived with low action and very little saddle height left. The measurements are: Sting height at 12th fret is 2 mm on 6, 1.5 mm on 1. Straight edge across the bottom of the bridge shows a dip of about 3 mm at the edges. There is almost no neck relief to speak of. Straight edge on the fretboard hits about 1.5-2 mm below the front of the bridge. Both the Breedlove and Larrivee clear the bridge by 1 mm or so.

So it looks like this has poor neck angle, most likely from the get go. Options are return it (30 days to decide, lose shipping one way, I can return to my local store) or keep it and address the issues as needed.

For me, I'd want to come up about 0.75 mm on the saddle, so that right away will get me better break angle (I think where it's at now is the minimal of acceptable). Depending on what the neck does, that could get me several years without issue. When the neck starts moving, I could probably take 1.5 mm of the bridge without any ill effects and keep the action where I like it.

Ultimately this will need a re-set at some point. I've been getting more adventurous in my repairs and actually want to do some neck re-sets on some beaters. I could possible do it myself in a few years if needed.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. I'm leaning toward addressing this (and seeing if L&M might refund a bit of money). Images for discussion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FG5bridgesmall.jpg (69.7 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Small FG5.jpg (135.5 KB, 281 views)
Old 05-20-2023, 10:38 AM

Just for clarity, what is the string height above the top (the soundboard) at the front edge of the bridge?
Old 05-20-2023, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

10 mm at 6, just under at 1.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:30 AM

Plenty of ways to address this 'issue', which based on current action at 12th fret isn't reeeally an issue. But nonetheless, this is kinda common also with martins. and perhaps I'd be pissed by this issue on a FG5 level guitar.

You can see my post how I fixed this on my djr10 here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...7&postcount=12
Old 05-21-2023, 11:42 AM

IMHO by the looks of the pics that saddle height is fine and if anything your action is really low and could even be raised a bit unless you like it like that of course. I don't think you have anything to worry about. 100mm is a bit low over the soundboard but again not the end of the world either.

If it plays good, is intonated well and you like the tone then fa-get-about it.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:44 AM

Default Geometry not ideal…

But if you bring the action up to a more sensible height then you’ll gain some saddle height, string height above soundboard, and break angle. You could raise the saddle by 1 mm and still have a good action, better suited to all round playing.

If you are reasonably handy with repairs then lowering the bridge or even a neck reset would be future options as you’ve identified.

If you like the instrument I’d be tempted to keep it after negotiating a partial refund from the vendor.

Last edited by nikpearson; 03-31-2024 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:26 AM

The neck angle may not be ideal, but if it has low action with that much saddle showing, it doesn't need a neck reset. It just needs the action raised.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

You're saying the action is low/too low for you? And the saddle likewise?

Put a new, higher saddle in. See how you like that. Sand down to taste. But if it is playing and intonating nicely...why bother.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-22-2023, 09:03 AM

OP's concern is about the timing/impact of future neck movement, not "does it need a reset today?". It does appear that neck is relatively underset, which means less time until the inevitable reset, all of which the OP understands.

These guitars retail for about $1400 USD. I'd be inclined to return it for a better necked example, but I'm not looking for the "reset experience," so the OP's needs may differ. His eyes are wide open about what may lie ahead, and he's prepared to shoulder his share of Yamaha's imposed burden, if he keeps it. Under these facts, I'd tell the seller my story and ask for some money back. Depending on the amount/response, I might then return the guitar within the window allowed.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:57 PM

Try a temporary shim under the saddle. If it still isn’t right, I’d return it/exchange for another. You shouldn’t be worrying about this on a new guitar.
Rb
Old 05-22-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbs2005 View Post
Straight edge on the fretboard hits about 1.5-2 mm below the front of the bridge.
That'd be a red flag for me on a new guitar. I'd return it and order a new one.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I appreciate everyone's comments. Just to clarify, the guitar was gently used and was heavily discounted but the neck issue was not disclosed. With the current neck angle issue, I would only keep it with another significant discount which I will be asking for. And still may just move it along.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Just to close the loop I've decided to return the guitar. Thanks all for your input.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

One more updated comment. I was in the position of needing a dreadnought for a project and had sold off all of my others. I specifically wanted a 25 inch scale if I could find one so I naturally started looking for Yamahas. I found a demo version of an FG3 at Long and McQuade (sold as new with warranty, about 25% off new price) and decided to pull the trigger. Arrived today and the neck set is bang on with the straightedge just above the bridge by a mm or so. Set up is great too.

I will also comment that I'm not sure if the premium for the FG5 over the FG3 is worth it based on sound alone, but that could also be coloured by my experience of having a FG5 with a sick neck.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-06-2024, 07:56 PM

Most of my Yamahas have a low saddle. No issues with them. Thanks for the comment about the 3 vs 5. I got rid of a FGX5 and am thinking of grabbing an FSX3.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair